but i dunno what i should practice to help me when i get there. I have been playing for just over a year, and i got a tryout for the intermediate big band at my school, do you guys have any tips on exercises to practice and things that will help me do better when im in the big band? They play a lot of blues/jazz/rock/funk. thx in advanced sam.
Quote by IndieMetalhead
The Laney. you can connect a cab without disconnecting the internet (on mine at least)

WTF!!!!
well i say learn your theory so you understand how things work and it will also help you with your ability to move around the fingerboard. also i can suggest that you just practice your ass off
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
yh i also would quite like to know what to try out, i am going to a mates big band they play mainly blues and jazz i think.

I my mate says they will atleast give me the root notes i was just wondering what are the main scales used or what you would do for fills etc

ps i know major and minor scales atm

soz not trying to hijack the thread

thx
As a bassist, make sure that you know your notes on the neck without a slight hitch, church mode scales (dorian, myxolidian, iridonian, phrygian, ect.),blues scales, make sure that you know chord structure, because jazz chord progressions are harder than any other in music that you will ever play. I guarantee it. Also, make sure that you are keeping time. As the bassist, you are the one who drives the band, and keeps time for the drummer.

In harder jazz, don't take your job lightly! You have one of the hardest parts.

PM me if you need more info.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
learn the blues scale/the minor scale and the modes (for blues), the major scale and as many modes as possible (for jazz). it's all pretty interchangeable and just make sure that your competent
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
so lots of scales then:P

but scales help with everything so gd practise
Scales, theory (chord construction and progression) and timing are critical. Timing is an important one. You need to be able to lock in with the percussionist in a very tight way. You and the drummer are the timekeepers.

Practice your scales and be able to play at least the 7 modes competently along with blues and your pentatonic. Start working on some bass lines for standards as a part of your daily playing.

Good luck and let us know how it goes...
Wow... I can't believe everyone missed this...

if you already don't know how, LEARN TO READ SHEET MUSIC ASAP!

That's one of the most important things to learn for jazz. Without that you stand no chance.
blues scale been major with flat 7th ? im not rli sure :S tho thats what i play in a 12 bar blues :S
Quote by Decdec
blues scale been major with flat 7th ? im not rli sure :S tho thats what i play in a 12 bar blues :S

That's the Myxolidian, which is what blues and jazz basslines are built around.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
Quote by elemenohpee
Wow... I can't believe everyone missed this...

if you already don't know how, LEARN TO READ SHEET MUSIC ASAP!

That's one of the most important things to learn for jazz. Without that you stand no chance.

Its such a given, it really didn't occur to me to mention, lol.

Yes, if you can't read music you are going to have problems at your audition. Every audition I ever had to go through in h.s and college had a "sight-reading" section. So if you "read" music, work on your sight reading skills as well.
well im ok can read, just about from piano phew but also mines not an audition im in if i like it tho i've always had problems with the bass clef
If you are serious about jazz, you better start learning the ol' bass clef. Its not that hard if you stick with it. After a few weeks, I could read both bass and treble pretty confidently, even after years of just playing treble clef instruments.
I would suggest practicing changes between keys through scales. Just try playing in one base key with a simple walking bassline, then practice changing to as many different chords from that base as possible. Get your fingers and mindused to key changes and how they feel.

Obviously reading and scales will help, but I thought I'd suggest something different.
cheers for all the help, i know the fretboard well and can distinguise notes etc, i alos know lots of scales,and i am currently looking at the modes. Has anyone got any good sites for mode theory? I will let you all know how it goes on thursday, thx for all the help.
Quote by IndieMetalhead
The Laney. you can connect a cab without disconnecting the internet (on mine at least)

WTF!!!!
^There's a semi-decent wikipedia article on modes and mode construction. Also, check out the freeware "Scale tool", for fret board patterns and fingerings for most of the scales.
woo went to the band today, they were all rli positive and would like me to continue to go

I think it went well but i had problems, i kept getting lost.

you know how some ppl express themselves with music this was like one big musical conversation where i was left nodding along to :P

but i was getting the hang by the end of it