So I'm looking for an Electric guitar ATM.
My price Limit is $1000 AUD (or about $750ish USD, but keep in mind that alot of guitars tend to be cheaper in the US anyways, so if you suggest something based on US prices it may end up being out of my price range).

I also like guitars with a wider neck. I want something around 43mm wide at the nut.
So far what I'm looking at is the Epiphone Les Paul Custom. Which should set me back about $900 or so Aussie dollars. It is 43mm wide at the nut. I would probably upgrade the tuners and pickups a little later on, depending, of course on how much I like the guitar stock.

I want something with humbuckers, needs to be able do some metal and some heavy rock. It will be mostly for doing rhythm work. Are there any other guitars I should be looking at?

Also I don't mind if the guitar is an LP style or a Strat style, I like both.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me and sorry if I have asked an obvious sounding question (I mainly play acoustic, and i don't know as much about electrics)
I think a Fender Fat Strat. Not sure of prices though. Great for anything
My Gear :
Fender American Strat in Metallic Red
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Fender 15 Watt Amp (Upgrade soon to a Marshall )
Red Furry guitar strap

John Frusciante - The Greatest Guitarist EVER
Schecter - They have similar necks and wood to the Les Paul.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Where are you shopping? The best price I've been able to get in Sydney on an Epi custom so far is $950, marked down from about $1,200. If there's a cheaper price I'd love to know where.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
The Epi is e great buy..!But save some more money and buy a more expensive guitar...You will be able to hear the difference after some years,but you are gonna be greatful you did save for a better one...Its like an investment man...
My gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Fender DG-11E Black (Acoustic)
-Marshall AVT50
-Cry Baby "Wylde Wah"
-Roland RE-20 Space Echo
Schecter Blackjack.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
i would say a washburn X50, thay re about 650USD, im not sure what it would be over there (due to inflation, and since you are in australia) but its great for rythm, and if you need to, solo work. it also has a killer clean to it too.

i suggest you check them out
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Quote by X_Op3th_X
The Epi is e great buy..!But save some more money and buy a more expensive guitar...You will be able to hear the difference after some years,but you are gonna be greatful you did save for a better one...Its like an investment man...

The thing about waiting till you can afford the best guitar in the world, is that in the meantime you don't have a decent guitar. Buying an Epi custom now, means having something that you can use to write songs, jam with your friends, rehearse, record a demo and play some clubs. You'd hate to miss out on that because you were still saving.
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

with a pickup change an Epi LP will last you a lifetime of enjoyment
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Quote by Cosimo_Zaretti
Where are you shopping? The best price I've been able to get in Sydney on an Epi custom so far is $950, marked down from about $1,200. If there's a cheaper price I'd love to know where.

Billy Hydes has them for $950 on their website, so I'm sure i could get it down a bit more. Or i could just leave it at that price and get them to throw in a Hardcase and some extra strings. Either way they still make a decent profit.

To the guy who suggested i buy a more expensive guitar. Yes i did think of that. But I play acoustic mainly and am going to be buying a new acoustic soon (before the electric probably) And if it was going to be my main instrument then yes i would spend more. But it's not, and thats as far as I can stretch on this particular instrument.

I'm not so big on the ESP's but i have heard some good things about the Schecter's so I will see if i can find some to play around on.

Also what are the differences between the standard and custom LP's.
Cos the standard is a bit cheaper, and if I'm probably going to upgrade the tuners and pickups later on anyway would i be better of buying that?
The epi is a good choice. You can get Fender MIM strats for about a grand here in Oz, but if you want some 'buckers, go for a fat srat, or upgrade the pups to hotrails etc.
Yeah i was thinking about the Fat Strat. But for what i want currently the Epi is looking better. If it was a bit cheaper than the Epi then I would probably get it. The Epi is cheaper, and I like the feel of it. And when i started playing i really liked strats. But currently I'm really digging the LPs. Allthough thats only a secondary consideration.
Epi LP >>>>>>>> MIM strat...Epi LPs are pretty awesome for the money...
Quote by tubadude
i would say a washburn X50, thay re about 650USD, im not sure what it would be over there (due to inflation, and since you are in australia) but its great for rythm, and if you need to, solo work. it also has a killer clean to it too.

i suggest you check them out

+1

or can you not get them in Australia?

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
i have one, its got coil tapping, its a great guitar indeed. my X40 pro arrived today, which also has coil tapping.

Quote by steven seagull
Yeah i was just looking at that website.
Thing is, that shop is in Queensland, I'm in Melbourne.
Other sides of the country.
If I can fid one ot try round here, then good, I'll see how I like it, but I'm not buying it just on specs without trying it. And the Epis are easy to try out cos all the big shops have them. Same deal with the fenders
hmm, i would try helping you find a place in melbourne, but its hard looking at australian sites from america

Quote by steven seagull
Quote by johnos
Billy Hydes has them for $950 on their website, so I'm sure i could get it down a bit more. Or i could just leave it at that price and get them to throw in a Hardcase and some extra strings. Either way they still make a decent profit.

