whats the difference between an ibanez edge III bridge and a licensed floyd rose I heard that the edge III has some plastic parts too?
edge III doesent have good tuning stability compared to floyds
Guitars:
Ibanez IC300
Fender American Strat w/RioGrande texas specials

Amps:
Fender FM212R
a now broken tube amp

Quote by Gofishus
Dual Core. Do More. <-- Intel branded women.

Member of the Stevie Ray Vaughan Fan Club
The Edge III is a form of "Licensed Floyd Rose". I'm not sure which is better but (probably the licensed) but the Licensed isn't great either. Licensed Floyds are made by the guitar company itself and not by the Floyd Rose company. They tend to use cheaper metal which is why the licensed aren't as good. The best trems to look at are the Original Floyd Rose, the Lo-pro Floyd Rose, The Edge, Edge Pro, Lo-pro Edge and ZR. All others will be ok if set up properly but will wear out with heavy trem use.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic
i dont know about the floyd rose but edge III do have some issues..
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

Quote by teamzaius
The Edge III is a form of "Licensed Floyd Rose". I'm not sure which is better but (probably the licensed) but the Licensed isn't great either. Licensed Floyds are made by the guitar company itself and not by the Floyd Rose company. They tend to use cheaper metal which is why the licensed aren't as good. The best trems to look at are the Original Floyd Rose, the Lo-pro Floyd Rose, The Edge, Edge Pro, Lo-pro Edge and ZR. All others will be ok if set up properly but will wear out with heavy trem use.

Sigh...

So you're saying a guitar company like Dean or Jackson would use cheapo crap materials and their licensed Floyds suck, right?...... niice. Or companies who SPECIALIZE in making gutiar hardware and do it for living, their tremolo systems probably suck too eh...

There's no such thing as a generic Licensed Floyd Rose, get that in your heads already. You can't say Licensed Floyds are teh PWN or r teh SUX0R - because there's HUNDREDS of companies who make them. Some are good, some are bad. Use your goddamn brains.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Quote by ar73m
Sigh...

So you're saying a guitar company like Dean or Jackson would use cheapo crap materials and their licensed Floyds suck, right?...... niice. Or companies who SPECIALIZE in making gutiar hardware and do it for living, their tremolo systems probably suck too eh...

Actually... Yes. Go and try the trem that comes in the JS series for instance, and come tell me those aren't cheapo materials.

What licensed floyd are we talking about here? What guitar does it come in?
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
Quote by teamzaius
All others will be ok if set up properly but will wear out with heavy trem use.

Once the Edge III is properly setup and the studs and knife edges are lubricated, it's not as bad of a trem as people say it is. People don't understand that Ibanez' factory setups suck.
Quote by ar73m
Sigh...

There's no such thing as a generic Licensed Floyd Rose, get that in your heads already. You can't say Licensed Floyds are teh PWN or r teh SUX0R - because there's HUNDREDS of companies who make them. Some are good, some are bad. Use your goddamn brains.

Yes, they would use cheapo materials. Hence, they are "licensed". Why wouldn't they put original ones in? Because it costs more. I wasn't saying that licensed floyds are crap because many are not and some "low end" floyds like the licensed or the Ibanez Edge II or III's last people a long time and do what they are suposed to. All I'm saying is that compared to the high-end trems, OFR, Edge etc. the licensed ones are of a cheaper quality.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Actually a lot of Ibanez trems are made of pot/scrap metal. Ever wonder why they discolor...
Quote by Guitarmiester
Actually a lot of Ibanez trems are made of pot/scrap metal. Ever wonder why they discolor...

That's the finish, not the metal itself.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Quote by jmag
Actually... Yes. Go and try the trem that comes in the JS series for instance, and come tell me those aren't cheapo materials.

What licensed floyd are we talking about here? What guitar does it come in?

the floyd rose is in a Schecter C-1 FR but I was still thinking about an Ibanez around $400 and wanted to know if the edge IIIs were good because im trying to upgrade from a $280 ltd with a FR now
I'll quote myself from another thread because I'm lazy:

Quote by tombo32
The Ibanez Edge III wasn't too bad for the first 6 months or so, but the knife edges must have worn or something because it really can't come back in tune after a dive or pull back. I even had it professionaly (sp?) set up by the Ibanez waranty man (who also designed all of the Ashton guitars) and it still comes out of tune. The actual bar sits on a really high angle aswell. Pretty uncomfortable.

Though its better than my Edge trem at doing things like double stop bends. Like the other strings don't come out of tune that much when you bend a string. And it's easier to tune.
my friend has an edge III and it will go out of tune horribly but he doesnt even realize it half the time and the thing is probably f***** up cause the saddle's popped foward and it goes way the f*** out of tune all the f****** time. i have a pc3 with a wilkinson tremolo and it stays in tune just dandy so im not to worried about having a fr or an edge because they have the locking sh** when the wilkinson stays in tune and you dont have to take some hardcore guitar playing time out of you life going into drop c or w/e. then again the fr or edge have some route sh** that makes it "the best" but im not that extreme.

that probably didnt make any sense to anybody.
Sounds like your buddy doesn't know what hes doing^^^
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
Quote by teamzaius
Yes, they would use cheapo materials. Hence, they are "licensed". Why wouldn't they put original ones in? Because it costs more. I wasn't saying that licensed floyds are crap because many are not and some "low end" floyds like the licensed or the Ibanez Edge II or III's last people a long time and do what they are suposed to. All I'm saying is that compared to the high-end trems, OFR, Edge etc. the licensed ones are of a cheaper quality.

