Iv'e been looking for a noise gate for some time but ive only found a couple and they're pretty expensive... how come they cost more than other pedals like distortion pedals and such? And if you know some site selling them to a decent price post it please.
What is preety expensive to you? If anything you could go used to find something more in your price range. I personnally think noisegates cost more because they are a rare breed of pedal. Everyone wants overdrive, wah, etc. But noise gates clean up your sound after you run every effect you can think of through your signal path. Well at least a good noise gate would do that cough:decimator:cough.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
^^if you are having a hi gain distortion, it may create feedbacks when you are not playing. basically a noise gate does is to cancel that noise.

i here the isp decimator is great. and noise gates are expensive probably because of marketing strategy. its not that in demand. or maybe im wrong..
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

Last edited by mothership at Jan 20, 2007,
The rocktron hush pedal is 60 bucks at guitar center. Your not gonna get much cheaper then that. And it works great. Its not just a gate, its a reducer, so it doesn't kill your tone near as much.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Ok. Another question... is the BOSS NS-2 any good? Thats the only noise gate/suppressor/reducter they have on the guitar shop in town...
Ns-2 is good if your cleaning up pedal noise but for amp noise nothing beats the ISP
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by kurosawa
this may be dumb but, what exactly does a sound gate do?

It mutes your signal when it gets below a certain level (one that is louder than the buzz but quieter than your playing) effectively removing noise.

ISP > all others
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
As far as I know they are expensive cos the circuits are complicated.
ISP Decimator is 120 USD most "good" pedals are more expensive than that IMO its relativly cheap. A good OD is 150 a good delay is probably 200. a good wah is 200. a good chorus is 100 to 170. The ISP is relativly cheap in terms of good pedals. Now if you want to compare it to say digitechs garbage pedals yes its expensive compared to them but thats because they are garbage
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
I'm telling you, if your on a budget get online and order a rocktron hush pedal for 60 bucks. It works great. I can crank my amp and it'll take almost every ounce of the buzz out of it.

You don't want the boss pedal. Its a noise gate not a reducer. It'll screw your tone up. The rocktron or ISP are what you want.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
I own a Boss NS-2, and I can't say its horrible. It'll cut out all my amp noise, only mildly taking away some tone. I bought it because i couldnt get my hands on a Decimator, and it was cheaper. Not a bad pedal.