Page 1 of 2
Me and my best friend/drummer and my bands studio engineer decided to go down to Guitar Center to pick up a few china cymbals and an EQ pedal on Saturday. We get there and I'm headed towards the guitars like a zombie after brains. Theres a big wall of guitars, and I'm looking and looking and I realize they don't really have the guitars I want to try. All the ones I really wanted to play were way up out of reach. Finally I spot a Charvel and plug it into a Line 6 Flextone. Quarter inch is broken. So I think maybe its the guitar. Nope, an Ibanez did the same thing. New amp, new quarter inch, same problem. I try another guitar, same problem. I go to a third amp/quarter inch, plug in, and its marginally better. So I'm really like WTF I've been in here half an hour and haven't played yet. So I manage to get another seat and kind of prop it up under the quarter inch in a way that presses it into the jack. So I finally get to play plugged in on a fourth guitar which is a low end Ibanez because the good ones are out of reach. So I get an Explorer, start to play, and realize that the thing must be tuned about 4 octaves below standard. So I'm again like WTF I'm not going to sit here and tune this stupid thing. So I give up in frustration, totally appalled. I definitely won't be going to that GC again.

I know theres a lot of GC experience threads but I had to get it off my chest. It ruined my life lol.
We're only strays.
Always happens in GC. I don't think I've ever just taken a guitar, plugged it in and started playing.

lol
I'm not racist.

I hate everyone the same.

would it have hurt to have asked for some assistance? just a thought, I haven't been to GC myself =/
Quote by Newbius_Maximus
would it have hurt to have asked for some assistance? just a thought, I haven't been to GC myself =/

No because then they'd just try to sell me some stuff.
We're only strays.
this is the gc standard i think when they go on break the watch us try to get stuff to work...sually im a sucker and ill actually tune the guitar haha
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
I like GC. Usually stuff is screwy there but its the only place I know where I get to negotiate on the price for new gear.
ya they dont do a great job keeping their stuff playable. i tried out an american strat once and wondered y it felt so crappy. gave it to the worker and he said the neck was bowed. it happens a lot more often to stuff hung higher up since its used less often. not too many kids come in and reach for the goods lol.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
i remember being younger and almost droping a JEM my heart stoped...
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
ive actually had really good experiences with GC

Sam Ash, on the other hand, i could certainly live without.. the people there were retarted.. i stood at the counter for 10 minutes and the guy didnt even acknowledge that i needed help. at least at guitar center, the employees offer to help you practically right when you walk in the door, even if it is only kuz they get paid on commission... at least theyre smart enough to pretend they care what you need.
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
Dude, I love GC. I don't know why you guys hate them so much...

The guitars on the top, if you want to use them, just ask for it and they will give it to you.

The amp doesn't work? Tell the guy that works that and he will get a new amp for you to try it out.

You just have to talk man... no need to be anti-social -_-
My GC isn't bad, fortunately.

I just hate when there's no seats in the acoustic room.
Quote by tronsbasscool
This is my 5th account and I still havn't made any friends

My Rig
ESP Viper 1000
Crate RFX120

<//////>~
I've never had any trouble with the gear or thee employees at any Guitar Center I've been to. Maybe with the customers, but never anything else.
Quote by MastaBassist10
I've never had any trouble with the gear or thee employees at any Guitar Center I've been to. Maybe with the customers, but never anything else.

Yeah, when I went there to try out some guitars there were some guys having amps on like max volume.
What really sucks is when they sell an Ibanez RG7620 that you had on hold... I put the 7620 on hold on a Wednesday night, returned the weekend with the money and found out that they sold it?! Then, one of the employees tried to tell me that every Ibanez guitar is made in Japan, regardless of the stamp on the back of the headstock, lol. Moron...
Everytime I have been at GC, they seem to be helpful. Like someones else said, maybe it's the customers that suck.
Quote by Guitarmiester
What really sucks is when they sell an Ibanez RG7620 that you had on hold... I put the 7620 on hold on a Wednesday night, returned the weekend with the money and found out that they sold it?! Then, one of the employees tried to tell me that every Ibanez guitar is made in Japan, regardless of the stamp on the back of the headstock, lol. Moron...

lol, they do that all the time.
Quote by tronsbasscool
This is my 5th account and I still havn't made any friends

My Rig
ESP Viper 1000
Crate RFX120

<//////>~
My guitar center is pretty cool, they must have every kind of strat there and in tune, I swear they tune ALL the guitars overnight or something. I tried a highway one strat through a fender hot rod deville and was thoroughly impressed in the cleans, the smooth overdrive, and the volume it can handle.

