Ok i have this acoustic guitar for 3 months already. The neck is a little oily. Because of my hands and the GHS fast fret that i use. How do i clean the neck and the fingerboard so that all the oil comes off?
Dude, never use that crap on your guitar. You should get Elixir brand strings, they have a slick teflon coating baked on them and doesn't grease up your fretboard, yet gives that nice smooth frictionless feel.

Don't take my word for it, check it out for yourself. ELIXIR STRINGS

If your guitar is in a bad way. Remove all your strings, chuck them in the bin. Get a nice clean soft cloth, and use MILD soapy water (dish detergent), wring out all the moisture, and carefully wipe the neck & fretboard, inch by inch.

You DO NOT WANT TO GET YOUR GUITAR NECK WET, just have enough moisture to remove all the grease.

Keep turning to a fresh part of the cloth until she's nice and clean again.

Once you've done that, re-string it with Elixir Custom Lites. (the are not light strings, they are their mediums, its just named funny is all).

Make sure you have your new strings ready to put straight on, it isn't good for the neck of the guitar to sit too long without the tension of the strings.
Cole Clark FL1AC Acoustic

Quote by 2007 Stupidity Awards

Instead of using Valves, could I use Light Bulbs instead? If so, would the new energy saving ones be OK? Coz I do a lot of playing

I got my pick stuck inside my guitar . . . . how am I supposed to get it out?
Last edited by DJaye at Jan 20, 2007,
hey thanks DJaye.. I shall go do what u said then.. Add in polishing of frets, and i have myself occupied for sunday afternoon.

Anyway, i saw the dunlop neck cleaner and conditioner at the shop. Does that help in anyway? It costs $15 altogether (singapore dollars). Not sure if its worth the money.
Personally, I wouldn't use it, its only adding more crap onto your guitar, which is what you are trying to correct in the first place.

Its up to you dude. You will do as good a job with a damp cloth in mild soapy water IMO.

Instead of using Valves, could I use Light Bulbs instead? If so, would the new energy saving ones be OK? Coz I do a lot of playing

I'd advise a bit of lemon oil on the neck. Check it out.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
^^^ Yeah, too true.

woot thanks for your advise.. First thing im gonna do sunday morning is strip my guitar of its strings and get 2 work.
does this work for electric aswell? and btw i have a godin acoustic and i use elixir strings which are great good recommendation DJaye
Quote by lespaulcaster
hey thanks DJaye.. I shall go do what u said then.. Add in polishing of frets, and i have myself occupied for sunday afternoon.

Anyway, i saw the dunlop neck cleaner and conditioner at the shop. Does that help in anyway? It costs $15 altogether (singapore dollars). Not sure if its worth the money.

the dunlop neck cleaner should work decently. the conditioner does the same as lemon oil. it moisturizes the fretboard. just remember not to condition your neck too often. too much of anything is bad.

personally, i just use a damp cloth and scrub real firm where the fretboard meets the frets. theres a lot of crap between there.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
'How do I clean my guitar neck'. Put a little dish washing liquid in some warm water. Clean with a damp rag dipped into it. Cleans the grease and crap of dishes, cleans the grease and crap off guitar necks. It's not rocket science.