I asked my shop teacher what I could use to darken my light rosewood fretboard, to almost attain a black color, and he recommended to me that I put some fine steel wool in white vinegar and let it sit for a while, then use that.

Has anybody here ever done that and can vouch for it?
Quote by red star
"If its good enough for gay cowboys, its god enough for you."

Quote by Dyaxe666
you guys are all idiots! SRV played a schecter C1 Blackjack thrugh a metalmaster into a Krankensteing, GOD!
Never heard of that. I have some scrap rosewood I could test it out if you want.
Quote by dave293
Never heard of that. I have some scrap rosewood I could test it out if you want.

That would be really awesome if you could.
And if you end up doing it, do a before and after picture please.
Quote by red star

Quote by Dyaxe666
you guys are all idiots! SRV played a schecter C1 Blackjack thrugh a metalmaster into a Krankensteing, GOD!
Steel wool and vinegar will make you some type of rust (Chem knowledge FTW). I'm guessing this iron based 'dye' is what he's talking about? It would be similar to rubbing charcoal on wood I guess.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Results are in.
Before

After.

From left to right. Normal unstained rosewood, lemon oil, then steel wool/vinegar.

The vinegar/steel wool doesn't really do anything at all. I had the steel wool soaking for 3+ hours. I'll leave it overnight and try tomorrow but i'm not convinced it's going to make much difference.

You'd be much better of using proper dyes, seeing as lemonoil is more effective than the steel wool/vinegar.
can you let it sit for a day or two? they said to let it sit for a week, but a full day or two should be fine.
Quote by red star

Quote by Dyaxe666
Quote by xmrchainsawx
can you let it sit for a day or two? they said to let it sit for a week, but a full day or two should be fine.

I still highly recommend Fiebing's Pro Oil Leather Dye in Black which was what a pro/luthier recommended to me.

Also, just for grins, I checked StewMac, a highly respected supplier of Guitar stuff and saw that they're selling the same brand I recommended earlier. Check out Black Fingerboard Stain at StewMac.

At less than $6.00, I wouldn't risk potentially messing up the fretboard.
Quote by superbadboy2
If you put vinegear your guitar will stink

Yep

Quote by xmrchainsawx

I'll leave it abit longer, at the momment I still think your going to be better off with the proper dyes.