Iv been looking into fenders receantly and i was wondering, does it really matter where it is made?

i mean are korean models really that bad?
Gibson SG (Heavily modded)
Fender USA Strat
Hohner 12 String-uber rare

Fender Silverface Twin

EHX Big Muff
Digitech badmonkey overdrive
Boss DS-1
Blackstar Distortion X
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Delay
Digitech Whammy
all i know is that americans are the best...iv got one and it sounds better than my friends mexican.
Quote:
guy-get an ak-47 shoot him and blame it on his dog
man-he dont have one... can someone siriously help me?!
guy-just jack one froma local pet store. throw it in his yard. shoot him. duck tape the ak-14 to the dogs paw. run.. use gloves.
Yes, it does matter in terms of quality. Most often guitars made in Indonesia/China/etc are poorly constructed, while guitars made in Mexico/Korea/etc. are decently made, and guitars made in USA/Japan/etc are generally made pretty well. That's in my opinion, anyways.
on the same token ive got a mexican telecaster and it plays better than some americans ive played, its best just to try out a range of guitars and if you like it, buy it

**** anyone else
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Quote by tommyt
on the same token ive got a mexican telecaster and it plays better than some americans ive played, its best just to try out a range of guitars and if you like it, buy it

**** anyone else

there is no way in hell a mexican telecaster sounds better than americans.. first of all, mexicans use one of the cheapest woods on the telecaster.
My Axes:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 Telecaster
Fender 62 Stratocaster
Fender American Standard Telecaster
they can sound just as good. depends on the player mainly
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Quote by somewhat_here

i wish i was fat so i can buy xxl clothes during liquidation
Quote by toogoodd
there is no way in hell a mexican telecaster sounds better than americans.. first of all, mexicans use one of the cheapest woods on the telecaster.

You're an idiot.
Quote by Pacifica112J
You're an idiot.

ditto,

the main difference is the hardware, the mexican hardware is not as 'good'/built to last/tolerate as much wear and tear as the american, saying that, one of my friends got an american tele, and his hardware was pretty shite in terms of durability (could have been down to his heavy playing?)
I did an A/B comparison on the American and Mexican '63 reissue strats, and I really could not find a difference. I nearly had both of them in pieces trying to find a difference. The only differences I could really note is the difference in weight on the machine heads and some differences in the wiring. I played both for a good period of time, and they both felt and sounded close to each other. So, I ended up with the Mexican and kept the extra money in my pocket.
hmmm so its build quality thats the real issue then?

so a korean might not be such a good idea?
Gibson SG (Heavily modded)
Fender USA Strat
Hohner 12 String-uber rare

Fender Silverface Twin

EHX Big Muff
Digitech badmonkey overdrive
Boss DS-1
Blackstar Distortion X
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Delay
Digitech Whammy
i'm not really in the know for Fenders, but yes indeed, guitars made in korea, china etc are poor quality, where as japan and america are up the top.

for example; an esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 is made in korea by machine, as compared to the esp eclipse made in japan by hand. The eclipse is just such better quality, yet having said that, everyones tastes are different. you might be after the sound that a cheaper gutiar makes, althought it's not exactly likely :P. If possible, just test out the guitars.

in answer to your question, yes. it will affect quality in terms of durabilty, and sound.
It depends on the individual guitar; but there are some general trends as to difference in quality. Just make sure you can test it out before you buy it.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Last edited by MuffinMan at Jan 19, 2007,
People grossly over-exagerrate the gaps in build quality. Korean/Chinese guitars around the £200-300 price mark aren't that bad at all. Most of them will hold up very well.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
There's no reason why a Mexi fender shouldn't be as good, although I think they have cheaper pickups in them, and there is a lot more variation in the build quality.

The last guy who I talked to who was really happy with a Mexican telecaster actually worked in a guitar shop, and said he just kept playing every one that came into the store until he found one he liked, then as soon as be bought it he took it apart and re-insulated all the wiring. I've played some nice mexis, but be prepared to shop around.

Check them out very thoroughly before you buy. Same should go for all guitars, regardless of origin, don't let someone sell you a dud strat with some strange humming and popping noises in the switching, and roughly installed frets just because it's made in America. That just means you're less likely to get a crap one, not that they never get it wrong.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Quote by Hakanku

the main difference is the hardware, the mexican hardware is not as 'good'/built to last/tolerate as much wear and tear as the american,

All the guitar hardware produced for North American operations, whether assembled at the Corona, Ca factory or at the Ensenada, Mexico factory is produced at Corona.

Additionally Fender North America has only one line of hardware components in production. Having a second line would cost too much money compared to any savings that could be made or advantages.

So the hardware is exactly the same. Chances are though that there are 2 quality control grades at the chain output: one grade for US assembly and one for mexican assembly, additionally to any discarding grade.

What goes on in the Ensenada factory:

- manufactures strings, pickups and wooden amplifier cabinets.
- sanding, painting of rough guitar necks and bodies shipped from the Corona factory
- assembly of guitars and amplifiers with the MIM stamp.

All other guitar parts, like hardware, and amplifer parts like circuit boards and metal chassis, are manufactured at the Corona Factory.
Quote by TwoString
I did an A/B comparison on the American and Mexican '63 reissue strats, and I really could not find a difference...

Most of the guitars MIM are made out of poplar.
There are some occasional limited MIM runs made out of alder.
Unless your Eric Johnson OR you know before hand which is which I highly HIGHLY doubt you could tell between a MIM and MIA strat through the same gear.
Quote by Dan88
i'm not really in the know for Fenders, but yes indeed, guitars made in korea, china etc are poor quality, where as japan and america are up the top.

Production has moved out of the US and Japan for cost reasons.
Korean manufacturing quality was only slightly behind Japan's.
More than 70% of all guitars produced in the world are made in Korea.
The only reason why some products MIK are inferior in quality to MIJ, is only because the companies placing orders deliberately ask handwork reduction to shave costs and sell cheap, sometimes a lot cheaper than MIJ, not because korean workmanship isn't able to produce high quality.
Quote by 7PlaGues
quality, craftmanship, parts for fender go in this order.

american
japanese
mexican
korea
indonesia

Fender doesn't own manufacturing plants outside North America.
They subcontract to local manufacturers everywhere in Asia.
Quote by toogoodd

I would tend to agree but with some nuance:

- because of all the automation in the manufacturing processes, and the standardization of these processes, whether performed in Mexico, Korea, Japan or USA, it's getting harder and harder to distinguish what makes instruments produced in different locations different, and how exactly the extra costs of what are believed superior facilities translate in superior quality noticeable by buyers.

- while poplar is not the cheapeast of woods, it is cheaper than alder.
Quote by toogoodd

oh yeah, because cheap wood means worse sound [/sarcasm]

no block of wood is identical right? so there's a chance that someone got a particularly good mexican tele, that sounds better than an american tele, because it was made from an unusually good quality piece of wood.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Are you perchance looking into the Lite Ash range?

They have pretty awesome specs on paper...Birdseye neck, Duncans, Ash body, solid brass, chrome plated, american-spaced 2 point trem with a full sized trem block (also brass).

I'm looking at Lite Ash strats. They are the best guitars in the price range over in the UK imo...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Look at it this way.
How many things in your house have 'made in china' on them?
The workers are good they're just given shit money and shit woods.
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
Psh. I can can play fleshlight acoustically.

*masturbates*