I am currently saving up some serious amount of cash for everything I will ever need to play bass with and I should have t in about a year. Next Christmas I'm planning on getting a new bass but that still leaves a amp that can be heard pretty well at a gig over drums and guitars. I hear 120 watts is enough but I want to get as much bang for my buck as possible. I am not interested in like a Line 6 or even a Fender because they overcharge for their amps more than others do that do just as good. I was thinking maybe $300 for a good amp that will get me through gigs. I really want the best deal possible here. I might go up as high a $350-$400, but I really don't want to if I don't need to.
im pretty sure you dont need 120 watts for bass
Guitars:
Parkwood PW320M
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone C-40 willie nelson signature
Squier Strat
Some beat up acoustic from '68

Amps:
Vox Ad50vt
Crate xt15r

Effects:
Vox Clyde McCoy Wah
15 watts play higher then drums. How big is the venue? Also dont venues or places have PA's?
I'd get the Ashdown Electric Blue 15-180. It'll work great. Go for the MAG 15 if you wanna use an extension cab.
I know its pricier, but I use a Peavey TNT 115, which is 200 watts. It's a little over your price range, though.

I suggest a Fender Bassman 150 or as the guy above says, an Ashdown. Really though, it depends on what venues you play. Most, if not all venues have a PA system, where your amp is miked and brought up through the PA's volume; the amp is merely a tone box at this point. So if its tone you're looking for, try out a few different combos and see what you like.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
If it is jsut a venue, dont' get a new amp, get a pre-amp! A nice sounding one too! They will usually have a really powerfull PA and a profesional at the mixerboard!

However, if you plan on playing at stuff like what my bad did, playing out of a Semi-Truck at teh Safeway here in town! (they did this before I joined, but I saw it, it was BAD ****ING ASS! ) then get a 100-300W amp setup. Note that the less Bass you have in your sound, the more power you need!
I'd say 100w is the minimum for small gigs. I'd rather have at least 200w though, and over 300w for a good amount of headroom.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
^i've heard myself perfectly with mine turned to 5 gain 5 volume, and its around 95W with the cab on?
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
^ Yea, but 95 watts isn't much less than 100.

But then again, I felt very overpower playing bass with a SWR WorkingPro 15. I was playing with a jazz band. The amps meant to be 200w, but that's at 4ohms. It's got an extension speaker jack, so I'm guessing it's running at 8ohms which would make the power rating 100-150w. Not a loud band, I had the gain and volume on 3/4.

With my rock band I had to have the gain at half and the volume at about 3/4 using an Ampeg BA115.

In both situations I had the volume to keep up and be heard. But I didn't really have headroom, if I needed to turn up I probably wouldn't have been able to, I probably would have been distorting by then. So that's why I say I like at least 200w. (It wasn't EQ problems either, I know how to EQ so that I cut through.) Right now I'm running at 240w and I have plenty of power and headroom, but I'd like another 2x10 cab to bring myself up to 350w.

You can always turn the amp down, but you can't turn up once you start distorting.

EDIT: I've also kept up with a band using a small 15w combo. I could barely hear my self over the drums, but it worked. Sounded like crap though. So you don't need lots of watts, but it's nice to have.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
I'd recommend looking at some Warwick combos. I got the 150W Sweet 15 for £250 which is roughly $350. Its got fantastic tone, huge volume range.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I have a 120W amp, playing small gigs in pubs and bars. Volume on the amp never goes past 1/3 and it doesnt get miked up. If it is miked up then I have it just loud enough for me to hear what Im playing
Liberation Minister of the UK Price War Army. PM Felkara to join

Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
You idiot....you set your hair on fire for a dollar.

Did you buy some intelligence afterwards??
Well, my amp is 500watts, giving me a lot of headroom, only turned up halfway and I can easily be heard. got it for free. But I stole it from my church, is that a bad thing?

Love the Low end
Quote by Zeelod
Well, my amp is 500watts, giving me a lot of headroom, only turned up halfway and I can easily be heard. got it for free. But I stole it from my church, is that a bad thing?

