I was just wondering, what exactly building a bass from scratch entails. I have close to no woodwork experience, limited knowledge of electronics, a fair understanding of how guitars work and all too much time, and I was just thinking if it would anything like possible to build a respectable bass under those conditions? I mean buying certain parts rather than making them would probably be necessary, i.e. the body and neck, but other than that how much work do you have to put it, how much would it cost, and how much of a solid understanding of luthier-ship do you need?

Just wondering
Check out 8-Bit Trip!
www.myspace.com/8BitTrip

-·-·-·[ Music Squirrel ]·-·-·-

Also, get on my profile and friend me, bitches!
You should check the gear building and customizing section here, it's absolutely filled with stuff like this. If you're completely serious about it I advise getting an instructional book. As for cost it will be quite expensive, as in american fender expensive if you use good materials all around but it's worth it to have it the way you want.

So I advise looking stuff up. On reranch.com they have a very extensive tutorial on painting and all the painting supplies you could need.
if your just the buying parts.....it would take a few hours of google research and as long as your not incompetent........you could probably put together something decent. If you where starting from the wood up......wouldn't even bother attempting it.

edit: make a warmoth guitar
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
thing is i'm in the uk, and while the pound is pretty strong to the dollar right now (almost £1=$2) I'm not sure what shipping, tax, etc would be like. are there any uk-based, warmoth-type sites?
Check out 8-Bit Trip!
www.myspace.com/8BitTrip

Whell, if this is gonna be the LAST Bass you ever make, then go to Warmoth.com and order a pre-finised neck and Body, go to a local guitar shop and have them solder up the controlls, size and drill screw holes for the pickguard, tuners, and any other accessories, install the bridge, do final ajustments, and play!

But if you are really that serious, then buy an unfinished guitar/bass project from e-bay, paint/finish it, install all the hardware yourself, cut yoru own pickguard, solder yoru own controlls, and do it al yourself.
i wouldn't mind fitting and soldering up electronics, when i say 'limited knowledge of electronics' i really mean that given the internet i'd be able to figure it out
Check out 8-Bit Trip!
www.myspace.com/8BitTrip

Hmmm... whell buying a body to work on can be.. whell.. it is e-Bay, very random price, but the finish, paint, and fillers liek Bondo will be about 20-50$. Same thing goes for the neck.

And electronics are rediculusly cheap (exept for the pickups... usually.. ), you can get a full setup for about 10-20$. 30-50$ if you include stuff like a Soldering iron, solder, de-soldering tool, and other tools needed.

How advance of controlls you want? Basic volume/tone? Or something like a fullon phase-phase-tone-tone-volume-volume-series/paralell setup?