Hey everyone,

I've been getting forearm pain in my fretting arm the past few days since picking up the pace on technique exercises. None of it is particularly hard, but the pain is sharp and in the forearm, not the wrist, although that of course does get sore once in awhile.

My thumb can't rest on the middle of the neck well, never has, so sometimes I have to adjust my grip, either baseball-bat style for some riffs or slower parts, or allowing my index finger's knuckle to brush against the neck. Bad technique I know, but my thumb is messed up, and my fingers are all a bit misshapen from cracking my knuckles when I was younger.

Also, my guitar is a Squier Fat Strat, I actually don't know what wood it is, or the specific type of neck. Maybe someone can tell me as well?

Thanks.
Just take a break every now and then to give your muscles some time to adapt..Keep up with high speeds and stuff but take a 1-2 day breaks between exercise regimees...That works for me when my hands go sore...What kind of strings are you using?Try smaller gauges for better tension...And if nothing of these helps you,then teke your time to improve your technique cause you might have some really big problems later...
My gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Fender DG-11E Black (Acoustic)
-Marshall AVT50
-Cry Baby "Wylde Wah"
-Roland RE-20 Space Echo
^^
you might have some really big problems later

Yeh thats very true dont play if u have pain, just chill a bit. Just like u wouldnt workout if your back was killing you.
Yeah, I didn't mention that I retuned to standard after playing in C with heavy gauge strings for the past few months... think the change is doing it too?

What about the way I'm holding it could be doing this? I mean it shouldn't hurt to do it the right way after all this time. My thumb is really screwy though, and my fingers aren't straight... don't know what exactly could be doing it.

I'm definitely not doing any hard technique training today, but they are really useful.
Quote by revan1013

My thumb can't rest on the middle of the neck well, never has, so sometimes I have to adjust my grip, either baseball-bat style for some riffs or slower parts, or allowing my index finger's knuckle to brush against the neck.

Quote by merfsullivan
The way you're holding it is strainging the muscle.

It's not a question of how he grips it. It's a simple question of weight ratios.

Sorry. Had to be done. Hadn't heard a Monty Python joke in a while.

But, seriously, I think you may want to get it checked out. Eiter that or just exercise your forearms more often. I've seen these little things where you squeeze it to strengthen your forearms. Just two red handles and a twisted top. Hard to explain. Anyway, hope that helped.
yeah neither have I, on the MP joke... I should see one again actually...

I might get it checked out, but I live in Turkey atm and don't know how to explain myself quite that well... so I've decided to take a day off from technique training in between sessions.

Let's hope it works.
do you stretch out your fingers and arms before playing? Whenever i play i shake my hands and slowly rotate my wrist before i play, if i don't i go slower and it hurts in my wrist/forearm when i play fast too (i broke my arm 3 times) but try that or try a diff guitar
Its not guitar playing thats hurting your wrist, its what you do whilst lying in bed at night without a girlfriend that makes your forearm sore.

Just joking.

Dont hold the neck with the 100% proper technique. I dont hold it perfect but i can still play pretty much anything i want. I can also be caused by a thick neck. thicker necks tend to be more stressful on the wrist/arm.
try wearing ur guitar a bit higher, u can get ur fretting hand under the neck better and not strain ur hand so bad, also u get to look like John Lennon with a big funny grin on ur face bopping back and forth
Quote by EndOfNothing656
do you stretch out your fingers and arms before playing? Whenever i play i shake my hands and slowly rotate my wrist before i play, if i don't i go slower and it hurts in my wrist/forearm when i play fast too (i broke my arm 3 times) but try that or try a diff guitar

Broke ur arm playin guitar??? never heard of that
of course he didnt break his arm from playing guitar, but weird injuries have happened. Ive pulled a groin muscle and pinched a back nerve, both in about a month, playing Madden 2007 on the PS2. hahaha but i seriously did injure myself twice playing madden.
Video game injuries FTW!

Yeah, I tend to not hold it properly... on purpose... my hands simply CAN'T do the proper positioning behind the neck. I wear my guitar around my stomach, which is barely lower than my sitting position would be.

Also, I may be holding it at a funny angle, I still can't tell what it is exactly.

I'm using a Squier Fat Strat, and I've recently noticed that I want to have a light guitar with a thin neck next time, maybe and Iceman or Epi SG.

Yeah, that'd kick ass.
Oppression, quiet and Repressed
Swept under the seams
the bed of the acquiesced
where we sleep, insomniac dreams
I don't know about your fat strat, but I'm pretty sure the neck of a SG is actually thicker.

Looking into guitars with thinner necks can be a good idea though, atleast go to your local music store and try some out (Ibanez are pretty much standard when it comes to thin necks) to see if it's easier on your forearm.
You might be trying to go too fast which would cause tension and then cause pain.
I would like to go slower, but I play fast songs, but only after playing them slowly and moving up the BPMs. But I definitely don't play fast if it hurts, then I know I need to go slower. Good advice though.
Oppression, quiet and Repressed
Swept under the seams
the bed of the acquiesced
where we sleep, insomniac dreams