Well, i had a crappy bridge pickup on my strat which the coils inside just broke.
i am going to buy new magnetic wire ti rewind it. so i have a few questions as its my first time.

1- what type and size of coil wire to buy?
2- if i increased the number of windings than it was before will make it hotter?
3- is there a way to make it noiseless?
4- is there a specific way/pattern of winding?
5- how i can take advantage of the rewinding opportunity?

thanks
Finally I understand the feelings of the few,
Tamer
can i replace the magnet to ceramic for instance?
Tamer
Quote by Pink_Waters
Well, i had a crappy bridge pickup on my strat which the coils inside just broke.
i am going to buy new magnetic wire ti rewind it. so i have a few questions as its my first time.

1- what type and size of coil wire to buy?
2- if i increased the number of windings than it was before will make it hotter?
3- is there a way to make it noiseless?
4- is there a specific way/pattern of winding?
5- how i can take advantage of the rewinding opportunity?

thanks

1. 42 AWG inlsulated coil wire, you can get this in small quantities stewmac.
2. yes
3. If you sheild your guitar and pot the pickup noise shouldn't be a problem.
4. The direction of wind matters, there isn't a pattern when you wind by hand it ends up scatterwound which supposedly sounds better than if it was machine wound.
5.Make it sound better than before!

Replacing the magents with ceramic will be difficult, mainly because ceramic rods suitable for pickups aren't widely available.
how to do scatterwinding correctly?
Tamer
You just...wind.

Scatter winding just happens when winding by hand. The winds are not perfect and unform like on machine woud pickups, they are "scattered".
Just wind trying to keep the coil even and it will end up scatterwound.
if u reverse-wind the middle pickup, u'll get humbuckers on the 2nd and 4th position on a 5way switch.
that might be cool
overwinding the coil wold be cool too i want it. nice glassy tone =]
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
how to check if my middle one is reverse-wounded or not?
if not, does switching leads do the trick or i have to wind it again in the opposite direction of the bridge one?
Tamer
You middle pickup is probably already RWRP. Anyway just reversing the leads won't work the magnet has to have opposite polarity.
can someone give me a photo or diagram of how the stacked single coils are designed and wounded?
Tamer
Quote by ECistheBest
if u reverse-wind the middle pickup, u'll get humbuckers on the 2nd and 4th position on a 5way switch.

That is laughably inaccurate. All that happens is that the hum's cancelled due to something I've forgotten.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
i need a diagram of how to make a stacked single coil pickup?
Tamer