I don't know if anybody has figured this about before, but I was screwing around the other day and I found a way to play pinched/artificial harmonics that is much easier then the correct way, and it sound almost identical. I'm thinking about submiting a lesson about it, but I thought I'd run it by the forums first.

Heres how:

Note: It only works on the 4th, 5th, and 6th strings and its significantly more effective if you use a little vibrato or bend the string.

1. Hold your pick at a 45 degree angle so the edge of your pick is touching the string.. Position the pick where normal pinched harmonics ring out best. Instead of picking the string, rotate the pick in a clockwise motion. This should scrape about a half-inch to an inch of the string. Pull the pick away from the string as you perform this little scrape. If you complete this correctly, you should get a sound either exact or very close to a pinched harmonic.

Let me know what you think of it.
because it is a pinch harmonic. just a diffrent way of doing it.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
that's similar to how i do pinch harmonics... i put my finger on the spot that works, then pick the string and pull my finger off in one smooth motion... it's almost the same, except i don't scrape the string
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Quote by Doodleface
because it is a pinch harmonic. just a diffrent way of doing it.

Not a pinch harmonic, but it is a harmonic. There are many different ways to get harmonics to ring from your guitar. Actually, you can also use a pipe touched lightly on the strings to get notes that would be way beyond the 24th fret.
ಥ_ಥ
whats your guys's oppinions about it? Is it easier to play? More effective? Less effective? What do you think?
ok, its an ARTIFICIAL harmonic. You know what i mean. It goes wwwwwwwwwhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaa and it sound cool. You get the idea. How does it sound compared to the more difficult correct way to play it?
Ok ok ok. All harmonics are the same in essence, but there's just different ways of playing them. What you did was create an artificial harmonic instead of a pinch harmonic. There's a difference in technique to create them. So when you say "correct" way to create a harmonic there is none, there are so many ways many more invented every day. Here's a cool one from Herman Li, swap your pick into your fret hand and change your hands around so they're backwards. Then mute the strings lightly with your right hand ( if you're right handed) and scrape all the strings in a downward motion with the edge of your pick where the middle pickup on your guitar is. If you don't have a middle pickup just play in between the other two where it should be if you would of had one. If you do this right you can create the "pacman" sound.
ಥ_ಥ
Quote by halfback_712
ok, its an ARTIFICIAL harmonic. You know what i mean. It goes wwwwwwwwwhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaa and it sound cool. You get the idea. How does it sound compared to the more difficult correct way to play it?

Isn't an articificial harmonic when you use one of your fretting fingers as a movable nut?
An artificial harmonic is any harmonic made that doesn't occur on the guitar when the strings are unfretted. What you are describing is a form of artificial harmonic, as is a pinch harmonic, and this pick thing being talked about.
An artificial harmonic is a harmonic produced by muting out the fundimental tone. Lightly placing your finger on the fifth, seventh, twelfth... etc frets are artificial harmonics, pinch harmonics are artificial harmonics, etc.

And... that's a pinch harmonic. A pinch harmonic is any artifical harmonic produced by the fretting hand.
when i do it i turn my pick so that its almost perpindicular to the string, then i add thumb.
"It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees"
-Emiliano Zapata