Page 1 of 2
Ok, so i got a question or two.

Who here's applied/applying? hows it going? got your offers etc?

And also, anyone know anything about the Goldsmith's rules on halls of residence? Because i live in London, they don't guarantee me a place, and there is NO WAY im paying the fortune to commute there every day, besides i don't rekon i'll get there on time anyway. If i say that my residence is my house in Norfolk...say, my parents are relocating there now im at uni -Would they accept that even though my application has my London address?

Bleh!

Alex
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
Me, I got all my 6 offers and I've accepted my firm and insurance choice.

I applied back in October, and you?

Hmm, about your situation, do what everyone else does and live on campus.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by R_H_C_P
Me, I got all my 6 offers and I've accepted my firm and insurance choice.

I applied back in October, and you?

I applied in December But i got 3 conditional offers, I've sent work off to UEA and Goldsmiths, still waiting for a response from Essex

Where'd you apply? and to do what?

edit: yes, thats the problem, i want to live there in halls on campus, but i dont get guaranteed a place, i have to wait til after the start of term in case a place frees up
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
My college just sent them off on the deadline day.

stupid ****s.

mines been finished from around the beginning of November.

Ethical Hacking at Northumbria Uni ftw!
CCNP & CCIE at Cisco Academy of Excellence ftw!
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
I'm doin' Business Studies or Business Studies & HRM.

I applied to Manchester Uni, Sheffield Hallam, and the rest were Leeds, Preston and Sheff Hallam for another course.

Don't worry, all people who I know applied in December got most of thier choices, some people only done it in January, idiots.
Don't be afraid to care"

I think if you talk to the student support/housing people at the uni and explain they should be cool with it- if they are anything like any other uni.
I didn't get a chance to find out since I declined their offer when I got my results a couple of years back
PSN: Shibuib
Steam: Drag_on88rr@hotmail.com
add me

Elvis Presley aint got no soul, Chuck Berry is rock and roll.

日本語をシグに入れるのは馬鹿やキザ野郎のする事だぜ。
What? The campus accomodation's already taken? That's not right!
And there's always clearance for acommodation, you can try and get the last places.

EDIT: above me! Your avatar, it's that dog from that programme that was on aaaaaages ago, t'was so good! What was it called?
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by R_H_C_P
What? The campus accomodation's already taken? That's not right!
And there's always clearance for acommodation, you can try and get the last places.

well not taken per se, but they offer the places first to students outside London, cause they figure London residents could commute...
Quote by Dogruitag

Quote by LookAlive
ive applied and got 4 offers and 2 rejections (from my top 2 uni's mancs and edinburgh)
the course ive got offers for is sociology but im taking a gap year and moving to spain..
i dont know goldsmiths, but are there not student flats in the area as well as halls of residence? your generally guaranteed a place at all the places i checked out if your not fussy about self-catering and the like
Quote by ToolBass_dude
Ok, so i got a question or two.

Who here's applied/applying? hows it going? got your offers etc?

And also, anyone know anything about the Goldsmith's rules on halls of residence? Because i live in London, they don't guarantee me a place, and there is NO WAY im paying the fortune to commute there every day, besides i don't rekon i'll get there on time anyway. If i say that my residence is my house in Norfolk...say, my parents are relocating there now im at uni -Would they accept that even though my application has my London address?

Bleh!

Alex

My brother started there this year, he got a place in halls a couple of weeks ago and he was a late applicant. I doubt you'll have much trouble getting into halls. Even if you don't get in it won't be long before you get a place.

And I don't have to apply until later this year. Seems a hell of a lot closer this side of January 1st. . .
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Yeah there are flats, and i guess the chances of getting housed arent too slim, but i REALLY want to live in Halls, to meet all the people, live close, etc etc. Hell, i got a flat if i want it (I THINK), but i dont want to be a recluse.

edit Meths: Whats he studying? what's he think of it? I'm heading back down Friday after next to see it outside of open day shenannigans.
Quote by Dogruitag

Quote by LookAlive
My first choice is Nottingham.

I've got conditional offers from 5/5 unis, and the 6th is Bristol who havn't replied yet. Lazy bums. I don't wanna go to bristol anyway, I just applied because I needed 6.
I've applied for UWE (Bristol), Oxford Brookes, Essex, Lancs, Sussex and Brighton. Got in UWE essex and sussex... gotta wait to hear from the others....
When is the ideal time to apply? I'm doing AS at the moment, and have absolutely no idea what uni to go to or what course to do. When should I be reaching these decisions?

EDIT: Most of the people in this thread seem to be from London for some reason.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I've applied for UWE (Bristol), Oxford Brookes, Essex, Lancs, Sussex and Brighton. Got in UWE essex and sussex... gotta wait to hear from the others....

