Well whenever a person is like, hey..I like basic metal, and starts a metal band thats the more basic style they get called sabbath rip offs. Whenever I come across one of those bands I usually like them.

What are the best sabbath rip off bands out there?

...Just don't say wolfmother. Not even for a lame joke now that I said that...please.

And maybe I should've put this in the rock forum...
Quote by twistedsister
The Sword

I have their cd. Really like them, except the singer can't really sing.
Candlemass, Cathedral, Corrosion of COnformity, some Fu-Manchu. Basically all the bands I love.
the lesser known of the 4
Wolfmother and The Sword suck.

You could justifiably say that more or less any True Doom Metal or Stoner Metal 'rips off' Sabbath.
It's hard not to be ripped off when you bloody started a kind of music.

EDIT - props for knowing Earthride, bo. Seeing them in April, great band.
La mayyitan ma qadirun yatabaqqa sarmadi
Fa idha yaji' al-shudhdhadh fa-l-maut qad yantahi

Raptoral judgement upon all our sins
This placid island of ignorance
Last edited by chylde_of_fire at Jan 20, 2007,
Why the hell are "rip off" bands being celebrated? If anything, they should try to create thier own sound instead of rehashing the past. I hate retro bands, it's really stupid.
^ I love the bluntness dude. Is Earthride really that good? I just might pick up a CD by them today then

EDIT: To Chylde of Fire.
Quote by JimmyTheRipper
^ I love the bluntness dude. Is Earthride really that good? I just might pick up a CD by them today then.

Get Vampire Circus .

Quote by cockzit
Why the hell are "rip off" bands being celebrated? If anything, they should try to create thier own sound instead of rehashing the past. I hate retro bands, it's really stupid.

Any band that plays a type of music they didn't create are rip offs really. Just because they weren't born during the time it first came out doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to play it now.
Quote by MetalMilitia212
Cathedral ftw.

The only problem is that you have to put up with some pretty haggard singing to hear some great riffs. And don't even get me started about the dance moves.
Quote by MidnightHours
The only problem is that you have to put up with some pretty haggard singing to hear some great riffs. And don't even get me started about the dance moves.

Never, ever, knock Lee's dancing.
Honestly though, listen to their cover of Sabbath's Solitude. Really great singing.

Quote by Dirtydeeds468
Cathedral don't sound very much like Sabbath.

Their Carnival Bizarre album does. Iommi even played solo's on one of the songs.

Quote by chylde_of_fire
Their Carnival Bizarre album does. Iommi even played solo's on one of the songs.

Whoa.

/me goes to listen
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
^ Utopian Blaster specifically.

Quote by MidnightHours

#1 rule: Never watch a doom metal video.
Dickless.
If anyone says Witchfinder General, you should ban yourself from living.
As a result of listing <><'s reports I was banned.

Quote by God Book
#2. Banned by theguitarist (11/03/2006) - X D

Promise to shorten your sig and you'll be unbanned. This is what you get, lol.

HA!
Quote by kirkisking
Electric Wizard

Dopethrone chorus = Iron Man

+1
you cant spell manslaughter without laughter

Quote by ACG
I like my women how I like my cookies. Smothered in diarrhea.
Some Type o negative
The Haunted fan club #1 (PM me to join)
Amon Amarth fan club #3
Member #3 of the METAL MISSIONARIES club
Member #8 of the anti CoF club
#10 MEMBER OF THE OFFICIAL THRASH METAL FAN CLUB
The Melvins are heavy as ****, those guys and Soundgarden were, in my opinion, the heaviest bands from the 80's.

And I still dont know why everyone gives shit to the sword, theyre obviously heavily influenced by sabbath (espescially the vocals) but thier song structures and writing are completely different. When that band gets locked into a tight groove and riffs flow into one another, i cant explain it, its just the shit.
A warriors hand and a wizards mind to wield.
Quote by twentyextysixx
If anyone says Witchfinder General, you should ban yourself from living.

Ah, cheers for the reminder! Witchfinder General FTW. Orange Goblin, Cathedral and Electric Wizard too. For something a bit different try Saint Vitus and Reverend Bizarre. Even some Danzig might appeal if youre looking for something like Sabbath.
I was bad with usernames at age 12. Ah woe.
Quote by IgnoreThis
Ah, cheers for the reminder! Witchfinder General FTW. Orange Goblin, Cathedral and Electric Wizard too. For something a bit different try Saint Vitus and Reverend Bizarre. Even some Danzig might appeal if youre looking for something like Sabbath.

My buddy is a fan of Orange Goblin. Great band to have playing at a party in the background or something.
Black Sabbath sucked until they got Dio anyways. Soon as he left, they sucked again.
Quote by Everybody
Plus_the_Bear is the entertainment event of the holiday season!

My rig:

Ibanez Custom Chinese Fireball
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
2 Crate solid state half-stack cabinets and ampheads.
Digitech 2000 Whammy/Wah Pedal
Dunlops Picks
Quote by MidnightHours
My buddy is a fan of Orange Goblin. Great band to have playing at a party in the background or something.

Definitely, saw them live last year and they were mindblowing.
I was bad with usernames at age 12. Ah woe.