What are the differences between the two? I am a bit of a pedal newbie so any help is appreciated. I am trying to achieve a tone similar to the Strokes. Thanks.
SD-1 is a overdrive pedal is best used with tubes. The DS-1 is a distortion pedal. If you want a Strokes like tone I suggest the SD-1 but make sure you have a tube amp. They use Fender Hot Rods, deluxe or deville (not sure)
Yes but a tube is not a must, I assume it's a bit out of your price range, so the SD-1 will do well enough. What's your current gear?
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Quote by jbrentwiley
So you fellas recommend a DS-1 for metallica/alice in chains/nirvana-type music?

Cobain used a DS-1. It's all a matter of preference, I bought both because they're both reletivly cheap and they're good for my harder songs and my softer songs. I did sell them however, something I regret.
I have the DS-1 it's a nice little pedal, normally I like OD but for jbrentwiley I think the DS-1 will do very well for you.

And you don't need a tube amo for OD, OD simulates tube overdrive it isn't tube OD so it'll be fine on an SS. Also Vox Ad series isn't all tube it's pretty much SS.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
To get Nick Valensi's tone you can simply roll down the tone and use the neck pickup with a lot of distortion. He has confessed that he has 7's across the board on his amp. And the jekyll and hyde is also essential if you want to try and mimic (or at least come close) their sound.