Ok, a friend of mine got a mixer and two speakers not that long ago. He says he needs a power amp but we have no idea what to get or how to use that. I am completely clueless when it comes to this stuff. Can someone please helpme understand power amps? Also, is there anything else he will need?
Member #9 of the Carvin club
It's basically a unit that gives power to the speakers. You need to match up the impedances of the speakers with the impedance of the power amp. Also the power amp needs to be rated with as many watts as the speakers need.
"He remembered that they were but flesh, a passing breeze that does not return"
If I tell you all the info on the speakers do you think you can tell me what kind of power amp we would need?
I'm no expert myself, just a while ago i was considering buying speakers/powers amp etc instead of buying a combo or something and i asked someone and that's what they told me.
"He remembered that they were but flesh, a passing breeze that does not return"
If the speakers are powered, IEm they have power cords for them, you don't need a poweramp. If the don't and probably only have 1/4 inputs and outputs, you'll need a poweramp, as well as speaker cables, not instrument cables. many poweramps have multiple output options as well. make sure you set it up correctly ohms wise
They only have 1/4 inputs and outputs. I'm almost positive the speakers aren't powered.

Edit: The speaker are Peavey PR12. My friend says he's positive they are not powered.
Last edited by Quark Soup at Jan 20, 2007,