When did Indie become a style of music rather than just a description of the fact that the bands weren't on a major label? Cos I really like some properly indie bands (as in independent smaller label)
Probably somewhere in the late 80s/early 90s...
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
Smiths.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
Velvet Underground.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

i blame the stupid people who use words to describe music incorrectly cause its happened with indie and punk.
Quote by pumpkins_rule
Velvet Underground.

The Velvet Underground are hardly the definitive Indie Band.
Quote by Keef-is-king
this is a very good question.......

I say Sonic Youth!

Kind of. There were an indy band at first and people called them that. The they become on a major label and people stil called them indie.
Quote by xX*Zeppelin*Xx
The Velvet Underground are hardly the definitive Indie Band.

As far as I know, they were the first rock band to acheive legendary status without any airplay and while belonging to an independant label.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

Quote by mydarkesthour

Quote by pumpkins_rule
As far as I know, they were the first rock band to acheive legendary status without any airplay and while belonging to an independant label.

so how is that straying from the orginal term?
Quote by pumpkins_rule

But it's not really Indie straying from it's true meaning if you know what I mean. They don't sound like the new sort of Indie that's in the mainstream today - like Franz Ferdinand, The Kooks etc..
It's absolutely rediculous. Browse myspace music for "indie" and you'll get hundreds of thousands of results of musicians and bands that oftentimes have nothing in common. For example:

HelloGoodbye (electronica/pop-punk)
The Killers (stereotypical mainstream "indie")
Buckcherry (rock)
Tegan and Sara (chick music)
Alexisonfire ("hardcore")
Gregory and the Hawk (electronica/acoustic)
Kate Nash (brit pop)

Completely different genres lumped into one big group.
Shame.
Quote by Aidy Damage
From the moment 'indie' bands were being signed to major labels.

Probably yeah... and the media.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Indie never strayed from it's meaning - people've just been mislabeling bands for years, and throwing the term around too loosely.

One thing I don't get, though - when people here say they don't like 'Indie' because it all sounds the same, or because it's boring. Anyone else catch the irony?
I'd probably say that the name "indie" was officially dead when Modest Mouse had a video get on MTV.
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
Quote by kromatik
Who cares? Indie music (as it's understood these days) sucks the shite out a dead rats ass...

Only the british stuff and The Killers. Canadian Indie has yet to be tapped by the kniving (sp?) record industry. And wtf to the guy above me? Victory is a terrible label.

Quote by mydarkesthour

Quote by mydarkesthour