Hi all, if someone could tell me what key this little chord progression is in plz let me kno

D-A-Bm-G

P.S. if you wanted extra "thank yous" you could tell me how to find the key myself? maybe? please?
D major. If you wanna figure out stuff like this, one of the easiest way is to use the circle of fifths.
Uhhhh? circle of fifths? i think i know what you mean but if you could draw it out or explain it that would be helpful.
Yes, its D major. The way to know this would be to know ur major scale formula. Tone Tone Semitone Tone Tone Tone Semitone. D E F# G A B C# in this case. And then by stacking thirds (if u want me to go more in depth just ask) u get: Major Minor Minor Major Major Minor Diminished. Giving us D Em F#m G A Bm C#dim. As you can see, D A Bm and G all appear in the key of D major.
Quote by Kai-Ryu
There are no sharps or flats, couldn't it be in C?
...?

There are sharps in those chords. C# and F#.
Quote by Kai-Ryu

In this case, no. The root notes aren't sharp or flat, but the notes that make up the chords do contain sharps/flats.

D - D F# A
A - A C# E
Bm - B D F#
G - G B D
Quote by Kai-Ryu
There's no C chord. That should be your first hint.

The way to find what key something is in is by doing to following: Write out every note used, match those notes to a known scale, and determine a root. So if you had all the notes in a D major scale and the root was B (this is determined by deciding the note/chord to which the riff resolves), the progression would be in B minor. If the root is D, the progression would be in D major.

[\QUOTE]

Well aside from the fact that it isn't in C, couldn't a song be in C without having a C chord? I don't see how no C chord would change the key if it was like an F - G - Dm - Em or somethin.
Quote by bangoodcharlote

[\QUOTE]

Well aside from the fact that it isn't in C, couldn't a song be in C without having a C chord? I don't see how no C chord would change the key if it was like an F - G - Dm - Em or somethin.
Granted, a chord progression of a certain key doesn't necessarily need the tonic chord, but this usually results in a very weak progression. Most chord progressions contain the tonic chord because it "eases" everything together.
And Here is where the modes start kickin in

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??