The general equation to define SHM is

a=-w²x

if it's -w² then isn't the minus sign pointless seeing as it will be the same as +w²?
unless it's -(w²

Anyone know?

Also if it asks me in the exam what's the definition for SHM that I write? (not the equation)
Quote by Gaz_m2k5

a=-w²x

if it's -w² then isn't the minus sign pointless seeing as it will be the same as +w²?
unless it's -(w²

Anyone know?

Also if it asks me in the exam what's the definition for SHM that I write? (not the equation)

The minus in phisics is generally for direction rather than a quantity because physics is the study of physical quantitys.

it took me a while to understand to but it is minus because of DIRECTION
Unless it means -((W^2)x X )
Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
I vote you for Australian of the Year.

Quote by Dunjma
lol yea chuck the sicky! what an aussie tradition angels fighter i too vote u for aussie of the year

Quote by Deliriumbassist
I call bullsh*t. White people don't get sacked.

Visit my friends Site
Quote by dazzler16
The minus in phisics is generally for direction rather than a quantity because physics is the study of physical quantitys.

it took me a while to understand to but it is minus because of DIRECTION

Yeah I understand the equation that the acceleration is always towards the centre so the opposite of the velocity, but if I get a question in the exam that says w=5 and x=2
is acceleration

-(5²2 = -50

or

-5²(2) = 50

EDIT: I guess seeing as the acceleration is towards the centre it would be -50 to oppose the velocity. But they should really write -(w²x in all these text books then.
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
Yeah I understand the equation that the acceleration is always towards the centre so the opposite of the velocity, but if I get a question in the exam that says w=5 and x=2
is acceleration

-(5²2 = -50

or

-5²(2) = 50

Is it going TOWARDS the centre cos then it will be + if it is going forward and - if it is reversing towards the centre

I would advise putting down the minus cos that is what I remember and I did it about 2 weeks ago.
Quote by Gaz_m2k5

a=-w²x

unless it's -(w²

Anyone know?

As mentioned before, the minus sign is merely for direction. The minus sign is not a direction of w as w is only a scalar.

It might make more sense if you think of it as a = -X * w². The minus sign is referring to the direction of X i.e. position of the SHM object (whether it be a point on a wave or a block on a spring etc)

SHM equations are defined from the fact that the acceleration is directly proportional to the negative of the position (X).

I hope i didn't make things worse by not talking in simple language.
But the short answer is..yes..its like -(w²

EDIT:
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
is acceleration

-(5²2 = -50

or

-5²(2) = 50

EDIT: I guess seeing as the acceleration is towards the centre it would be -50 to oppose the velocity. But they should really write -(w²x in all these text books then.

Just as a general rule -5²(2) and -(5²2 are the same thing..when you see -5² you should immediately assume that it is equal to -(5 * 5)
However it is different when it is (-5)²

So -5²(2) = -(5²2 = -50

But (-5)²2 = 50
Quote by AVA_Plus44_182
Kill your friend, kill your friend's girlfriend, then kill the person she's cheating on him with. Then rape all three of them, then kill yourself, then rape yourself.

Member of the "I watched The cptncacklefanny Soap Opera" club
Last edited by NovaLau at Jan 19, 2007,
Quote by NovaLau
As mentioned before, the minus sign is merely for direction. The minus sign is not a direction of w as w is only a scalar.

It might make more sense if you think of it as a = -X * w². The minus sign is referring to the direction of X i.e. position of the SHM object (whether it be a point on a wave or a block on a spring etc)

SHM equations are defined from the fact that the acceleration is directly proportional to the negative of the position (X).

I hope i didn't make things worse by not talking in simple language.
But the short answer is..yes..its like -(w²

thanks.