They wouldn't put original ones in because it's cheaper for them to make their own ones, even if they'd be using same materials and everything else than buying them from another company, don't you think? A Floyd Rose system doesn't cost that much to make, it's the name on OFR's that cost, that's why they're never put in cheaper guitars. Ever heard names like Gotoh? Schaller?

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Quote by DFH/CFH
my friend has an edge III and it will go out of tune horribly but he doesnt even realize it half the time and the thing is probably f***** up cause the saddle's popped foward and it goes way the f*** out of tune all the f****** time. i have a pc3 with a wilkinson tremolo and it stays in tune just dandy so im not to worried about having a fr or an edge because they have the locking sh** when the wilkinson stays in tune and you dont have to take some hardcore guitar playing time out of you life going into drop c or w/e. then again the fr or edge have some route sh** that makes it "the best" but im not that extreme.

that probably didnt make any sense to anybody.

it makes sense but u know im way more extreme then u max in need something that i can beat the shit out of and pull back farther ill get the floyd rose anyways i cant get an ibanez but ill probably end up with a schecter
Quote by joining_heads
Sounds like your buddy doesn't know what hes doing^^^

yea...you're absolutely correct. He has no idea. Hes only been playing for like 7 months or something, but hes been involved with music for all his life so he can jam to anything but he doesnt have very good technique. He's getting better though.
well i can almost gaurentee you that if you get a 400 dollar guitar teh trem wont be the best... and as for you guys fighting, you guys are so opinionated...OFR was the original floating bridge or w/e but that doesnt mean tis the best and ya it is one of the best out there but there are licesned ones that are jsu as good such as the edge and all....like come on ppl like steve vai use ibanez with licensed bridges an there obviously ok wit it.
No no I dont think you understand, official original floyd rose is actually the best out there, its the highest grade, most well made, completely focussed industry standard best. Everything else is an imitation, a good imitation, a great imitation at times but still just a ripoff with a few adjustments, maybe.
Quote by Dave_Mc
For the cost of a Mesa Roadking, I could alternatively purchase Belgium.
Quote by TheNoseBleedKid
No no I dont think you understand, official original floyd rose is actually the best out there, its the highest grade, most well made, completely focussed industry standard best. Everything else is an imitation, a good imitation, a great imitation at times but still just a ripoff with a few adjustments, maybe.

IMO Ibanez Edge > Orginal Floyd Rose.

Orignal Floyd Roses do kick major ass, but I think Edge's are better.
A lot of people seem to not realize that above a certain point, there isn't really a "better" or "worse" Floyd Rose (at least while we're talking LFR vs OFR, systems like Ibanez ZR are actually DIFFERENT). As long as it's smooth and holds the tuning well, it's doing its job - and it's pretty stupid to argue if it's better or worse if both are doing what they are supposed to without any faults, don't you think?

Well thats your opinion and your welcome to it, but without floyd rose there would be no edge trem (Yes I can predict random chains of historical events and their intented outcomes). I know alot of people prefer stiffer, or looser floyd feels, which is why kahler, schaller and edge trems are popular.
Quote by Dave_Mc
For the cost of a Mesa Roadking, I could alternatively purchase Belgium.
Quote by ar73m
A lot of people seem to not realize that above a certain point, there isn't really a "better" or "worse" Floyd Rose (at least while we're talking LFR vs OFR, systems like Ibanez ZR are actually DIFFERENT). As long as it's smooth and holds the tuning well, it's doing its job - and it's pretty stupid to argue if it's better or worse if both are doing what they are supposed to without any faults, don't you think?

Well I think that the Edge is better than the OFR because it is better at doing things like double stop bends, with out all the strings going out of tune too much (they still do though, but not as bad as OFR). And the arm is better because if you want it loose, then you don't get all the clunking of an OFR swinging about. Also the fine tuners are on an angle on the Edge, so you don't knock them with your palm.

But then again, its all down to opinion. I will say it again: Original Floyd Roses kick major ass, the Ibanez ones just have more improvements.

Quote by teamzaius

+1

Schaller and Gotoh are good licensed trems too, in addition to the ones teamzaius mentioned.

Quote by ar73m
Sigh...

+1, they aren't all equal. But, I've written down the widely-acknowledged good ones. The problem with the ones you aren't sure about (both musicman and jackson ones are probably ok), is that a lot of the problems aren't apparent at the beginning. they only become apparent after a year or two. By which stage it's too late.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?