Ok so the story here is that I have an upcoming audition at which I should play a song(s) that suit my personal playing style the best. I've thought of trying to fit 3 songs to the list, one being classical (played with piano), one being blues/jazz (guitar) and one being instrumental rock guitar kind of thing (Vai/Satriani/etc. kind of stuff).

The problem here is there's a time limit of approximately 5 minutes. So I'm asking for your help in finding songs that I could fit in the time limit and which would not be too complex or simple for that matter. To give a sort of guideline in I'd say the classical piano song should be around the same skill level as Bach's inventions (I'm not too good at piano as yet). The blues/jazz doesn't really have too much of a skill limit, just don't make it too sick. And, well, the instrumental guitar song can be quite challenging, just remembering it should also be quite short.

So all three songs should be around 1-2 mins long on average.

Thanks in advance ,
OldSong
You could do Für Elise on Piano.
Stevie Ray Vaughans Scuttle Buttin' for Blues.
Instrumental.. Arpeggios from hell, haha
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
I'm not sure if you might wanna do this, but you could write some of your stuff, thats what I'd do
Gear:
Guitars: Jackson RX10D
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Cort Z47
Adam Black Libra Extreme

Amp: Line 6 Spider III
Bugera 6260-212 Combo
Quote by elvenkindje
You could do Für Elise on Piano.
Stevie Ray Vaughans Scuttle Buttin' for Blues.
Instrumental.. Arpeggios from hell, haha

Yeah I actually thought about playing Für Elise but I figured it's just a bit too lame cause they probably hear it from every other pianist there.

I'll be sure to give Scuttle Buttin' a closer look.

@johnm2k6: That's my plan B.
Purple Haze

Just played that at my little school giggy last night! It went well.
Do a cover of the South Park intro. Im not joking.

Errmm....Little Wing or Castles Made of Sand Intro are both about a minute long.
It would be like somebody saying, "I don't want to use words to talk, I want to just go by feel, I want to rub my penis all over them. I don't want to talk" - John Frusciante's view on people who don't want to learn music theory
Alright thanks for the replies, I really appreciate the help. I found some suitable piano songs from some random books so that's in order now. Still missing the instrumental song most of all. Further suggestions are more than welcome.

Quote by x0dus
Do a cover of the South Park intro. Im not joking.

I gotta admit that playing a South Park song at an audition sounds really weird. But I'll think about it.
eruption?
"Marty Friedman > You" Club.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Buy the toilet Hendrix crapped in for the full "Jimi Hendrix Experience"

PM me if you think my drummer looks like angry kid

so far 61 people think he looks like angry kid
try a short melodic modif thing, like Melodica by Neil Zaza - it's a very catchy melody, and it sounds great even without the backing track

or perhaps something like Wishful Thinking by John Petrucci

i wouldn't suggest going up there and playing something like No Boundaries or something; i believe that a song that grabs the audience (in this case, judges) in a way that virtually can't be done at 24 nps is needed for an audition...

or to be really leet, you can compose a song that switches genres...not only will it show what you can do, but also that you can smoothly make transitions and make your music much more creative and ambient
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Quote by axe_grinder247
i wouldn't suggest going up there and playing something like No Boundaries or something; i believe that a song that grabs the audience (in this case, judges) in a way that virtually can't be done at 24 nps is needed for an audition...

or to be really leet, you can compose a song that switches genres...not only will it show what you can do, but also that you can smoothly make transitions and make your music much more creative and ambient

True, I wasn't planning on playing anything near the lines of Batio. And yes, composing the song myself would be good in that I could actually combine the blues/instrumental guitar things into one 3-4 minute song instead of having to play bits and pieces of 2 songs.

Again, many thanks for all the suggestions!
For a sweet acoustic song, you could do "Patterns In The Ivy" by Opeth, for blues you could try "Scuttle Buttin'" by Stevie Ray Vaughan, and the shortest rock song (actually, more like grindcore) is "Hungry Hungry Hippos" by Anal Cunt, but if you were going to do that, do vocals aswell. It adds more effect.

--Masochist Lust