What kinda music you play? Amp? Length of time been playing?
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Without any prior information, I feel free to give you my biased opinion:

You want to by the J-Bass. The pups are better, it sounds better, is more versatile, and has a sexier pick guard.
Quote by kmbuchamushroom
Without any prior information, I feel free to give you my biased opinion:

You want to by the J-Bass. The pups are better, it sounds better, is more versatile, and has a sexier pick guard.

You also forgot those hot anorexic necks! It is soo wrong yet feels soo right!
See i would go for a P-Bass, it feels like you have something in your hands, there's nothing like a big chunky neck in the hand, plus i prefer the punch of the P-Bass, ideally though, i would have a J pickup in the bridge too
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
cmon, there's more to love
Quote by Bumper

I have quite big hands so i find jazz necks awkward to play, which is why i prefer the precision, my teacher has an american jazz and i sat there playing it for an hour and it just didnt do it for me
Quote by Bumper

Hah, I used to be the same way, untill the demand for me to play faster grew and grew, and now for me, the thinner the better.

But to the original poster, both are opinions are right, it is just a difference in opinion that you should look at. :P
Yeah it's all to do with personal opinion, go try as many basses out as you can. You may find you don't want a fender at all, go with what feels best
Quote by Bumper

im a metal player, ive been playing for 3-4 years. my current bass is a fender percision bass. its mexican but im lookin to upgrade. my amp is a rumble 100 and a ampeg 8*10 cab.
the cool monkey-handed kids like me put P-bass necks on Jazz basses.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
man, haeck w/ P neck on J body, I put a J neck in a P body w/ J pups.

get all that?
GEAR
Guitar
Ibanez RG42DX
Peavey Valveking100
Avatar 4x12 cabinet w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
Line 6 Spider 3
DOD Flanger
Ernie Ball Strings
Bass
Dean Edge 4
Peavey TNT 135
GHS Strings
Quote by Fast_Bear
Meh.. I don't like active. XD

But I am saying that that general style is good.

I see where you're coming from, Fender basses are the type of bass that are sort of meant to be passive. Well what's the next best thing...the aerodyne basses!
for metal... it depends. i like the J-bass, it has alot more growl to it. for thrash and 70s metal. thats the one, the P-bass has fantastic sound for blues and pop. and decent for metal.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by Doodleface
for metal... it depends. i like the J-bass, it has alot more growl to it. for thrash and 70s metal. thats the one, the P-bass has fantastic sound for blues and pop. and decent for metal.

lol PJ setup

Quote by musiclover2399
I see where you're coming from, Fender basses are the type of bass that are sort of meant to be passive. Well what's the next best thing...the aerodyne basses!

Hah, not only that but if you are good at wiring up guitars, you can wire Passive pickups to be more versitle than active pickups! I did it on my P Bass cole! One flip of the switch and it sounds like a totally different Bass!
Well it really depends what you want, but since it's an upgrade from a standard Precision I assume you're after an American. The American Deluxe Precision is really versatile for a P, and the Deluxe Jazz is similarly kickass. Otherwise you could go down the vintage reissue route like a '60s Classic Jazz or for a sig model that has unique features like the Marcus Miller or Geddy Lee.
For the price of a MIM Fender you could get a decent ESP or Ibanez and an effects pedal or something...meh...
^^the only good Ibanez basses are the SRX700, and anything more than $700. The SR500s are alright and extremely well built but their tone is just so...generalized, they don't have that much character. As for ESP, I hate basswood, need I say more?
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Quote by Counterpoise
For the price of a MIM Fender you could get a decent ESP or Ibanez and an effects pedal or something...meh...

lets see. i own a Crybaby Bass, Boss Over drive, Chorus, Equalizer, Radial DI, MXR Dyna Comp, and a Flanger
Aerodyne Jazz
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Quote by christianbassis
man, haeck w/ P neck on J body

i'm currently in the process of doing that with a p/j pickup layout
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by diamondbakk666
lets see. i own a Crybaby Bass, Boss Over drive, Chorus, Equalizer, Radial DI, MXR Dyna Comp, and a Flanger

My point was that you can get a bass for less that is far superior to the MIM Fenders...