I was just wondering if anyone knew what effects pedals i would need to make an electric guitar sound like a violin without putting the signal through a computer......

Many post-rock bands like GYBE and EitS use this sort of sound from time to time, would appreciate any help in finding this sound.........
A butt load of chorus maybe. That would be my guess. Or some sort of synth pedal that simulates a violin.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
you can get a violin sort of sound by turning the volume of your guitar off, then pick and gradually increase the guitars volme.
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22
You're right, just about the only thing better than a Spider 3 is an MG : )

^Yes, what he said. Or you could use a volume pedal, and basically doing the same as above. With the pedal, it would be easier (you would have both hands free to fret/pick) but then of course theres the obvios price difference, £0 as opposed to £50+.
a volume pedal like the people mentioned earlier
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

An interesting question.

Yes, to back that point up, if you had an expression pedal on anything that controlled volume. Then pick and allow the volume to return. But i can imagine this would mean you'd have gaps in the sound?

Could a combination of chorus and compression take away the abruptness of the picking sound does anyone think?

I think it would be a bit difficult to use a bow on a guitar, due to the strings being level...

Maybe an electro violin is in order?
Member of "The True British Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society"
Thanks for the responses......

Just read that the guy from Sigur Ros uses a cello bow on a les paul.....

Think he uses a tonne of reverb as well....
Yeah, reverb is a good idea too.

I do so love godspeed....
Member of "The True British Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society"
Last edited by darkspider 0 at Jan 19, 2007,
and a good floating bridge to add vibrato..
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

I play violin, volume doesn't work. violins dont make no sound then gradually get louder..

some playing styles might, but lol....
I'm not racist.

I hate everyone the same.

No seriously dude, violin bow is the best way I've tried. But if anyone knows how to make it sound like a sitar....
Quote by death_metaller
**** burzum XD

there i said it...kinda

edit: i do realise they are not here...so i kinda didnt say it...

fail
Last edited by Under_The_Oath at Jan 19, 2007,
What is an E-bow, excuse my noobyness. And forgive me for taking over the thread.
Quote by death_metaller
**** burzum XD

there i said it...kinda

edit: i do realise they are not here...so i kinda didnt say it...

fail
an E-bow is a device that you hold over your strings while it emits an electromagnetic wave to infinitely sustain your notes. for this application, an E-bow will accomplish much the same thing as a violin or cello bow across the guitar, except that you can single out individual notes.

try looking into the "Octo" setting on a Line 6 Verbzilla. it's a reverb with a harmonized decay adding a synth string sound to the reverb.
hmm i think it's a good time to buy a verbzilla, you get a free module with it, but i don't think the modules match the quality of the actual effects even though they're suppose to be the same
A volume pedal/ working the volume knob on the guitar. Also reverb and delay swell effects work pretty well.
Yeah...just found out that Godspeed actually use a real violin, its not a guitar after all.....but other post-rock bands definately get a violin sound quality through their guitars....
I use a bow to get violin sounds. Cello bows work better than violin bows, just buy a cheap one and put it through reverb, delay and chorus and you're away.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
.....Cheers.

....also, read that some people use resin on the bow....would this **** up the guitar in anyway?.....i mean if its going to get on the strings and the pick ups.....
Quote by yoshima
.....Cheers.

....also, read that some people use resin on the bow....would this **** up the guitar in anyway?.....i mean if its going to get on the strings and the pick ups.....

Rosin should be okay as long as you wipe it off after your done. If you leave it on it may damage the finish and it's sticky and annoying. (I play the cello so I know :p
Quote by BloodBlooms
Why?

I'm guessing because they are meant to be used with thicker strings. Violin strings are really thin/small.
there should also be a violin tuning you could use.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by BloodBlooms
Why?

I'm not sure, it's just something I've been told (by Guy Bannister from iLiKETRAiNS - I must say it's great when bands are happy to chat about gear at the bar after their gigs) but patalp's reasoning makes sense.

As for rosin, you kind of do need to use it or the bow doesn't really work... Just make sure you wipe it off your strings afterwards and you'll be alright.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
Yoshima, you probably won't read this, but hey, anyone who is interested:
Boss used to manufacture a pedal (The SG-1) that used an adjustment of volume to ahieve a similar effect. People suggest using it after compression for best effect. They are hard to come by though as they stopped production of them in 1982. However, they integrated this effect into the GT-5 multi effects pedal which is still in production (This pedal features compression). I assume other manufactureres also made pedals which did this.
Last edited by darkspider 0 at Feb 1, 2007,
Quote by rhcp_freak
there should also be a violin tuning you could use.

Just tune to fifths on all the strings, starting with a low C. This will give you a cello/viola tuning for the 4 low strings and then you have two other strings to noodle with. I broke a high e tuning this way though.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
1 million kilos of plate reverb, an e-bow, and a volume pedal.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
one thing that i find gives a violinish sound is a completly wet reverb. so basicly the sound is just the reverb with none of your original picked note sounding. so basicly you would need a reverb pedal with a mix knob set to 100% wet. combined with a slight volume swell from the knob or pedal and i think that you could get a nice violinish sound. wont sound exactly like a violin, but it would sound decent.
i can get an almost dead on electric violin sound with an ebow and a volume pedal. And violins are tuned GDAE so you shouldnt have to alter the tuning of your guitar.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Generalpwnt
Just tune to fifths on all the strings, starting with a low C. This will give you a cello/viola tuning for the 4 low strings and then you have two other strings to noodle with. I broke a high e tuning this way though.

You can try Robert Fripp's new standard tuning. CGDAEG