The bastards. The Billy Hydes in-store list price on that guitar is about $1,200. I thought we'd done really well talking them down to $950, and now it turns out they were selling them for that price on the internet anyway. So much for our bargaining skills.
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Quote by Cosimo_Zaretti
The bastards. The Billy Hydes in-store list price on that guitar is about $1,200. I thought we'd done really well talking them down to $950, and now it turns out they were selling them for that price on the internet anyway. So much for our bargaining skills.

Unlucky dude.
Thats why you gotta check out the web beforehand to get an idea of pricing. I have links to shops in Perth and Queensland as well as local shops just so i can get a better idea of prices.

I'll have a look around the music shops here. Billy Hydes i know doesn't list everything on their website. And i don't have their book which seems to have more stuff listed than the site. But still, the only way to know for sure is if i go to the shop and look.

And what do people reckon about the Epi LP standard. If I'm going to upgrade later anyway would that one be more worth my while
Quote by buckethead_jr
+2
and i'm pretty sure you can get them in Australia, i played one when i was on holiday there, best guitar in the price range for that style by far.

and people say im stupid for saying they are better than the c-1 line.

and danno, shut it

Quote by steven seagull
Quote by johnos
Unlucky dude.
Thats why you gotta check out the web beforehand to get an idea of pricing. I have links to shops in Perth and Queensland as well as local shops just so i can get a better idea of prices.

It's all good, we haven't actually parted with any cash yet, we just got a quote on it the other day.
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

are MIM fenders really a thousand AUS$? Highway ones are like 800CAN$ i thought that would be more like 1000$ aussie
Peavey Limited Exp Hss
BC Rich BW-4000BB
Schecter C-1 Classic
They are around the $800 mark. The 60th anniversary ones are around $1000.

Standard Strat
https://www.billyhydemusic.com.au/shop/index.cfm?action=view&id=1775

USA Highway 1 Strat
https://www.billyhydemusic.com.au/shop/index.cfm?action=view&id=197

USA Strat
https://www.billyhydemusic.com.au/shop/index.cfm?action=view&id=201

And so currently I'm thinking either (unless i can find the Washburn to try out):

Epi LP Custom
https://www.billyhydemusic.com.au/shop/index.cfm?action=view&id=169

Fender Fat Strat
https://www.billyhydemusic.com.au/shop/index.cfm?action=view&id=1777

Also, what differences are there between the Epi LP custom and standard. Theres only a $100 difference. I can see there is gold hardware on the Custom. But I'll be upgrading pickups and probably the tuners anyway.
Tuners will probs be done rather quickly. Pickups sometime after that.
No matter which of the three guitars i get I will upgrade. Currently I'm still leaning towards one of the Epi's (still trying to figure out which would be better value for money for me) but the Fender is good and I don't want to rule it out. But that final decision will come when i get to the shop (first i have to figure out whihc Epi is better value, and then i will go in and play both side by side and buy one).

Input anyone?
If you want a guitar with a REALLY wide neck, Ibanez is probably your best bet. The Wizard neck is both wide and extremely thin, so it feels great. I'd recommend an RG1570, or maybe an S of some sort.
A bit too expensive for me and that neck is super thin. I'm more after a larger neck in all dimensions.
Also i would prefer no trem.

So I don't think the Ibanez is the guitar I'm after
Quote by johnos
A bit too expensive for me and that neck is super thin. I'm more after a larger neck in all dimensions.
Also i would prefer no trem.

So I don't think the Ibanez is the guitar I'm after

http://www.ibanez.com/eg/series.aspx?s=artist

You'll dig these. Inexpensive, thick-necked, hardtail, vintage-styled beauties!
Look into a brand called "eastwood", I have a les Paul from them, it was only about $300 CAN and I like it better than a les Paul standard!!! (though you might want to upgrade the pups on it).

pepsi

ps: remember there are more guitars out there than the big companies, be sure to shop around.
Quote by pepsi_lovr
Look into a brand called "eastwood", I have a les Paul from them, it was only about $300 CAN and I like it better than a les Paul standard!!! (though you might want to upgrade the pups on it).

pepsi

ps: remember there are more guitars out there than the big companies, be sure to shop around.

Eastwood's copy of that Ovation electric is sweet.
i bought an Epi LP Classic for $600 CAN, outfitted with TOTL Humbuckers so its pretty much as good as a true Gibby but for a fraction the price, total price now is about 880 and it sounds like sex
I'll make sure I have a play on one of the Ibanez Artist series. They look nice. At the thinnest place on the neck it is the same as the thickest area on the RG series that someone suggested before.

Sounds like sex eh? i could deal with a guitar like that