Plus this guy helped me with everything and even did some acoustic guitar and bass shredding. Obviously I know he was getting paid to help but I actually did go into guitar center to buy a new acoustic so for once them badgering me was very helpful.
I've never had a single problem with GC. The one in Nashua is awesome. The only pitfall is that its 20 minutes away, and my car is broken.
Basses
Ibanez Gio GSR100 w/ SDs

Amps
Acoustic B200
I went to demo some Paul Reed Smith custom 24's a couple of years ago. When I asked for them to pull one of them down, the clerk took a look at me and said "that's probably a little out of your range, why don't you go look over there" and points at a rack full of low end yamaha guitars. So I asked him again, kindly, and again he said no. So I pull my wallet out and pulled out my cash (I was carrying about 1800 on me...I had a great job but no bank account, so I was cashing all of my paychecks at that point). So I thumb through the cash, look back up at the guitar, look back at the clerk and say "yeah, I guess I am just a few bucks short...I'll go see what the other stores can work out"....I've never seen someone try to backtrack over their words as fast as he did.

The GC by my house...it's hit and miss, and mostly miss. Their amps are trashed out, even the Mesas (torn grill cloth and broken pots and jacks...and they still demand that you pay full price) and the guitars have simply been abused. I ordered my mesa and made it clear that no one is to open the box except for me...I've already paid in full and I expect them to uphold thier promise. If they don't...well, I might just walk out with more than I intended to.
The only problem I've ever had at the GC near my house is when the guitars are out of tune...The guys who work there are always nice and cool. Never bother me, I guess I'm lucky my guitar center isn't bad. I've never really played anything that was totally trashed.
Quote by patalp
Yeah, when I went there to try out some guitars there were some guys having amps on like max volume.

Yeah, when they do that, I just plug in and rip out some crazy hamonic minor shit (cause that's my style, yo) and they're like "oh".

Then I go home and lash myself 10 times on the back for being an asshole.
I must be one of the lucky few that has never had a bad GC experience
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
i love GC. the guy that helped me out last time when i bought my schecter just called me today and asked how i liked it and if there were any problems with it. nice guy. im definatly going back when i need something.
Quote by IsThereLoveInSp
I must be one of the lucky few that has never had a bad GC experience

Yeah same here. The guys that work there are nothing but nice to me and all of the guitars I've played have been in perfect condition. The noise is really the only problem, but that's not really the store's fault.
at mine, all the retarded nu metal d-bags that think Disturbed is the greatest thing to happen to music since Hendrix hang out and wail away at de-tuned (badly) 3 chorded songs (that are already bad to begin with) and praise each other for sucking it up and blairing their amps over everyone else. even worse, they degrace legendary guitars, like the exporer, the JEM, RR1's and Dimebags signature deans. the bastards
The Big Three

RR1 Rhoads, Dean FBD Dimbag Tribute ML (check), Ibanez Bad Horsie JEM

"blacker than the blackest black...times infinity."

"so get your ass checked out before its to late, turkeys!"
Quote by moonhawk
i love GC. the guy that helped me out last time when i bought my schecter just called me today and asked how i liked it and if there were any problems with it. nice guy. im definatly going back when i need something.

yeah they did that for me too when i bought my Vox wah.. im really satisfied with my experiences there
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
I absolutely loathe guitar center. First of all, the two stores closest to me are each 45mins away (not their fault, but it pisses me off). Things just get shittier from there.
Right as I walk through the door, they ask me to take my guitar outta the case and leave the case with them. I'm like "WTF, this is a 4,000 dollar guitar, i'm just trying test out pedal tones. I wont steal anything... watch me with the eyes of a nazi hawk, just let me keep the guitar in the case." Sometimes they let me... sometimes they don't. I've driven 50mins back home once when they wouldn't let me bring my case into the store.
When I start browsing, I begin to notice that every guitar they have hanging on the wall is bullshit and cheap. I can't find what I'm looking for. Everything I've wanted they don't carry in-store (like a scalloped strat or a gibson 3pup LP SG) I found a LP Custom there and it played alright, but it had been cased before the finish dried. The white finish had pink dye stains all over it! That was over 5 months ago and they still have it for sale with a price tag at over $3,000. Also, when I'm talking to a Guitar Center employee, I really feel pushed to buy something. Their guitars are rarely in tune, cords and headphones for the pedals are rarely where they need to be...

I know they're the same company, but at Musicians Friend its a world of difference. The staff is really ****ing cool, all they want to do is talk about gear all day. I was making a few large purchases, and manager introduced himself and even gave me a tour of the Private Stock room where we opened up random boxes of $4,000+ guitars. The man asked if I wanted to play a blackie reissue, and I had to turn him down. I might have bought it right there and then. MF has EVERYTHING too... except mesas.

