I've been losing motivation in playing my guitar lately, it's mostly because my tone just plain sucks...It's so muddy and I can't even EQ correctly.

I'm using an Ec-1000 and Mule pick ups with a roland cube 30...I feel like I'm not even giving my gear justice.

Anyone have tips for EQuing? I mean, I know you have to depend on your ears on it...but a bit more detailed tips would be very appreciated.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Danno13
More mids! No reverb!

+infinity
No reverb means no reverb.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
If you sound muddy, how old are your strings?

I never keep guitar strings on for more than two weeks. Most brands only last me one.

Unless they are elixers. My current set is 6 months old, the aren't muddy, they hold tune, and they are still silver.

Which is a shame cause I have no excuse to take em off but I just bought some Dean Markley 13's that I wanna put on.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Thanks for the help guys.

Honestly, I see how important tone is nowadays, If I can't even SOUND good, what's the use? My playing will sound horrible.

I love reverb...but I'll take it out just for the case and I'll change the strings (havn't changed the strings in over a month)

Bump, for more suggestions.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
take your amp to a different room in the house. My old spider 2 sometimes sounded rubish depending on where in the room i had it. Maybe put it on a table or something.
Quote by Def
take your amp to a different room in the house. My old spider 2 sometimes sounded rubish depending on where in the room i had it. Maybe put it on a table or something.

Spider IIs ALWAYS sound rubbish....
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Def has a point, I never move my guitar amp, but when I play my trumpet it sounds way different in the living room and my bedroom. Obviously, your parents probably wouldn't be too happy if you set up shop in their room, but try messing around with it.
Quote by Jinskee
Thanks for the help guys.

Honestly, I see how important tone is nowadays, If I can't even SOUND good, what's the use? My playing will sound horrible.

I love reverb...but I'll take it out just for the case and I'll change the strings (havn't changed the strings in over a month)

Bump, for more suggestions.

The thing about reverb, is it sounds good when you're playing by yourself, because it fills up a lot of space, but when you go to the band, it sounds crap, because theres no longer this space that you need to fill, and it just makes you sound less-tight.

Putting your amp on something such as a chair is a good idea, that'll loose excess bass from floor coupling.

In my experience, strings havn't played that critical of a role in terms of muddiness, I'm the kind of guy who changes his strings when they break. They have an effect, but I don't think it's the problem in this case.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
Change strings every two weeks??? This is off subject, but god damn, your not even giving your strings long enough to break in. If your wearing out strings in two weeks, maybe you should consider not buying them at Wal-Mart.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
Change strings every two weeks??? This is off subject, but god damn, your not even giving your strings long enough to break in. If your wearing out strings in two weeks, maybe you should consider not buying them at Wal-Mart.

Dude, this is TGM, his no.1 idol is SRV.

You get the picture?

Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
xifr...

Cheers for the response.

Also, about lowering my pick ups...Would it just be better to ask them to set my guitar up? Cause I havn't set my gutiar up....ever, maybe that's a reason? Another thing, I'm also pissed that when I played my friend's starcaster through my amp (just to try it out) It sounded alot different from my guitar, although it didn't play as well, the tone was a tad better...I almost crawled into a hole after that.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee
xifr...

Cheers for the response.

Also, about lowering my pick ups...Would it just be better to ask them to set my guitar up? Cause I havn't set my gutiar up....ever, maybe that's a reason? Another thing, I'm also pissed that when I played my friend's starcaster through my amp (just to try it out) It sounded alot different from my guitar, although it didn't play as well, the tone was a tad better...I almost crawled into a hole after that.

Well it's pretty easy, all you do is adjust the screws on the side of the pickups, they adjust the height.
Here's a guide which includes pickup height guidelines:
http://www.kinman.com/html/toneWorkshop/tone.htm
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
Quote by LuthierofTexas

Like xifr said, I know what I'm doing. And yeah, about SRV, I've got a set of 13's to put on next.

These aren't wall mark strings, the crappest strings I'll even touch are Dean Markleys. I spent about a year or maybe more trying every brand and guage that was available in Aus, and I found four that are decent, only two of which I'd play.

They cane DR, D'addario, Ernie Ball. They all usually go black for me in two weeks, some like Fender, GHS, Ernie Ball go in less time. I am a bit extreme, as in I wear out strings fast.

Thank god Elixers last forever though, I'm not exaggerating when I say 6 months and they haven't lost their shine. Of course they don't have new string tone, but the have that nice broken in tone where it isn't metallic and it's not yet muddy.

Pros on tour change strings every gig, since the sweat from one gig ruins the tones.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Jesus. I couldnt afford that. I try and get strings that will last for a while so I dont have to change them all the time.

This is off subject I know, but how good are Elixir strings?
Dude, if only I can get Elixirs in where I live............
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
by Mule pickups do you mean Bareknuckle?

We'll this proves it.. Single coils ALWAYS sound better, even than the top of the line humbuckers.
^^ Yea, changing strings took alot of money, $14 every two weeks was a bitch, so after I found what suited me I stuck with Elixirs since they last.

And Elixirs rock, they save money and sound almost as good as Markleys, they are a very close second in my book.

Just be glad you don't play bass, strings are 2-3 times more expensive. In Aus elixirs for guitar are $40, for bass they are $120. Good thing you can clean and reuse bass strings eh?
Quote by TGM
^^ Yea, changing strings took alot of money, $14 every two weeks was a bitch, so after I found what suited me I stuck with Elixirs since they last.

And Elixirs rock, they save money and sound almost as good as Markleys, they are a very close second in my book.

Just be glad you don't play bass, strings are 2-3 times more expensive. In Aus elixirs for guitar are $40, for bass they are $120. Good thing you can clean and reuse bass strings eh?

For you my friend, I have connections . I can get D'addrio guitar strings for $5 a set, and elixers (for acoustic) for $20. I don't know how much I could get bass strings for, but I'm thinking about half.

This is who I get them from:
http://stores.ebay.com.au/Guitar-Easy
though I get them cheaper because I'm his friend, but they still have very good prices, probably best in Australia.
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
^Nice, how about Indonesia ??
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Quote by TimmyPage06
by Mule pickups do you mean Bareknuckle?

We'll this proves it.. Single coils ALWAYS sound better, even than the top of the line humbuckers.

I just don't get it though...It might be just me or something's wrong with my pick up leveling...but how can pups on a STARcaster sounds better than BKP Mules...it just doesn't add up!

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by bluespunkmetal
^Nice, how about Indonesia ??

Message them, they should be able to post worldwide.
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
/bump.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R