hi i recently purchased a nice Jackon king v with an alder body and fixed bridge. the stock duncan designed pickups are not good enough for me so i am looking for a replacement in the bridge.

I play a lot of metal, stuff like children of bodom, megadeth, iron maiden and others but also play clean and softer metal type stuff in the style of isis, explosions in the sky and pelican among others.

Any suggestions? doesn't have to be seymour duncan. I play through a peavey bandit solid state high gain amp. I would like a pickup that has a sweet lead tone and punchy hard hitting rhythm tone for metal but one that can also soften up. I had a jb once upon a time and i found it lacking in the bass/palm mute punch department . great pickup though.

Any help would be great, cheers

ps. while i am on here might i also ask for suggestions on a new bridge pickup for my godin detour, maple body with poplar wings whatever they are same kinda stuff but less emphasis on metal playing.
An EMG 81 can help you a lot there. Also, because it is an active pickup, it takes batteries and you can mod it to have 2 9V in series. This makes palm muting tighter and gives you a lot more head room.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
Dimarzio Norton - good, versatile all-rounder...sod EMG's unless you're going to go all active, not worth the messing trying to mix them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Well generally speaking you wouldn't want to get active pickups if you have a solid state amp. I don't know if you're planning on upgrading to tube or not, but if you are going to stay SS for awhile, I'd go the passive route. Personally I prefer passives in any situation, but thats just me. No real reason behind it.

Anyways, sounds like you'd appreciate a DiMarzio ToneZone. And I'm looking on DiMarzio's site and I just noticed a brand new pickup, the D Activator. They look REALLY good, definitely my next pickup. Just go to DiMarzio.com and look in the high powered humbucker section to see those.

Those are my first suggestions. A good Seymour Duncan option for an Alder guitar is the Dimebucker. I'd check that out, but I think you'd get more of what you want from the DiMarzios I suggested.
We're only strays.
SD Custom Custom maybe?
ive heard goods about it
Rig:
-Jackson Soloist: SL2HT (On its way to Canada)
-Epiphone Les Paul Gothic w/ SD JB (Process of Modding)
-Art & Lutherie Spruce CW
-Dunlop Crybaby (Process of Modding)

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
Dimebucker's bad enough in mahogany, put one of them in alder and you'll get so much treble only bats will be able to hear it! Tone Zone's not a brilliant shout either, good for shredding and general flash stuff, but it won't clean up for love nor money. Not a bad pickup, but it's got a very distinctive sound and it's not particularly versatile.

Dunno about the D-Activator...I know they're on the new Ibanez Xiphos and I think on their new V model, but I haven't got a clue how they perform!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Glad nobody said "DONT CHANGE PICKUPS IT WONT HELP" yet. The pickups on jacksons are really horrible
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by steven seagull
Dimebucker's bad enough in mahogany, put one of them in alder and you'll get so much treble only bats will be able to hear it! Tone Zone's not a brilliant shout either, good for shredding and general flash stuff, but it won't clean up for love nor money. Not a bad pickup, but it's got a very distinctive sound and it's not particularly versatile.

Dunno about the D-Activator...I know they're on the new Ibanez Xiphos and I think on their new V model, but I haven't got a clue how they perform!

Taken from the DiMarzio site:

"Have you ever heard a bridge pickup that made a guitar sound like a giant mosquito attack? If you've run into this problem, The Tone Zone® is the solution. The Tone Zone® is hot enough to qualify as a high-output pickup, but it has a wider dynamic range-hard picking will produce a lot of power, and softer picking will be much cleaner and quieter. It's got tremendous bass and low-mid response to reinforce the bottom end and make the overall sound bigger. The highest single notes have depth, and chords sound huge. Patented dual-resonance coils reproduce more overtones than you’d expect from such a fat-sounding pickup. It makes a great match with an Air Norton™, PAF Joe™ or PAF Pro®, and split-coil mode produces an excellent single-coil sound as well."
We're only strays.
Every guitar with DiMarizos I've played has been too proggy for my tastes... not that they're bad, I just don't think it's what you're looking for.

Putting a Duncan Distortion would defentially improve things.

bareknucklepickups.co.uk if you have an unlimited budget... they are the best.

EMGs have no tone and they are pretty dull. Plus you'll be screwed on the cleans.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Taken from the DiMarzio site:

"Have you ever heard a bridge pickup that made a guitar sound like a giant mosquito attack? If you've run into this problem, The Tone Zone® is the solution. The Tone Zone® is hot enough to qualify as a high-output pickup, but it has a wider dynamic range-hard picking will produce a lot of power, and softer picking will be much cleaner and quieter. It's got tremendous bass and low-mid response to reinforce the bottom end and make the overall sound bigger. The highest single notes have depth, and chords sound huge. Patented dual-resonance coils reproduce more overtones than you’d expect from such a fat-sounding pickup. It makes a great match with an Air Norton™, PAF Joe™ or PAF Pro®, and split-coil mode produces an excellent single-coil sound as well."

I've got a Tone Zone in my Epi Custom, and it's pretty....twangy. Very trebley and midsy, not too bassy. It's pretty good for kinda Megadeth tone but I don't like it too much on REALLY heavy stuff.
I guess I'll steer clear of the ToneZones then. I really want to know what the D Activator is like.
We're only strays.
I'm getting a set of Bill Lawrence L-500XL and L-500R for my KVX10.
a guy told me that the tremolo bar was called the "distortionator"