Not really. When I used to play in church, I was playing through their 30 year old Vox amp. I don't remember how may watts it was, but they made sure I wasn't audible at all (they said i played too many notes).

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy

Quote by mh400nt
Quote by Zeelod

I wouldn't see it as a bad thing.

Yet I don't believe in god and yet I go to church. So I'm a little messed up.
Bass is my life.
I play through a 60 watt amp at practice.At shows a use a range of 200 watt to 600+.

I soy a 400 watt would be ideal.But i love power so I go much bigger than that.
Quote by lol2theworld
I was about to diss kornflipsk8er, but then i realized hes an 03er and im an 09er.
I am inferior to him.

Quote by metalh3ad88
I am fairly certain that kornflipsk8er is GOD!!!11!!!!1!!
Quote by KillEmAll
I have a 120W amp, playing small gigs in pubs and bars. Volume on the amp never goes past 1/3 and it doesnt get miked up. If it is miked up then I have it just loud enough for me to hear what Im playing

who the hell mics a bass amp.di box my friend.
Quote by lol2theworld
I was about to diss kornflipsk8er, but then i realized hes an 03er and im an 09er.
I am inferior to him.

Quote by metalh3ad88
I am fairly certain that kornflipsk8er is GOD!!!11!!!!1!!
Uhh, lots of people Mic bass amps, I mic mine whenever the venue requires it

But I'm running a Yorkville BM400H which is conservatively rated at 400 watts with bursts up to 725.
Guitars
MIM Fender Telecaster
Art & Lutherie Cedar
1969 EKO Ranchero
G&L Tribute L2500

Amps
Traynor YCV40WR
Yorkville BM400H
Peavey TVX 4x10

Effects
Behringer DSP1000
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
Digitech HotRod
BBE Sonic Stomp
Quote by kornflipsk8er

I also mic my amp, even for recording purposes. Its especially potent with a Shure B-57 miking it. I find it adds a little more punch and freedom for tonal arrangement, if you're as selective as I am, which isn't that picky, really.

Quote by KISSguitarist

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy

Quote by mh400nt
Quote by graybass_20x6
I also mic my amp, even for recording purposes. Its especially potent with a Shure B-57 miking it. I find it adds a little more punch and freedom for tonal arrangement, if you're as selective as I am, which isn't that picky, really.

A more common approach that I use is to both mic and DI the amp, I find this gives a much fuller sound.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by SOCOOLITHURTS
I am currently saving up some serious amount of cash for everything I will ever need to play bass with and I should have t in about a year. Next Christmas I'm planning on getting a new bass but that still leaves a amp that can be heard pretty well at a gig over drums and guitars. I hear 120 watts is enough but I want to get as much bang for my buck as possible. I am not interested in like a Line 6 or even a Fender because they overcharge for their amps more than others do that do just as good. I was thinking maybe $300 for a good amp that will get me through gigs. I really want the best deal possible here. I might go up as high a $350-$400, but I really don't want to if I don't need to.
There are so many variants regardings bass tones required, Punk/metal and to a lesser degree Rock tend to have a more middly type type of sound whereas Blues, Country, MOR and Soft Rock have a more bassy sound.
The difference being that to produce a clean deeper bass sound you will need more watts and better speakers because producing low frequencies requires more energy/watts than middle and high frequencies do.
It is not wise to expect most veunues to provide a full PA; most venues here in the UK don't, you can always turn down when using a 300 watt amp and 15"+ 2x10" cabs but in most cases you can't turn up without your 10"/12"speaker/s flapping and your low wattage amp distorting.
A good bass will sound mediocre through a poor amp whereas an average bass will sound good through a decent amp.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Last edited by John Swift at Jan 21, 2007,
A Yorkville 100 or 200. The 100 is like $500 canadian and the 200 is like $600

You would never need another amp..
Gear:

Crappy Samick Guitar
4x12 Cabinet
Guitar Rig 2
Computer
Peavey Bass
Bass Master 200 Watt bass amp
Quote by kornflipsk8er

Anyone who likes the sound of their amp and speakers, of course!