Page 1 of 2
Hi, im new to these forums, but im hoping that you guys can help me out.

Im after a new amp head to use with my marshall 2x12 cab (i sold my jcm2000 100w head last year because it was FAR TOO LOUD and i wasnt happy with the sound). I will be using it for band practices and small/medium size gigs.

My main guitar influences are bands like Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, Iron Maiden etc, however my band plays more stuff like Thin Lizzy, Pink Floyd, U2, Muse, Oasis, Foo Fighters, Queen etc

I was looking at the Peavey Transtube 100dfx Head, which looks promising because you can switch it from 25/50/100 watts and seems like it would be versatile soundwise.

Im also thinking about a tube amp, a VOX AC-30 CC Head.

I have a Ts-9 Tubescreamer and a Boss metalzone (thinking of replacing), so it is mainly a decent clean sound im after, and then use pedals for overdrive/distortion. I want to be able to get warm overdrives with lots of sustain, and I also want to be able to go a bit heavier if i need to.

Any recommendations on which one I should go for?
Thanks, any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by red_mosquito at Jan 20, 2007,
stay tube man! Yeah the would be a very nice choice! and with the TS-9 you could push it to get more OD, maybe a DSL50 ??
Quote by False_God
stay tube man! Yeah the would be a very nice choice! and with the TS-9 you could push it to get more OD, maybe a DSL50 ??

So with the vox and the ts-9, how much distortion can i get? Will it be good for all the above styles?
Damn! The Vox is so much better that I can't believe these are the two amps you're looking at. The Vox'll do everything you need to do beautifully, outside of the heaviest of metal. I've been looking at that head myself. I don't need it, I just want it. Bad.

Peavey makes some nice all tube stuff, too. The Windsor, or a Classic 30/50 might be good choices for you, too.

If you can afford the real thing, don't go for that Transtube BS. Please.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
i've been told to vox could get some pretty good gain when its cranked. and with the ts-9 i'm sure you could get it to scream. make me jealous, get the vox.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
cool, thanks guys, ill probably go for the vox.

I guess the peavey just seemed a 'safer' option because i dont know too much about tubes, and when i had the marshall i was always afraid they'd go wrong.
Well the vox could easily do tho! Would you look into a Marshall Plexi reissue? They would be very good! If not the VOX is your best choice!
Quote by False_God
Well the vox could easily do tho! Would you look into a Marshall Plexi reissue? They would be very good! If not the VOX is your best choice!

I think the marshall will be too expensive. The vox is £425, which i think is good, but is about the maximum i want to spend. I think im going to buy it. Thanks for the help!
how much money do you have?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Valves can be too loud but if you use a Powerbreak or another Attenuator you can keep the volume down nicely
My Gear :
Fender American Strat in Metallic Red
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Fender 15 Watt Amp (Upgrade soon to a Marshall )
Red Furry guitar strap

John Frusciante - The Greatest Guitarist EVER
Quote by Dave_Mc
how much money do you have?

I dont really want to spend more than £425, which is how much the vox is.

Quote by Jimbo999
Valves can be too loud but if you use a Powerbreak or another Attenuator you can keep the volume down nicely

Yeah, the marshall I had was too loud but that was 100w. You think the vox will be too loud? I believe its 33w switchable to 22w. I dont really want to buy a powerbreak aswell.
0mG!! g37 t3h V0ckz i7 Te|-| RTocKs3rz!!oen

seriously, vox rox my sox, they are sweet amps. only if you crank it, though, so try to see if it isn't too loud.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by slatsmania
Damn! The Vox is so much better that I can't believe these are the two amps you're looking at. The Vox'll do everything you need to do beautifully, outside of the heaviest of metal. I've been looking at that head myself. I don't need it, I just want it. Bad.

Peavey makes some nice all tube stuff, too. The Windsor, or a Classic 30/50 might be good choices for you, too.

If you can afford the real thing, don't go for that Transtube BS. Please.

Mine comes in on Tuesday.
assuming you want a nice blues/classic rock type of tone, I doubt you'll get much better (new) for £425. since you already have a cab.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^that looks cool.
My Gear :
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Red Furry guitar strap

Quote by Gibson_Rocker
How quickly do you need this? Because if you are willing to wait a while you could get this new vox head http://www.voxamps.co.uk/classicplus/ac50cph.asp I plan on buying it as soon as it comes out!

why would you do that?

Granted, by all means make a beeline to try it out as soon as possible once it comes out, but to intend to buy it?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
assuming you want a nice blues/classic rock type of tone, I doubt you'll get much better (new) for £425. since you already have a cab.

yeah, as long as its got good cleans, and versatile overdrive/distortion im guna go for it. unfortunately theres no decent shops anywhere near me to try it out.

