Poll: Who's the better guitarist?: Dimebag Darrel or John Petrucci?
Poll Options
View poll results: Who's the better guitarist?: Dimebag Darrel or John Petrucci?
Dimebag Darrell
94 41%
John Petrucci
137 59%
Voters: 232.
Page 1 of 3
So, me and a friend got into a dispute over who's the better guitarist.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a diehard Pantera fan, but I love Dream Theater also.

I just have to say, that Dime takes the cake over petrucci.
So, to prove who's accepted as the better guitarist, we're posting it here!
Let us know what you people think!

Dimebag Darrell
Or
John Petrucci

Who's the better guitarist?
"I'm pre-blown dude, it's like pre-heat, you know, how you set it up to blow, im already pre-blown, so im already hooked up, does that make no sense? of course it don't. Dimebonic's baby"-Dimebag Darrell
"Nazi Gangsta Jew"
Without a doubt, brother Dime.
My Gear:
ESP LTD EC-1000 SW
ESP LTD EC 500 STBC
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez 7 string
Randall RH150G3 Head and Cab
Why not like both? What a stupid debate. Vs threads are pointless.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Petrucci is far more advanced than Dimebag. Petrucci hands down.
Self-Improvement is Masturbation
Dimebag, no doubt. He made better music and he didn't let his soloing get in the way of the songs. Can't say the same about the dumbasses in Dream Theater.
You cant compare the two. They are completle different. If I were you I'd chose "No vs. threads".
Petrucci. Dime doesn't play the guitar.

Anymore
Quote by The Leader
Same difference? Meaning its differences are exactly alike, and are parallel in opposite? So they have the exact same thing wrong with them. Two identical twins have scars, but the scars are in the exact same place, so their differences are the same.
you people suck Petrucci can (could) own Dimebag anyday.

Dimebag has more stage presence, but i would rather see Petrucci than Dimebag any day.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
I love how people who don't like DT think they load their songs with solos...it's really not a big deal when the songs are 10+ minutes long to have either 1 extended keyboard/guitar solo dual or a couple solo sections...Besides, blues is usually one giant solo, and same with some jazz.
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
I like John Petrucci more...just seems more talented in my opinion
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
brad you smell like my hairy left nut

there's the danger that, cos he's dead, loads of people who've never heard any of dime's music will automatically say him (tho i'm not suggesting that this is necessarily the case for anyone here). it's like kurt cobain and jimi hendrix - you realise these guys are legends once you hear their music, but a lot of people pass judgement on them before they've even done that.

out of the two i'd say John Petrucci - Hells Kitchen, Glasgow Kiss etc are awesome
Dime's riffs were great, but his soloing had less direction than Petrucci's
Quote by Gman400
I love how people who don't like DT think they load their songs with solos...
People? it's only one person...

it's really not a big deal when the songs are 10+ minutes long to have either 1 extended keyboard/guitar solo dual or a couple solo sections
Hmm now that I think about it, you're right. I mean, 90% of it is already boring, so why even bother putting something interesting in there. Just go all out boring

Besides, blues is usually one giant solo, and same with some jazz.

Jazz soloing is a language. It's not used in the same fashion as rock solos.
dimebag is the best and will always be the best that's all i have to say...................
true blue_strat, but jimi was already concidered great at guitar and kurt a great songwriter (note: songwriter, that's why he's mainly famous) and inovative guitarist (before nirvana it was mainly 80's metal solos) while they were still alive.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
I especially love Petrucci's work with Liquid Tension Experiment. Listen to songs like Universal Mind and Paradigm Shift to know what I mean.
Quote by The Leader
Same difference? Meaning its differences are exactly alike, and are parallel in opposite? So they have the exact same thing wrong with them. Two identical twins have scars, but the scars are in the exact same place, so their differences are the same.
Petrucci is technically better, but I like Dimebag more.
Current gear:
LTD MH-301 fitted with EMG 81/60
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 5150 with JJ tubes
Avatar 4x12 with Warehouse Veteran 30 and British Lead Speakers
Crate XT120R
Meh who cares they both suck. Dimebag has terible tone, and no skill at all, and Petrucci just plays random notes realy fast, just like any metal guitarist.

[/typical ingnorant post]

Seriously who cares who's better. There's no such thing in music. They play differently, they have different style.
Quote by Bassist007
I prefer John Petrucci. This thread gives me an excuse to post this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evTTHS9hwvU&mode=related&search= , pretty old but still good.

hilarious =D
Quote by The Leader
I prefer Dime, but it's really hard to say who's better, in part because I don't think Dime played what he could, just what fit.
I'm not sure in which band it was referring to, but I read this in an interview in a guitar world magazine,
Mike P. of Dream Theater asked Dimebag to do guitar for a band, but Dime denied 'cause he already had damageplan going. Mike was quoted saying, "So we had to settle for Petrucci."

