The title says all, What is the difference between locking and non-locking tuners? I need a lesson here...
-Roy

My Gear
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Stratocaster
Washburn Lyon (LCT24)
Silvertone Revolver Bass
Ibanez IJV50 Acoustic
Fender CD160E-12
Guild Starfire IV
Some cruddy classical that my parents bought off ebay for like 40 bucks.
the locking tuners lock. (don't move. stay in tune better.)
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
I figured that, but I'm talking about what physically is the difference between them? Like is it a difference of design?
-Roy

My Gear
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Stratocaster
Washburn Lyon (LCT24)
Silvertone Revolver Bass
Ibanez IJV50 Acoustic
Fender CD160E-12
Guild Starfire IV
Some cruddy classical that my parents bought off ebay for like 40 bucks.
Well locking tuners mean, that you have a locked system on both ends, so that you never lose tension. So imagine it like this. Your regular guitar has the strings being pulled at the top of the neck, while the bridge lets it loosen, while if you have floyd rose (locking bridge) then you have it pulling on the neck, and the bridge, from both ends, so that means if you tighten the strings with the tuning pegs, you dont have your loose bridge, they WILL snap.
So if you never want to lose tune, get a locking Tremolo system, if you want to be able to tune down, and up, regularly, get a regular bridge.
"Guitarmen, wake up and pluck wire for sound, let 'em hear you play"
-Charlie Christian
"You have to give people something to dream on"
-Jimi Hendrix
"I try to make any guitar do what I want it to do"
-Slash
Locking tuners are actually easier to use, and keep your guitar in tune better.

Rather than wrap the strings around the peg numerous times, you just thread the hole and "lock" them in with the knobs on the back. Then trim and tune.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
The hole on the tuning head closes and the string gets pinched very tight so it doesn't move.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
it's like what they have on basses. I always found it stupid that those weeren't standard on evry guitar
Quote by ericgentz
Well locking tuners mean, that you have a locked system on both ends, so that you never lose tension. So imagine it like this. Your regular guitar has the strings being pulled at the top of the neck, while the bridge lets it loosen, while if you have floyd rose (locking bridge) then you have it pulling on the neck, and the bridge, from both ends, so that means if you tighten the strings with the tuning pegs, you dont have your loose bridge, they WILL snap.
So if you never want to lose tune, get a locking Tremolo system, if you want to be able to tune down, and up, regularly, get a regular bridge.
That's a locking tremelo system. Locking tuners are basically just tuners which lock onto the ends of strings.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by costa
it's like what they have on basses. I always found it stupid that those weeren't standard on evry guitar

actually, theres no such thing as locking bass tuners. bass tuners just look like that because there much bigger, to accomadate the larger strings
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club