Hey guys, i've been trying for the longest time to nail this riff in Master of Puppets
|------2------3------4------3------2-2-------2--------3-------5\4---5\4----5\4---|
|-0-1---0-1----0-1---0-1----0-1------0--1----0--1---0-0--3\2-0-3\2-0-3\2---|
And for the life of me i can't get it fast enough. Yet b/c i know its supposed to be played with all downstrokes i'm far too stubborn to change it up, i want to play it properly, can anyone give me a suggestion to make this happen? a drill or something to speed up my picking?
Just play it, but slow. Don't do the sliding power chords part yet, work on the intro part first and practice it slow, then build up speed.
it doesn't have to be all downstrokes. if you feel more comfortable playing it with mixed strokes go ahead.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
I no so many ppl r gonna disagree with me, but scrap the 0-1 and make it 0-0, barely any difference, and dont play power chords, just play the bass note.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Epiphone SG w/EMG's

Amps:
Peavey Windsor Head w/ JSX Cab
MicroCube (for the sake of practice at college)

Pedals :
Fulltone Full Drive 2 Mosfet
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Crybaby
As ascendancy said, play it slow, with a metronome if it helps. Then do it faster till your up to speed. Be sure to use your pinky, playing this riff will strengthen it and your other fingers and your speed.
gtdude said he plays 0-0 ... i sorta learned it the same way but with 1-1...
1-1, 0-0, when ur palm muting, u cant tell the difference. Plus, 0-0 seems easier cuz u can move ur fingers without losing the bass note. with 1-1, ur locked in.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Epiphone SG w/EMG's

Amps:

Pedals :
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Crybaby
I actually kind of learned this without realizing it when I first learned it. I backed off from it for a while and learned other stuff, and just built up my speed. Then I came back to it and found I could play it just fine, with downstrokes.

If you want to learn it quick, try this: Only use downstrokes on the E string, it's much easier to get in two quick chugs than all of it together. That way it's still pretty easy, and your mutes all sound chunky.

Example:

-----2-----3-----4-----3----2-2-----
-0-1---0-1---0-1---0-1---0-1-----
 D D U D D U D D U D D U D D D U
im really glad other people had as much trouble with this riff as I did, yeah I gave up trying to do all downstrokes and it was much easier
Not every song is a breeze, theres practice involved
Guitars:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Epiphone SG w/EMG's

Amps:

Pedals :
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Crybaby
Sue me, but I always hammered on the 0-1. Of course, it never did sounds quite right.
would this do the trick, you're playing so fast you might not even hear the muted note

|------2-----3----4-----3---2-2-------2--------3
|-0-1---1-----1----1-----1------0--1-----1---
Well, i know there's lots of easier ways to play it, but thats not the matter at hand really. I'm not a rookie guitarist, but i'm not exactly wonderful yet either. I don't want to start dippin into shortcuts just yet until i'm confident in what i can do and that a shortcut isn't goign to hurt the basics. I'll play it the proper way, you guys just say keep it slow, use the pinky, and then in time it'll eventually just flow?
If you want it to sound good, you have to play all the notes. Dont do anything like just play 0 0 or 1 1. Play them all.

The way I do it is to play all downstrokes on the E string and use upstrokes on the A string. Sounds identical to all downstrokes and is much easier.

EDIT: Look at the tab GibsonPupetteer wrote, its what I do.
~ My Gear ~

Gibson Les Paul Studio in Alpine White with EMG 81/60
Fender Stratocaster
Marshall DSL401
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Boss Super Overdrive SD-1
Boss Noise Suppressor NS-2
Digitech RP80
Samson Wireless
Fender Champions Series 30
I'm busy learning that riff now, and I'm playing that part alternate picked. A while ago, I tried to learn it all down, but it was hard. So I took a break from the riff, and came back and found it easier to alternate. Just working on your picking hand accuracy, and use a metronome, and you'll be fine.
Quote by gtdude114
I no so many ppl r gonna disagree with me, but scrap the 0-1 and make it 0-0, barely any difference, and dont play power chords, just play the bass note.

Exactly. Make it 0-0 insted of 0-1. it helps a lot. Also, even though people want to be like Hetfield any play it with all downstrokes, ill admit, it doesnt sound bad at all if you alternate pick.
Agile AL-3000 Cherry Sunburst
Fender American Strat HSS
1981 Yamaha FG-335II
Crate V1512 (USA made)
Fender Frontman 15R
Dunlop Crybaby Slash Wah
MXR EVH Phase 90
Ibanez TS9 w/ Keeley Baked Mod
Boss SD-1
Boss DD-3
half of it is PM anyway.. just PM the first 2 notes
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
Quote by GibsonPuppeteer
I actually kind of learned this without realizing it when I first learned it. I backed off from it for a while and learned other stuff, and just built up my speed. Then I came back to it and found I could play it just fine, with downstrokes.

If you want to learn it quick, try this: Only use downstrokes on the E string, it's much easier to get in two quick chugs than all of it together. That way it's still pretty easy, and your mutes all sound chunky.

Example:

Yeah bro thats how i do it. much easier
Quote by GibsonPuppeteer

Example:

that is waht i do and it works
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
Quote by GibsonPuppeteer

This man hit the nail on the head.
R E G G A E
one thing no one has mentioned so far: watch Kirk's right arm in the guitar mag lesson posted on YouTube. You'll see that he's only palm muting the notes on the sixth string, not the fifth.

Once you start doing that, it gives your arm a break, makes it easier to play with all downstrokes.
no no that'll hurt the wrist and take ages to get into [ the DD U DD U way ]

1 2
0 1 0 1 0 1
try D U D U D U D U

thats so much simpler on the right forearm muscles. ALSO pm. the E string. and when u go
5 4
3 2 0, play it hard and move ur elbow to realise forearm tension and no pm
DONT!!! play it 00 or 11. thats the cheap way out and for the rest of your days you'll know you're not playing it right.if your stubon about downstrokes then be stubun about that too. i tried to learn that tune the same week I started playing guitar and I didnt get it full speed until 10 months later. just work on it. also trivium's Like Light to the Flies is similar is speed and timing so practice that as well, just to make a change
Metronome +

E|-----0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0------|

= Requisite downpicking speed. I wouldn't listen to the guys saying to replace the E-F with E-E or F-F, because honestly, you can tell the difference if you're doing it right. IF you want to play old Metallica and other thrash you should make the investment to learn to downpick quickly.
Last edited by scrilly at Jan 24, 2007,
If you can't play it properly practice it and nail it right!! don't make up cheap ways to play it, that's gay.

It's ALL downstroked, the notes on the E string are palm muted and you play the notes on the A string open.
Quote by Bpags868
Exactly. Make it 0-0 insted of 0-1. it helps a lot. Also, even though people want to be like Hetfield any play it with all downstrokes, ill admit, it doesnt sound bad at all if you alternate pick.

yer man i agree, i dnt think i no many people (maybe none) that play it all down strokes

U D D U D D U D D U D D U D D U

I try to play it this way... Steel need to practice a lot. But what do you guys think of it?

I think it's easier to play the 1-2, 1-3, 1-4 notes Down Down