I think if you have to *SETTLE* for petrucci, that's got to say something about Dime's skill.
"I'm pre-blown dude, it's like pre-heat, you know, how you set it up to blow, im already pre-blown, so im already hooked up, does that make no sense? of course it don't. Dimebonic's baby"-Dimebag Darrell
"Nazi Gangsta Jew"
Quote by wicked_angel
I'm not sure in which band it was referring to, but I read this in an interview in a guitar world magazine,
Mike P. of Dream Theater asked Dimebag to do guitar for a band, but Dime denied 'cause he already had damageplan going. Mike was quoted saying, "So we had to settle for Petrucci."

I think if you have to *SETTLE* for petrucci, that's got to say something about Dime's skill.

I'm assuming since Portnoy and Petrucci are good mates he was joking around. The band in question is Liquid Tension Experiment.
Petrucci

Would get f ucked up by Dime
METALLICA
MACHINE HEAD

JANUARY 13TH

JOE LOUIS ARENA

Quote by Jehuty
It's not rape if you yell surprise.

Quote by ZanasCross
Girls his dad's age rarely still have nice asses. Gravity attacks.
DIMEBAG FTW GUY!!!! petrucci is like any other shredder. he is good i like him, but dimebag owns him in the emotion he puts in his solos, and thats what soloing is about.
to me dime is better, i can groove more and he plays with a passion(he also knows when to hold back and when to melt your face off), i dont know about pertucci i personally am not a big fan of alt metal or what it is that dream theater is. . . i get a vibe from them like hey we make weird music so listen to us. . .not to mention dime is just cooler anyway
setup:
Jackson ke-3
Peavey supreme 100

Quote by Archaon
if I ever see a greenday kid throwing up the horns while listening to greenday, I'm going to have to kick his ass. I'm not saying they shouldn't be allowed to throw up the horns, just not to greenday.
Quote by altronataku
Dimebag, no doubt. He made better music and he didn't let his soloing get in the way of the songs. Can't say the same about the dumbasses in Dream Theater.

Um, have you ever heard Dream Theater? And those dumbasses are probably some of the most musically sound people in the world. Petrucci is better.
Go get your shovel.
Yeah like the budokan version of Hollow Years. It totally shows Petrucci has no emotion or variety ^_^ </sarcasm>

Anyways, let's say this: Could John Petrucci make his own music in the style that Dimebag played? I think so. Dime probably still would have been better at it though. But could Dimebag have made original music in the style of Dream Theater? I think not. I'm not saying either style is better, but it just points to Petrucci at least being more versatile and musically skilled.
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
Last edited by Gman400 at Jan 19, 2007,
Quote by SynGates7X
Quote by altronataku

Um, have you ever heard Dream Theater? And those dumbasses are probably some of the most musically sound people in the world. Petrucci is better.

QFT. I respect dimebag, just not a huge fan of his style.
Quote by cubedeathk

No my friends Dinosaurs walked this earth with Man.

Quote by SynGates7X
And those dumbasses are probably some of the most musically sound people in the world.

lmao
Quote by QuiteTheFellow
QFT. I respect dimebag, just not a huge fan of his style.

Please enlighten me as to what QFT means. And I respect Dime too, he's one of my favorite guitarists, I just don't think he is better than Petrucci.
Go get your shovel.
I like them both, but I have to go with Petrucci. I love Dream Theater and LTE, and I simply adore Petrucci's guitar playing. I like and respect Dimebag, too, but I don't like his style as much.

Petrucci and Dimebag are on COMPLETELY different sides of the spectrum.

It's like when you compare Vai and Malmsteen. Totally different styles, but both virtuoso's in their own rights. Same with Satch, Gilbert, B.B King, and Hendrix. They're all gods on the guitar in their own way.

Dimebag kicked ass at what he did, and Petrucci rips the hell out of what he does.
Quote by Vornik
There's nothing illogical about slavery.
Quote by SynGates7X
Please enlighten me as to what QFT means. And I respect Dime too, he's one of my favorite guitarists, I just don't think he is better than Petrucci.

QFT = Quoted For Truth
Quote by cubedeathk

No my friends Dinosaurs walked this earth with Man.

Dimebag, hands down.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Quote by Constantine

Petrucci and Dimebag are on COMPLETELY different sides of the spectrum.

It's like when you compare Vai and Malmsteen. Totally different styles, but both virtuoso's in their own rights. Same with Satch, Gilbert, B.B King, and Hendrix. They're all gods on the guitar in their own way.

Dimebag kicked ass at what he did, and Petrucci rips the hell out of what he does.

But don't tell that to all these VS thread fanboys, their brains might implode.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Page 1 of 3