What to study? I was thinking of applying to UWE, but that was back when frankly i had no idea to do what. Essex are the only uni i haven't heard anything from at all yet.
Quote by Dogruitag

Quote by LookAlive
Quote by loonyguitarist
When is the ideal time to apply? I'm doing AS at the moment, and have absolutely no idea what uni to go to or what course to do. When should I be reaching these decisions?

you're teachers will push you to do it from like September, but they'll give you deadlines that aren't real- the actual deadline I THINK just went, but up till then they kept saying half term", end of Term....by christmas etc etc.

It's best to get it outta the way quick though. the hardest part is the personal ****ing statement -.-
Quote by Dogruitag

Quote by LookAlive
Quote by loonyguitarist

EDIT: Most of the people in this thread seem to be from London for some reason.

Apply in the first few weeks in October, plan everything before.
That way you're guaranteed to get a place in a course, providing you're good enough for it.

My personal statement went through like 10 drafts, the teacher kept changing it and writing unreadable notes on it.
Don't be afraid to care"

^ Oh god yeah, I hate personal statements.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Quote by R_H_C_P
Apply in the first few weeks in October, plan everything before.
That way you're guaranteed to get a place in a course, providing you're good enough for it.

My personal statement went through like 10 drafts, the teacher kept changing it and writing unreadable notes on it.

Hah I couldn't even be bothered to show it to my teacher. I got a C in english gcse (to prove my below average writing skills) and I sent my personal statement straight through and have got into 5/5 universities. I think I sent it through in november. The earlier the better.
^ What were the 5 universities?
Quote by Liberation
My teacher said everything was fine, then when i corrected the fews things he said and showed it to him, there was another teacher there who said it was shit. basically my form tutor is a lying ****.

So then i was panicking, with courseworks etc, wrote my current personal statement in 45 minutes and sent it off the next day.
Quote by Dogruitag

Quote by LookAlive
I've got the same kinda problem..

I got offers from Kings College, Southampton, Reading, Exeter and Royal Holloway, still haven't heard from LSE

Kings is my first choice, but seeing as I live in London, I don't get guaranteed accommodation. Having to live at home for the first year of uni would really suck So do I go to a place like Southampton where I get guaranteed accommodation, but has an ok course, or just go for Kings anyway because of the great course, even if that means I have to live at home?

Any help is appreciated
Nottingham, Manchester, Southampton (are all the ones I am considering)
and Bristol, Bath (just random ones I chose) and finally my backup, Salford. That's sucha crap university I now decided I wouldn't go there even if I got rejected everywhere else.
Gaz, what you want to study?
Quote by Dogruitag

Quote by LookAlive
^Haha, no-one seems to like Salford Uni around here (Manchester), whenever someone mentions it they cringe.
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by ToolBass_dude
Gaz, what you want to study?

First I wanted to do acoustical engineering but not many univerisites do that. Only Southampton and Salford, and as we know, Salford sucks.

I went to an interview at southampton and wasn't especially interested in the course.

Everywhere else I've applied to do aeronautical engineering so now my first choice is to do that at nottingham.
Quote by R_H_C_P

EDIT: above me! Your avatar, it's that dog from that programme that was on aaaaaages ago, t'was so good! What was it called?

Its Vince from Rex the runt!!!!!
PSN: Shibuib
Steam: Drag_on88rr@hotmail.com
add me

Elvis Presley aint got no soul, Chuck Berry is rock and roll.

日本語をシグに入れるのは馬鹿やキザ野郎のする事だぜ。
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
First I wanted to do acoustical engineering but not many univerisites do that. Only Southampton and Salford, and as we know, Salford sucks.

I went to an interview at southampton and wasn't especially interested in the course.

Everywhere else I've applied to do aeronautical engineering so now my first choice is to do that at nottingham.

Cool i know a lot of people in Nottingham, i hear very good things about it

Quote by Я-o-s-i-e
I've got the same kinda problem..

I got offers from Kings College, Southampton, Reading, Exeter and Royal Holloway, still haven't heard from LSE

Kings is my first choice, but seeing as I live in London, I don't get guaranteed accommodation. Having to live at home for the first year of uni would really suck So do I go to a place like Southampton where I get guaranteed accommodation, but has an ok course, or just go for Kings anyway because of the great course, even if that means I have to live at home?

Any help is appreciated

I'd say go for the place that you prefer the course at. Accommodation will get sorted eventually i guess, but no point going to study somewhere purely because you can live there.

