How does Flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers get that awesome almost guitar like sound from his bass? Every bassist I know has a very bassy, low sound, but Flea has an almost guitar like tone. Ive tryed changing the EQ on my friends amp but I just cant get that sound.

Cheers.
My Gear :
Fender American Strat in Metallic Red
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Fender 15 Watt Amp (Upgrade soon to a Marshall )
Red Furry guitar strap

John Frusciante - The Greatest Guitarist EVER
I'd imagine he has the "High" turned up alot and plays with a very hard attack...
O makes sense if you think of it lol. Cheers.
My Gear :
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Red Furry guitar strap

And he seems to pick nearer the bridge, too.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
He also has a humbucker which gives a brighter sound as well as being in the bridge position giveing an even brighter tone. He also attacks the strings hard or he slaps both of which give very bright sounds.
The humbucker's don't give a brighter sound, especially active ones. They give a low sound, and in order to balance out the sound, most people crank the highs and leave the lows moderate and it sounds like they give a brighter sound. Humbuckers themselves give a much, much lower sound.

Even so, you're not going to get Flea's sound with standard old humbuckers. He uses Lane Poors exclusively, which are now out of production.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by UtBDan
The humbucker's don't give a brighter sound, especially active ones. They give a low sound, and in order to balance out the sound, most people crank the highs and leave the lows moderate and it sounds like they give a brighter sound. Humbuckers themselves give a much, much lower sound.

Even so, you're not going to get Flea's sound with standard old humbuckers. He uses Lane Poors exclusively, which are now out of production.

Really? I was always under the impression humbuckers give a broghter sound... Well you learn something everyday but I guess that's why I joined this site.
Quote by UtBDan

Dan pretty much said it all, and yeah buckers give warmer/deeper tones because of the coupled magnets I think, keeps the vibrations from being thin. Again I'm not completely sure.

Plus I'm sure his amp has a lot to do with it (turned up treble) and his technique.
theres a lot to learn about bass that I never realised being a guitar man myself, cheers.
My Gear :
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Red Furry guitar strap

It also helps if you can get new strings whenever you want, but that is difficult as a bass player with little cash. His bass also sounds better because Chad backs him on the kick with most notes (nothing to do with brightness, but it does make a bass sound particularly fat when the kick drum is following your groove).
I went to a rchp concert and during a solo he made his bass distorted
Joey! Watch your speed!