I play in a band at my chruch and I'd like to be able to help a little more, so I want to learn some scales that I can use for improvising. So what are 2, 3 scales tops, that are good for using to improvise? Now, I don't what and answer like "the major scale and all of its modes", I want something like "this scale" and "this mode" are 2 good ones. Sorry to be picky but I want to start easy. Also, if you have any good licks to use with these scales, that would be appreciated. Thanks.
uh... A minor pentatonic postition wquivalent to aeolian and aeolian mode/a natural minor
Quote by rooster456
Guitars will bring girlfriends. Girlfriends won't bring guitars.

Because footstools are cool UG's Classical Guitarists
pm Marmoseti or Confusius to join
It depends what key the songs are in...just find the pentatonic position and then fiddle with that, it's as easy as it's ever gonna get (sounds nice too).
Quote by Csquared1001
uh... A minor pentatonic postition wquivalent to aeolian and aeolian mode/a natural minor

no, a natural minor is differnt it has the notes b and f in it , along the same lines though

i suggest learning the blues scale from that you can dtermine the major and minor penatonic scale all by learning one scale then learn some modes and of course the makor scale.
well, when do i know when to use a major pentatonic ad a minor pentatonic?
Both Pentatonics are the same, only difference is what fingering is used. Major Pent in the 4th fingering is the same as the 1st fingering of the reletive minor pent.

Do you understand how scales work? If so, all you need to know is the major scale, because the reletive scales are just the major scale with different root notes. For example, C major = A minor, and A minor = E Phyrgian, and so on.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
Here are some scales to get you started. These scales do have variations, though I suggest you learn them well before moving onto other ones. A general rule is that you should not mix different scales, but you can use the same scale in different keys. For the following scales I would suggest practicing them in all keys, until you can play them up and down, and play around with them. This can take a while at first. For improvising you can add variation, like long and shirt bends and hammer ons and pull offs. You can also vary speeds etc. For actual improvising you need to know the scale well in different keys, and then you just play around and you start to understand what fits together. All major scales fit together for example C major and A major.

Major Pentatonic

E-|--|X-|--|X-|
B-|--|X-|--|X-|
G-|X-|--|--|X-|
D-|X-|--|--|X-|
A-|--|X-|--|X-|
E-|--|X-|--|X-|

Minor Pentatonic

E-|X-|--|--|X-|
B-|X-|--|--|X-|
G-|X-|--|X-|--|
D-|X-|--|X-|--|
A-|X-|--|X-|--|
E-|X-|--|--|X-|

Blues Scale

E-|X-|--|--|X-|
B-|X-|--|--|X-|
G-|X-|--|X-|X-|
D-|X-|--|X-|--|
A-|X-|X-|X-|--|
E-|X-|--|--|X-|

If you want or need any help, just ask

The key is practice and and to keep at it, dont give up and work on one scale at a time.
Quote by sully111
no, a natural minor is differnt it has the notes b and f in it , along the same lines though

i suggest learning the blues scale from that you can dtermine the major and minor penatonic scale all by learning one scale then learn some modes and of course the makor scale.

uh... i mean the pentatonic Equivalent to the Aeolian mode. not the aeolian mode. Understand?
so....

e------------------------------5-8----|
b-------------------------5-8---------|
g--------------------5-7--------------|
d---------------5-7-------------------|
a---------5-7-------------------------|
e---5-8-------------------------------|
Quote by rooster456
Guitars will bring girlfriends. Girlfriends won't bring guitars.

Because footstools are cool UG's Classical Guitarists
pm Marmoseti or Confusius to join