Hello everyone out there, I've got a question for you..

I've been playing the guitar for a couple of years but now maybe me and my friends are going to form a band, but we need an bassist!

Im the one that lost in scissor-rock-papper so Im going to buy a begginner bass pack so my questions are,

What is the biggest different in paying the bass than a guitar?
What should I practice with in the beggining?
And any other thoughts that might help me...
Quote by Heltidsluffare
Hello everyone out there, I've got a question for you..

I've been playing the guitar for a couple of years but now maybe me and my friends are going to form a band, but we need an bassist!

Im the one that lost in scissor-rock-papper so Im going to buy a begginner bass pack so my questions are,

Playing bass shouldn't seem like a punishment. If you really would rather play guitar than bass then just find a kid who already plays bass.
Quote by BodaciousZac
Playing bass shouldn't seem like a punishment. If you really would rather play guitar than bass then just find a kid who already plays bass.

i agree, u dont enjoy it u WILL suck
Quote by Heltidsluffare

I've heard that's how all the great bands chose their bassist
okay, well you see.. where I come from there are no other bassists.. I've never said I wont enjoy it have I? I just have never played bass before and searched for some answers..

But that wasnt my question, if you dont want to answer my questions you dont need to write anything..
I also play guitar and I want to dabble in bass so this thread is useful to me too. What should I do to get my right hand (picking/plucking hand) to get used to playing bass? My left hand is fine.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
wow i hate how the bass is so underated, people need to give it a chance its a great solo instrument, i chose the bass cause i like it more than the guitar, not cause i lost in rock paper scissors, every instrument should be apreciated just becuase its not "the cool thing" doesnt mean its bad, but to help...

Dont play with a pick, be a real bassist use some skill, use the fingers, if you play metal USE THREE fingers, i recommend getting a new amp of coarse dont use a guitar amp, and really its not much different, and dont slack off when writing lines

and good lines to learn are some chili peppers, aerosmith, and led zeppelin in the beggining
Quote by unfathomable_bo
Well it isnt hard to bend a string that has the tension of a piece of well cooked spaghetti, especially when you have hands like goalkeeper gloves

My songs: (more to come) (C4C's)
Screams fell silent underneath the black sun
Here is the story.

I played guitar for over half of my life.I played in a few bands and got introduced to the bass guitar.I slowly made a balance of playing lead guitar and bass on different songs in one band.

That band eventually broke up.

I was approached to fill in on bass for a band mostly consiting of members of the old band for one show.I was still pretty new to bass then but I pleased the group enough that when the bass player desided to switch to lead guitar for the band I was the only person they wanted to take the task of being the new bass play.This was no easy task because the old bass player is extremely talented.It has been nearly a year that I have been in this band and I have developed my own style and contributed a great deal to the band.

Bass is a very different insturment from the guitar dispite being very similar in design.

Each insturment in a band has a "role" to play.I am not saying limit yourself to playing root note.I hate that accually.I also hate when bass players use picks.

A bass player can be the determining factor to the feel of a song.

get a five string.a four string is stupid.
Quote by lol2theworld
I was about to diss kornflipsk8er, but then i realized hes an 03er and im an 09er.
I am inferior to him.

Quote by metalh3ad88
I am fairly certain that kornflipsk8er is GOD!!!11!!!!1!!
okay, thx for the answers so long, I'm ging to buy a new amp ofcourse..

Does anyone have any good llesson for how to play the bass that they can link to? It would be much appreciated, I've already checked the lessons in the UG community but any other site would be great too!
bass is pretty easy compared to guitar

It's easy to play the basslines most bands use.

It's just that guitar virtuoso's are a dime a dozen, and bass virtuosos are rare. Try a little Les Claypool or Cliff Burton, and call it "easy".

But generally speaking... Yeah. Bass is almost exclusively a rhythm instrument, so the challenge is not in technical skill.
Jackson JS30KE
Roland Cube 30
I've played bass for while now (about five years) about one and a half years ago bought a guitar to try and expand my abilities. I'm still a much better bassist than a guitarist so here's what I know.

The skills you need in your struming/picking hand. Electric guitar is realativly easy in comparison to bass. There are a lot of things you can do on bass that simply can't be done on guitar. Slap/pop is one of the more difficult things. If you don't genuinely want to play, there are techniques that will make you want to stop. Your finger tips will eventualy be near bullet proof due to the caluses you'll get. Experement with different styles until you find one that you like. Avoid the tempation to use a pick constantly. It may not hurt like the other styles but it won't sound that great either.
Also your fretting hand will need to get used to the larger scale. When I learned guitar then played my bass again the higher ranges were easyer to hit because my hand was used to a smaller scale. Be ready to stretch your hand.
Remember, bass strings by their very nature can take a great deal of abuse. Don't be afraid to use your striking hand as a percusion tool.

Practice blind playing. Close your eyes and let your hands start to feel around the fret board. Learn where everything is. Try messing around with simplified guitar lines. Greenday, Sum 41 ect. should do the trick. Harmonics and mutes still work on the bass so try working on those. There's a fair amount of complex and chalenging bass music out there. Understand that it will take you at least a year or two to become decent on bass. I still find my self learning new things that make me a better player and hopefuly will continue to do so for the rest of my life.

While it can be a physicly punishing thing, playing bass is not a burden. If you veiw it as such, please step away from the low end.
On the road to the grave, it's best to avoid the passing lane.
Thanks for the answers, I really appreciate this! I know that the introduction when I wrote that I have to learn bass because we need a bassist wasn't that funny that I thougt it to be when I wrote it^^

Since the first time I started to play the guitar I've thought that basslines are great, almost/as big as the guitarparts... Depends on the music ofcourse but anyway..

I've got answers to my questions, thank you again, but I got a last one.

How hard is it to play both the bass and the guitar? Maybe you need to stick to one instrument to learn it the real way, tough many great musicians can play both, or isnt it that hard if you just put in the time needed?
I find playing both isn't that hard. It's all a matter of dedication. When I picked up guitar I put my bass on the shelf for a little while. For about two or three solid months I played my guitar for about an hour each night. Even if it was the same old series of chords repeated over and over I still practiced just so I could get used to it. When I got frustrated I would go back to my bass for mental comfort. Some of the mechanics work on both bass and guitar like partal chords and harmonics so when I learn something new on one I can try it on the other. I find playing both is liberating. Best of luck in your four string adventure.
On the road to the grave, it's best to avoid the passing lane.
Okay, it sounds good to me.. Ill get my hands on a bass and start to practice soon, thanks for the help.