Quote by Gibson_Rocker
How quickly do you need this? Because if you are willing to wait a while you could get this new vox head http://www.voxamps.co.uk/classicplus/ac50cph.asp I plan on buying it as soon as it comes out!

thats looks cool, but i bet its expensive.
How about a Fender Blues Deluxe, amazing cleans and a good OD which can be boosted with your tube screamer
My Gear :
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Red Furry guitar strap

1. OD pedals don't boost the amp!

2. he's looking after a head, i'm pretty sure all the fender blues series amps are combos.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Well OD pedals boost the gain. For example a tube screamer and the amps distortion = more distortion. Overall, that VOX looks the best
My Gear :
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Red Furry guitar strap

Good for you man. I think they sound great, theyre not for me personally (I just cant get the RHCP sounds lol) but are great amps.

Hey you've only been a member a couple of days. Welcome to UG
My Gear :
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Red Furry guitar strap

Quote by Jimbo999
Good for you man. I think they sound great, theyre not for me personally (I just cant get the RHCP sounds lol) but are great amps.

Hey you've only been a member a couple of days. Welcome to UG

Thanks, yeah ive used the site for a few years to get tabs but have never used the forum until now.

I ordered the amp! I hope i dont regret it lol
Thats what returns are now, it looks great though.
My Gear :
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Red Furry guitar strap

Quote by red_mosquito
yeah, as long as its got good cleans, and versatile overdrive/distortion im guna go for it. unfortunately theres no decent shops anywhere near me to try it out.

yeah, it does, as long as it sounds the same as the combo version which I've tried. Don't be expecting metal out of it either.

Quote by tubab0y
1. OD pedals don't boost the amp!

depends how you set it up, surely? if you set the level high and gain low, that should be mostly boosting the preamp tubes. You'll probably have a little pedal dirt in there too, I guess.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The wattage on a tube amp isn't really gonna make anything louder or quieter if you are running through a cabinet. I know from experience from using my Mesa F-100 head which goes from 100 to 60 watts. There is no difference in volume and it has a better tone with 100 watts surprisingly.

You should look for a combo that also has speaker outputs. The XXX, 5150, or 6505; Carvin V3, Carvin Legacy; Mesa F-100, F-60 (if you insist), Nomad; Fender Hot Rod.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Dave_Mc

depends how you set it up, surely? if you set the level high and gain low, that should be mostly boosting the preamp tubes. You'll probably have a little pedal dirt in there too, I guess.

If you cut the gain down too far you will lose a little volume and output as if not using the pedal at all. With the drive at about 3 o' Clock you'll get a bit of dirt as you stated and the boost as wanted.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
^ nah you won't, not if it's a good pedal.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ nah you won't, not if it's a good pedal.

Yeah, its kinda hard to say much when your talking about a Bad Monkey and multi effects pedals.

The last time I've used my freinds Ibanez TS (old one) has been a while ago.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Dave_Mc

well yeah, but then you're turning it into a very elaborate booster pedal, more like a clean boost than an OD.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
^ yeah. but you can do it. which is the opposite of what you said.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The VOX is out of stock until the end of feb so ive got to wait.
Ive bought it tho, so they're guna send it as soon as they get them in.
That sucks, mate. Although I'm pretty sure it'll be more than worth the wait. It may still be pretty loud, though, depending on what kind of speakers you have in your cab. My 5w Valve Jr. has quite a lot of kick for the little amount of power it has. I can easily play coffee houses with it.

Just something to keep in mind and it'd probably be a sound investment to get a power attenuator.
American Ash Deluxe Tele
Squire Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
'65 Fender Deluxe Reverb RI
'53 Fender Deluxe 5C3
California Dreamer
Valve Junior
2X12 Avatar w/ V30's
Yeh the Marshall Powerbreak is a pretty good one I hear. However, if like me you play mostly cleans, the volume could be kept pretty low. Ive not got much experience on this but when I played a 60W Bassman it was loud but not deafening so I think you'd do fine with it and if its switchable to 22W as you said it should be great for practises and shows.
My Gear :
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Red Furry guitar strap

Last edited by Jimbo999 at Jan 22, 2007,
Thats crazy I love my dsl100/1960A I can get all the tones of the bands that you play....I only have to have it at like 2 or 3. Maybe its not your cup of tea but you got rid of a soon to be a sought after classic amp.
I Used a Vox AC30 CC for a gig and it was the sweestest thing on earth! I used the 2x12 combo. Good choice, you won't be disappointed at stage volumes!
Quote by andrew7667
That sucks, mate. Although I'm pretty sure it'll be more than worth the wait. It may still be pretty loud, though, depending on what kind of speakers you have in your cab. My 5w Valve Jr. has quite a lot of kick for the little amount of power it has. I can easily play coffee houses with it.

Just something to keep in mind and it'd probably be a sound investment to get a power attenuator.

Yeah, it might be good to get an attenuator...at least then i can play it it the house aswell.
Ive just found this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140076542992&fromMakeTrack=true

Its got awesome reviews:
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/TUBEJUICE/Tubejuice+Attenuator/10/1
This might seem a stupid question, but apparantly the head has an output impedance select of 8 ohms and 16 ohms, and if i remember correctly my cab has two inputs, one for each. What would be the difference?
Page 1 of 2