And yes, it seems Londoners are the ones going to uni this year
Quote by Dogruitag

Quote by LookAlive
Rex the Runt! That's it ! What a great programme, shame they stopped it, t'was real decent adult humor stuff aswell.
Don't be afraid to care"

I have two conditional offers at the moment from Queens, Belfast, one unsuccessful attempt for Dundee (though I don't know why) and the rest have still to get back to me.
Lets All Goto Mars: The I The FLAMING LIPS Club
Last edited by daft at Jan 20, 2007,
Quote by ToolBass_dude
What to study? I was thinking of applying to UWE, but that was back when frankly i had no idea to do what. Essex are the only uni i haven't heard anything from at all yet.

Linguistics with English. Scary shit! What did you apply for in the end? This is my 2nd attempt after dropping out this time around... if you change your mind like in august you can go through clearing until the 2nd week of teaching and still get a place, halls and everything. Worth keeping in mind.
yeah i know, and i guess thats the back up plan. I'm applying for Creative writing at Winchester/Essex, (Got Winchester already, but don't want to go), English with Creative Writing at Goldsmiths, Plymouth, and UEA, and Creative Writing with Philosophy at Hertfordshire, which i applied for a laugh really, just to see if they'd accept me although i wrote nothing about philosophy in my statement

So far need to hear from Essex, UEA rejected me but offered me American Literature with Creative, which im not too keen about, but i've sent off a story anyway. Goldsmiths asked for some work, so i sent them my two favourite pieces and Winchester/Plymouth/Herts all accepted conditionally.
Quote by Dogruitag

Quote by LookAlive
I've applied to 5 Unis and got accepted to do English (conditionally of course) by: Cardiff, Exeter, Sussex and Portsmouth. Am waiting on a response from Southampton.

I'll be glad when all of this is over. Writing the personal statement is one of the most embarrassing processes that you'll ever have to go through. "Pick me, pick me; I'm great. None of my personality can come through on one side of A4, but I did play football for my college team. I really like English, just like the thousands of other disposable applicants that will apply to your University. The End. P.S - PICK ME!"

Yuck
Quote by BlackLuster
DisgruntledDuck, I wish there were more people like you in the world.

Quote by Jaimz
You Sir, have my utmost respect

I have Jaimz' utmost respect and BlackLuster wishes that there were more people like me in the world!
I'm in AS and not sure about going to uni, i don't know what i'd study and i don't like the idea of having a debt of 12 grand.
Talk to Erowid

Quote by dead-fish

Tell me when thy band shall return to mark a schedueled performance on my nearest venue's door!
Quoth teh Loomis, "Nevermore".

Member #9 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
My drummer is a dick, he just go unconditionals for Edinburgh so now he doesn't ahve to do any work in his 6th year that he's doing. ****.

/kind of related
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
In my school you have to apply the first 2 weeks back into the upper sixth form. Im doin AS too aand i wanna do engineering, electrical or mechanical. anyone know the best places for this type of thing?
Gear:
Wasburn x-40w/floyd roseOFR
Swineshead venom+warthog pups
Kustom 100 wt quad DFX,Boss MT-2,Ibanez TS-7
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.
Quote by x0rsist
In my school you have to apply the first 2 weeks back into the upper sixth form. Im doin AS too aand i wanna do engineering, electrical or mechanical. anyone know the best places for this type of thing?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,6734,00.html

Click on "Mechanical engineering" or "Electronic engineering". Should give you a good idea of where you'd wanna go
Quote by BlackLuster
DisgruntledDuck, I wish there were more people like you in the world.

Quote by Jaimz
You Sir, have my utmost respect

I have Jaimz' utmost respect and BlackLuster wishes that there were more people like me in the world!
Well Im in my first year at Sheffield Hallam doing Software Development. I applied in late October of 2005, but I was one of the first from my school to get the form in. Deadline is end of Dec/beginning of January. I sent off my accomodation form in January and didnt get my first choice for accomodation (although in hindsight I am far happier here than I could ever be anywhere else) but thats because it was the most popular.

I was accepted on all my courses but there is no need to wait till you get all responses to send off the accomodation stuff.

Just relax, there is no need to panic
Quote by DisgruntledDuck
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,6734,00.html

Click on "Mechanical engineering" or "Electronic engineering". Should give you a good idea of where you'd wanna go

Good call mate ! cheers
Gear:
Wasburn x-40w/floyd roseOFR
Swineshead venom+warthog pups
Kustom 100 wt quad DFX,Boss MT-2,Ibanez TS-7
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.
Doing AS at the moment but i plan on doing geology at uni. At the moment my first choice would be birmingham... since its close, i know the area very well and i shouldnt have a real problem getting in, plus a lot of my friends want to go there too.
Page 1 of 2