****, maybe i do like guitar center.
yeah, most of the guys at my GC are a buncha dipsticks. this one dude told me that solid-state amps are much better for metal than all-tube amps and i looked at him like are you ****ing insane?!?
Ibanez VBT700 V-Blade
Ibanez RG220B
Dean Vendetta 1.0
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech XMM Metal Master
Digitech RP80 Multi Effects
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
GC was horrible when I went. I was looking to play a Yngwie Malmsteen Strat, and an Ibanez Jem7vwh in particular. They had nothing. All they had were cheap Korean/ Indonesian Ibanez, and cheap MIM Fenders. They didnt have any high end stuff. Well, they did, but they were the useless 45,000 dollar Gibson and Fenders. Useless store.
I'm back, you douchebags.
my guitar center is fortunately very nice, i've never once seen any damaged or abused guitars or amps and the guys who work there are some of the happiest, most helpfull employees i've ever seen. when i my new Gibson LP there, the guy threw in 3 song books (guns n roses anthology, best of bryan adams, and journey: greatest hits), a 30-inch monster cable, a really nice leather strap, two packs of DR .10's, and 3 blank tab books for free. i was very impressed. another time, one of the employees even jammed with me in the soundproof room during his break
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM strat with dimarzio pups
JCM800
Egnater Rebel 30
Takamine Acoustic
tons of pedals
I like the one in Fredericksburg, VA. The employees there are really nice, will help you out almost all the time, dont breathe down your neck while your playing, and they dont try to constantly sell you Marshall MGs. The one in Rockville, MD on the other hand, is pretty shitty. Everyone there is a prick unless you either pull out a wallet, or you have a parent with you. Then they jump on you and recommend you Spider IIs and MGs, and while you are playing an amp, they turn all the knobs to make you sound 'better', and they turn it up and half the store can hear you play. One time I went in asking about a B-52 AT112, and the salesguy says "oh, you dont want that piece of shit. you should try this out" and then takes me over to a Behringer halfstack. Sadly, thats the closest one to my house, and none of the local stores get a lot of gear.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
No because then they'd just try to sell me some stuff.

GC, sell stuff!

Here I thought it was a place to go in and **** around with free guitars
i dunno if this was bad but some guy tried to sell me a 30 watt acoustic amp and said that if i used a electric-acoustic in a electric guitar amp it would feedback like crap on the clean channel and said it was all i needed for a gig
Quote by One Way Ticket
GC was horrible when I went. I was looking to play a Yngwie Malmsteen Strat, and an Ibanez Jem7vwh in particular. They had nothing. All they had were cheap Korean/ Indonesian Ibanez, and cheap MIM Fenders. They didnt have any high end stuff. Well, they did, but they were the useless 45,000 dollar Gibson and Fenders. Useless store.

Sounds like your standards are a little high, I mean come on, they're going to have WAY more beginners looking for a decently priced starter than players of multiple years looking for a guitar that's very expensive and has upgrades that are usually either hit or miss. My Center has some pretty nice fender and Gibbys (as I said they must have every kind of strat) but they don't have many other brands.
True. How many people are looking for a yngwie strat...
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
If youre in norcal, Skips Music FTW. Privately owned, properly run.

You'll never fun into crap like this at skips.

PS Has anyone else ever noticed that theres like, no structure to the way they put guitars on the wall? At skips, the bottom row on the wall are crappy, the ones on the top $1500+. At GC the guitars are all spread around, crappy ones on top and good ones in the middle, guitars that dont work on bottom, ect.

I always tune the guitar, cuz i'm a sucker
Any main-stream guitar shop should have upper class guitars. I went to my Sam Ash, and they had everything I needed. Seriously, its a rediculous jump from 600$ Korean/ MIM Ibanez/ Fenders to 30,000-50,000 Fenders/ Gibsons.
Quote by chryee090130
i dunno if this was bad but some guy tried to sell me a 30 watt acoustic amp and said that if i used a electric-acoustic in a electric guitar amp it would feedback like crap on the clean channel and said it was all i needed for a gig

well yeah you would feedback....but i'm not sure how youre going to stop it if your guitar volume is high enough, no matter what amp your using. I vote bullshit on that guy, dude.
Quote by One Way Ticket
Any main-stream guitar shop should have upper class guitars. I went to my Sam Ash, and they had everything I needed. Seriously, its a rediculous jump from 600$ Korean/ MIM Ibanez/ Fenders to 30,000-50,000 Fenders/ Gibsons.

I would think mainstream places would have lower end stuff because most people that don't know much about something are going to go to a place named after said thing in the hopes of finding cheaper said things.
Every single Sam Ash I've went to had always had nice guitars. Theyve always had what I needed. I've been to other guitar centers too. They've had nice things aswell. I dont see why this one should be an exception.
Page 1 of 2