im a guitarist but im interested in getting a fretless bass, i found this and thought id be good the access in great on the part where the neck meets the body, but its supposely a custom, has any1 seen or played 1 like this b4? any thoughts?http://cgi.ebay.com/STEINBERGER-STYLE-FRETLESS-ELECTRIC-BASS-GUITAR-NR_W0QQitemZ120074756477QQihZ002QQcategoryZ4713QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Gear:
Hamer Californian
Ibanez RG470
Ibanez RG120
Ibanez V
Crate 15 watt
Marshall 50DFX
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone pedal
"Member of The Straight Edge Club. PM danzig-_- to join."
can i ask where strap buttons are?
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
i kno but i figure i could just get sum
Gear:
Hamer Californian
Ibanez RG470
Ibanez RG120
Ibanez V
Crate 15 watt
Marshall 50DFX
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone pedal
"Member of The Straight Edge Club. PM danzig-_- to join."
Its....interesting, to say the least. The only reason why it's a Steinberger look-alike is because the tuners are on the body of the guitar, which was popularized by the Steinberger brand.

From what everyone else says and what I see, there looks to be a dent in the upper part of the neck. Could be a knot in the wood, or a really bad idea of scalloping a fretless, which seems like a poorly constructed idea. The flash caught the finish, and that's what gives it the scratched appearance; otherwise, it's really scratched.

If you want a novelty bass for 135 bucks, I say go for it. I'm not entirely sure what you'd get out of it, but it is your decision.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
If you wana get a fretless and REALLY play it, get something with fretlines. TRUST ME, you will NEED those! Nomatter how good you are at playing Bass or even Guitar...

What I really suggest is this:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Fretless-Jazz-Bass?sku=519637

Notice:
Quote by Fast_Bear
If you wana get a fretless and REALLY play it, get something with fretlines. TRUST ME, you will NEED those! Nomatter how good you are at playing Bass or even Guitar...

What I really suggest is this:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Fretless-Jazz-Bass?sku=519637

Notice:

Bear has a point. Unless you're ready for a tough learning curve, go for one that has lines, such as that Squier Bear suggested. It's quite a bit pricier than that Steinberger copy, but you'll know it to be a reliable instrument, whereas the copy may not be functionable at all; you won't know until you get it.

It all depends on what you're looking for or how far you'd like to get involved both money-wise and learning-wise.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
The Squier Fretless bass is hands down the worst fretless bass on the market today. If you want to buy a fretless bass save up and atleast get a fender mexican. The Squier feels like it's made of plastic... CORRECTION - it IS made of plastic.

And Fast Bear: I play unlined fretless basses all the time. In fact I own two. So why do you need the lines? Or are you just recommending that for starting on fretless bass. (Which by the way I started on unlined).
I recommended it for learning and for players who play REALLY fast.
That and if the fretlines are set right it looks badass.

Also, most squires are shit, yes, but tehrea are exeptions to that rule. I have played this thing, and it does play really really nice. all it really needs is some new pickups and it woudl be really awesome!
I dont like that squier fretless, the fingerboard is PLASTIC!! I made a thread about a budget fretless the other day and eventually decided that im going to save for the mexican fender but if you are on a tight budget, i recommend yamaha or vintage
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
It is not the typical plastic! They only use it so you can use round-wound strings! I mean, hell, this thing is a bit more affordable than this thing, is it not?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Jaco-Pastorius-Fretless-Jazz-Bass-Guitar?sku=510486
And that thing you HAVE to use flatwounds too. With the squire you can actualy use round wound strings.

Not only that, but Alcino V pole peices FTW.
You just compared the American Jaco Pastorious Re-issue to the Squier? And then said the squier was better? I'm a little confused by the statement

I've been playing fretless instruments for years (Violin, Viola primarily, but within the last year I've been playing a lot of fretless bass). I played one of the squier fretless at a local store, spent about ten minute on it. It is the worst sounding, and playing fretless I have ever played on.

First off the fingerboard is plastic (no way around this one). It's called ebonal. It's synthetic plastic made to look like ebony. It's really just black plastic desinged to a have a slight grain. It's used on all starter violins, violas, cellos, and uprights so I've had some experiance with it besides this bass. On every single one of them it sounded terrible, and felt just as bad. I really wanted squier to do this justice, but they didn't come anywhere near close.

So it has Alcino V pickups... the pickups don't make up for the terrible fingerboard.

Finally, you can use roundwound strings on any fretless bass, especially that jaco reissue bass. (Jaco used roundwounds don't you know?) The only difference between the two (besides sound) is that roundwounds wears down your fingerboard faster than the other.
Quote by Fast_Bear
It is not the typical plastic! They only use it so you can use round-wound strings! I mean, hell, this thing is a bit more affordable than this thing, is it not?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Jaco-Pastorius-Fretless-Jazz-Bass-Guitar?sku=510486
And that thing you HAVE to use flatwounds too. With the squire you can actualy use round wound strings.

Not only that, but Alcino V pole peices FTW.

What the hell are you talking about? Jaco used roundwound strings on electric fretless basses exclusively. Despite the reissue having a rosewood fingerboard, it's most likely sealed and has a poly finish on it, so the wear takes longer to be noticeable.

The Squire fretless you linked to has an ebonal fretboard. It's plastic meant to look like ebony. It sounds nothing like ebony. It sounds like pure garbage. Plus, the
"Duncan Designed" pickups suck.

You don't need fretlines. IMO afaik (and I'm sure many others would agree with me), an unlined fingerboard looks much better than a lined one. Sure, the learning curve COULD be a bit harder on an unlined board rather than lined, but fretless basses (just like violins, double bass, etc) are meant to be played with your ears and muscle memory - not your eyes.
Gear:
SX SJB62-5 5-String Fretless Jazz Copy (EADGC)
Ibanez GSR200 4-String Fretted (BEAD)
Ibanez IBZ10B 10 Watt Practice Combo Amp
DR Stainless Steel Lo-Riders
Yamaha Air Cell Straps
Quote by Fast_Bear
Hah, Roundwounds eat up a fretboard man! They really do! They eat it up quick! Jaco used Marine Epoxy finish, and put a really thick coating of it on his fretboard to keep it from eating it up..

Flatwounds will eat up a fingerboard just as bad, it will just take a bit longer. And no, it's not quick, unless you have a soft fingerboard wood (some kinds of maple are very soft, for example.); even then, it probably will take a while. I've been using rounds exclusively on my fretless for a year and a half on an unprotected rosewood board and the grooves are barely noticeable.

The wear on a fingerboard all depends on your action, fingering and vibrato techniques. Even if you used flatwounds, if you used a "guitar" vibrato (parallel to the frets), your fingerboard will wear faster than if you used a "violin" vibrato (parallel to the strings.)

Fingerboards are stronger than they look. It will take years for the grooves to be so deep that you have to sand and reseal the fingerboard. Please stop embarrassing yourself.
Gear:
SX SJB62-5 5-String Fretless Jazz Copy (EADGC)
Ibanez GSR200 4-String Fretted (BEAD)
Ibanez IBZ10B 10 Watt Practice Combo Amp
DR Stainless Steel Lo-Riders
Yamaha Air Cell Straps
I just got a fretless bass (actually made one, but that is a different story) and i was wondering if anyone had any tips for playing.