I think the great thing about the blues is that it is undefinable. To me blues isn't a 1, 4, 5 chord progression but rather a form of expression. It is the form experimenting with how you feel. Different people feel differently, so the blues don't always have to be sad. I like the jumpy West Coast sound just the same. Blues has evolved so much, that I don't know what to call the blues anymore. Even pop songs knowadays use the blues chord progression.
So really, what do the blues mean to you?
All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.
-Mark Twain
Blues to me is music that gives me a certain feeling...Can't explain it but there's no such feeling in shredding even if they play blues scales...and there's no feeling in todays pop music. Hard to explain..
Blues is one of the best ways to express yourself personally in a group setting, being a guitar player. But blues exceeds beyond musical boundaries and to some people it is a way of life. I admire great blues guitarists, not necessarily for their chops, which aren't amazing technical, but for the feeling/timbre they can create with minimal help.
Wynton Marsalis said it best: "The blues is like a vaccine; it's like they give you a little bit of the small pox to take the small pox away."
i feel that blues and jazz, especially live performances that have alot of jamming are special because they make up that other element

the sound isnt just a sum of its parts; theres something more.
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

It's the only music that turns nothing into everything.
Encore God & Asomodai- UG JHS Brotherhood

Encore God: fighting UG Zeppelin-centrism since 2002.
Quote by SuburbanCowboy
The Blues cant be explained, nor understood, in a universal sense.

You just gotta pick up a guitar and feel it...

well people are getting too metaphysical on this definition of the blues

to me the blues is a way to share emotions from performer to audience. using the ensemble more than just the words. blues lyrics are usually vague but the music is very clear on what emotion is being expressed.
Quote by acoustic87
I think the great thing about the blues is that it is undefinable. To me blues isn't a 1, 4, 5 chord progression but rather a form of expression. It is the form experimenting with how you feel. Different people feel differently, so the blues don't always have to be sad. I like the jumpy West Coast sound just the same. Blues has evolved so much, that I don't know what to call the blues anymore. Even pop songs knowadays use the blues chord progression.
So really, what do the blues mean to you?

Great idea for a thread.

To me its an expression. A way of artistically and musically conveying a feeling to another. That 'feeling' is up to. I do think that emotionally sadness is stronger and therefore makes for great blues. But if I listen to it and like it then it can't be to bad.
Blues to me is an easy way to get some guys together and have a sweet jam session.

It's a way to have some fun while thinking of events in life that weren't fun at all

It's a way to express your emotion in a way that'll make someone smile, or clap
Current Rig>>Jackson Phil Collin Signature Guitar/Ibanez Artcore>>>Modded Dunlop Crybaby>>>TS-9DXModded>>>Rat kit>>Octavia>>CE-20>>DD-7>>>Musicaman HD-120
The blues is a vocal and instrumental form of music based on the use of the blue notes and a repetitive pattern that typically follows a twelve-bar structure....That's what the blues means to me...

Jkz!lolz!1

SuburbanCowboy summed it up perfecto.
Blues for me, is a good way of letting all my emotions out, without having a breakdown.
Its also a fun way to spend the day.
Quote by SuburbanCowboy
The Blues cant be explained, nor understood, in a universal sense.

You just gotta pick up a guitar and feel it...

yeah, you cant describe it. you just gotta feel it.