Poll Options
View poll results: Which sounds better?
Vocals thru a Shure SM57
9 90%
Amp thru an SM58
1 10%
Voters: 10.
Or mic'ng an amp with an SM58?

I don't feel like buying two mics my first day trying to record, so I'm wondering which mic will do both jobs better.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I prefer using both, but if I had to decide... I would buy the 58. Everyone will be mixed on this topic.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
Well, I'd say sacrafice the guitar part to get better vocals. Go w/ the 58, and then just dub over the guitar part a lot till it sounds as clean as it should.
I got nothing to say here

Guitar: Red Ibanez RG120
Quote by Yellow Eyes
Well, I'd say sacrafice the guitar part to get better vocals. Go w/ the 58, and then just dub over the guitar part a lot till it sounds as clean as it should.

yeah.

If you are recording for other people, the vocals would be a priority. If you are just messing around, it's really up to you.
do some more research. there are probably many other choices out there that will do better in both areas. however these two are tried and true. you know theyre the same mic eh? the 58 just has the ball end and windscreen. so buy a 58 and take of the end for recording guitar parts.

Adam
Quote by ollie_12318
my grandma is dying and my mum wants me to play something on bass for her, any body got any suggestions?!

Quote by splinter26
another one bites the dust has a pretty cool bass line
a 57 and 58 are pretty much the same mic just the 58 has a grille on it. i used a 58 on my amp for a long time, until i had the money to buy a 57 which is what i use now but it really make no difference. i would go with the 58.
As long as you're using decent quality hardware and software for recording, plus a decent amp there shouldn't be too much difference between the '57 and '58 in terms of better sound.
This is a ridiculous poll.

The Shure SM57 has been used on countless records for vocals. The 57 is not as popular as a Nuemann U47 or other super high end condenser microphones, but the the 57 has probably been used on vocals on records you own. I've heard that both the Godsmack singer and the singer from The Cure both use Shure Sm57s for vocals in the studio.

The Shure Sm58 is a little bitey, but has been used on tons of guitar amp recordings. It is not nearly as popular as the Shure SM57, but that doesn't mean the SM58 can't work on the right amp.

I'm so fed up with the BS marketing that the SM58 is a vocal mic and the SM57 is an instrument mic. This is true live (only because the 57 doesn't have a built in pop filter), but in the studio the mics are interchangeable in many settings. If the mic doesn't work, big deal, grab something else.

There are no vocal mics, there are no drum mic. There are simply devices that pick up changes in air pressure. We call these microphones.

Brandon
Quote by brandondrury

There are no vocal mics, there are no drum mic. There are simply devices that pick up changes in air pressure. We call these microphones.

Brandon

I agreed with everything up to there, however, there are distinguishes between a vocal mic and a drum mic, or an instrument mic. Yes, they are all devices that pick up the changes in air pressure, but how they pick it up, what they use to protect themselves against pops and other extraneous noises, and their design, is what makes them different. If a mic was a mic. There would be one company, making one single multi-use mic. There isn't.
I got nothing to say here

Guitar: Red Ibanez RG120
if they are the same mic, could i just buy the 58 and screw off the ball for instrument miking?

...does the pop filter actually come off at all?
Quote by RHCP94
funkdaddyfresh is a real American