Im looking to either get a bunch of pedals and make a pedalboard, or get a rack unit, but I need to know a couple of things first, thats where you come in.

Can I run a rack unit like the TC Electronic G-Force or the Rocktron Prophesy II with my JSX head and marshall cabinet? Or does it require its own power amp?

I play metal/hardcore/shred/prog and I was wondering if I should invest in a bunch of pedals or a rack unit?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

(Keep in mind I do not want a multi-effects pedalboard)
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
Rack multieffects such as the G-Force does not require any external poweramp as far as I know. I would personally go for a rack unit and get a decent midi pedalboard, since it gives you the opportunity to switch a bunch of parametres with a single stomp, once programmed.
But I guess it's up to preference like most things, stomp boxes should be easier to get going with, no doubt.
Quote by Tensorspencer
Can I run a rack unit like the TC Electronic G-Force or the Rocktron Prophesy II with my JSX head and marshall cabinet? Or does it require its own power amp?

Will you be using the JSX's preamp or are you using the Prophesy II? If you're mainly using the Prophesy you can bypass the JSX's preamp and use its poweramp:

Guitar->Prophesy input->Prophesy output->Effects loop return

Depending on what you are using, you can either put the G-Force in the JSX's or Prophesy's effects loop and just get a midi controller to switch between patches and assign certain parameters to the expression pedal(s).
It sounds like its worth it to save up and get the rack unit then. haha
I want to use my JSX for its ultra channel for my overdrive sound, and then use the rack unit for solo's and clean riffs and such. Would that work?
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
If you want to use the JSX for one thing and then the Prophesy for another you'll need to get a power amp. You could try putting the Prophesy in the JSX's effects loop and use it on the clean channel, but two preamps on top of one another usually sounds muddy and undefined. You'll have to get a power amp to use with the Prophesy. You don't want to cheap out and pair the Prophesy with a SS power amp either. The Mesa 2:90 is one of the best power amps out, but I doubt you're looking to spend that kind of money on just a power amp at the time. Maybe look around for a used Peavey 60/60.
I'm pretty sure you can bypass the JSX preamp by plugging the prophecy directly into the FX return on the JSX. This way you'd be using the prophecy as your preamp and the JSX power section as your power amp.
Quote by TwoString
I'm pretty sure you can bypass the JSX preamp by plugging the prophecy directly into the FX return on the JSX. This way you'd be using the prophecy as your preamp and the JSX power section as your power amp.

I already mentioned bypassing the JSX's preamp stage and he already said he wants to use both the JSX (Ultra channel) and Prophesy II (cleans and lead), not just the Prophesy. Like I said, he'll need to look into a power amp since he wants to use something from each.
So if I want to use something from each, I'll need to pick up a power amp aswell? Ouchh this could put a dent in the budget, it was already looking steep with the pre-amp and the foot controller alone, now with the power amp I might have to change my mind and go with the pedals, I'll look around to see if I can find some cheap but good power amps, can anyone suggest any?
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
I already recommended looking into the Peavey 60/60. I'm sure you could find one fairly cheap.
Yeah Im looking around for one at the moment =) , thanks for the recommendation, any others?
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded