The cable that came in my starter pack died (as i expected it would). I'm going to buy a new 10' cable tomorrow. I've never bought a cable before, is there anything i should know? Or can i just buy any random cable?
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
cables can have a dramatic effect on your sound, try to buy a good quality one, in this area it's worth shelling out a few more bob.
My gear:
Fender 50th anniv American Strat Deluxe NICE
Fender Eric johnson Strat SEXY
Gibson SG Special Gothic II RAW
Ibanez JS 1000 VERSATILE
Gibson Les Paul Custom OOH BABY
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Head & Cab LET'S ROCK
Yeah, dont go for the cheapest, better cables make a LOT of difference. Try and find gold-plated ones.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Are my peavey cables the reason that my guitar and amp makes a very loud buzzing noise unless I wiggle it in either jack?
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
go for Planet Wave
Rig:
-Jackson Soloist: SL2HT (On its way to Canada)
-Epiphone Les Paul Gothic w/ SD JB (Process of Modding)
-Art & Lutherie Spruce CW
-Dunlop Crybaby (Process of Modding)

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
What are good brands?

How much should i spend on a 10 foot?
Quote by TinTin8
go for Planet Wave

Based on?

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Quote by cman138
Monster cables are good

Don't buy from Monster, they are bunch of asshats.

The first cable I bought was a Planet Waves and I still haven't had any problems with it.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I have a 20 foot planet waves cable wtih a sorta killswitch almost to it. It has a button that when you press it, you can take the cord out of the guitar and it doesnt buzz. This was around 50 bucks i think. I got it last christmas and I love it. Also, Planet Waves cords are guaranteed for life.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
no monster cables, no gold plated ends, thats money wasted.

a guitar signal is too poor to necessitate a cable more than 30 bucks. (unless its really long)

just make sure the solders have heat shrink on them, and the heat shrink is also atatched to the cable itself, that takes the stress off the solders, and help prevent breaking, making for a more durable cable. i would go at leas 15' cable, mainly because 10' dosent give you much area to roam around.

i like hosa cables, they are usually under 20 bucks, ive had one for 3 years now, and it still works great.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Quote by AlGeeEater
Based on?

Chris

personal experiance ... what's your reason for nagging on my every post?
Rig:
-Jackson Soloist: SL2HT (On its way to Canada)
-Epiphone Les Paul Gothic w/ SD JB (Process of Modding)
-Art & Lutherie Spruce CW
-Dunlop Crybaby (Process of Modding)

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
personal experience dosent help the TS, why dont you post it and help him.

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Thanks for the info guys.

Does gold plated actually do anything? Or is it just for looks?

What does it mean when it says 1/4 inch cable??
1/4 inch cable is what you want, thats the diameter of the jack itself.

gold wont do anything noticeable to your sound. so i wouldn't pay more for something that looks cool. and you cant seen the ends anyways when you are using it

Quote by steven seagull
Quote by GuitarNinja12
What are good brands?

How much should i spend on a 10 foot?

Well heres a link to some high end cables.
http://www.lavacable.com/Suitability_Guide.htm

Heres a link to a review of a ton of cables.
http://www.lavacable.com/cable_comparison.htm

I was looking for a new cable a while ago and ended up getting one of these
www.cobaltcable.com
if you want i can send you a 10% off code that I got when ordering my cable. It's still pretty expensive but compared to monster its a better deal. I noticed a significant difference goign from my old $20 cable to the cobalt.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
i suggest either planet wave ot mogami...i had my mogami for a about 6 months and i had no problems at all... monster cable is also a good option but for me its to expensve
gold isn't as good of a conductor, but it doesn't oxidize, thats the advantage, I would recommend conquest cables, there good quality good price and lifetime warranty
just my $.02
Dimarzio is my favorite. They are tweed/clothlike stuff, the ends are sturdy, and very quiet.

About $20 for 18 feet. I'd go ahead and buy a cable longer than 10 feet, you dont' realize how short 10 feet really is until you get one or had one.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by minixmin
i suggest either planet wave ot mogami...i had my mogami for a about 6 months and i had no problems at all... monster cable is also a good option but for me its to expensve

I had a mogami and one of the ends started becoming really loose and I had to repair it. I dislike how the cable is really thin and the ends are huge. Although they have probably given me the clearest sound of any I've used yet.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Monster Cables are pretty good, I got a 25 foot one I believe. They come with a lifetime warrenty that if they break in any way, just bring it to a dealer and you can get it replaced with another one of the same length. At least that's what the guy at GuitarCenter told me.
-Roy

My Gear
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Stratocaster
Washburn Lyon (LCT24)
Silvertone Revolver Bass
Ibanez IJV50 Acoustic
Fender CD160E-12
Guild Starfire IV
Some cruddy classical that my parents bought off ebay for like 40 bucks.
Quote by MESAexplorer
Dimarzio is my favorite. They are tweed/clothlike stuff, the ends are sturdy, and very quiet.

About $20 for 18 feet. I'd go ahead and buy a cable longer than 10 feet, you dont' realize how short 10 feet really is until you get one or had one.

I would go with the Dimarzio's also. I have had two of mine for 1 1/2 years now and they are still kickin. Plus the cloth is really tough so no easly broken joints in the cable. I have been hunting for one of their angled cable but can't seem to find them.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
Monster Cables FTW. I have 4.
Quote by tronsbasscool
This is my 5th account and I still havn't made any friends

My Rig
ESP Viper 1000
Crate RFX120

<//////>~
Quote by TinTin8
go for Planet Wave

Do it. They're quality.
Dimebag is overrated. Sue me.
^They're OK. Good for the money. Mine shorted out after while though.
Quote by tronsbasscool
This is my 5th account and I still havn't made any friends

My Rig
ESP Viper 1000
Crate RFX120

<//////>~
Thanks for advice guys. I bought a 15 foot Planet Wave cable, so far so good.

My dad used to work for a power company and he said that gold is very conductive and provides a cleaner signal.
Do NOT buy LiveWire cables. Bad news right there.

I like PlanetWave cables myself. Monster Cables are extremely expensive, but not ultimately worth it. Fender cables are nice too... but they don't sell them much anymore (or at least I haven't seen them).

And if you're playing a starter kit rig, that right there is mostly the reason you're getting all the humming and popping. The new cord will help though.
You're not gonna hear a difference between a $20 cable and an $80 cable. Buy for durability.
Quote by fredthecat
You're not gonna hear a difference between a $20 cable and an $80 cable. Buy for durability.

Actually you can tell the difference. Even my mildly tone deaf brother could tell that the more expensive cable made everything sound clearer and brighter. It was even more obvious when playing stuff with a lot of gain.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
I use a cable from (I think) a local dealer.

Quantum Audio Designs.
Had it for over a year, hasn't shorted out on me yet.
Sounds pretty good too.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
Quote by DingoDance
And if you're playing a starter kit rig, that right there is mostly the reason you're getting all the humming and popping. The new cord will help though.

Yeah with my original cable I would hear pops when i changed pickups or turned the tone/volume knobs on the guitar. It doesnt happed anymore with my new cable, the tone is also cleaner and theres less hum.