After re-stringing my bass I was tuning it and I ran into a problem. I can't get the E string tuned properly. The tuner I am using either shows it as B or A. I'm clueless as to what the problem might be.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

Maybe you switched the E string with the A string?
Brokeback Lego - Animation Movie I Made

Quote by \GuitarHero/
Our band mascot is a Muffin.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who aren't close-minded morons.
How many winds did you put on the post? If you put less than 1.5 winds or so many that the string goes back onto itself you may have a very jumpy tuner there. A pic would help.

Otherwise, just keep on tuning it up to pitch.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
I'll try stringing it again. If the windings overlap a little would it mess it cause it to do that? It looks like it might be overlaping a little.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

The string wasn't on the post properly Thanks for the help though.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917

By overlap, I mean it's bad when you fill the post with winding then put even more on it so that you have two layers of string on the post.

I usually keep 2-3 windings on the post.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
The end of the string wasn't completely in the hole in the post. I pushed it in all the way and wound it 2 times. It was low E as soon as I tried tuning it.

I'll keep all this stuff in mind for whenever I re-string it again. How often should I do that?
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917

^ How long is a piece of string?

Restringing is personal. People who slap and tap lots tend to like to have fresh sounding strings. Strings lose their snappy new tone at different times for different people. I usually kill strings with 1-2 weeks. That's ok though, I'm not one of those people who like a snappy metallic string sound, so I like the sound of dead strings as long as they don't get muddy or too dirty.

I usually just clean my strings every month or two.

http://www.tunemybass.com/strings/bass_guitar_strings_faq.html

That website has tons of info about restringing bass's, and about cleaning strings.