this is a total noob question, but what does it mean when ppl say o this band are sell outs??
it means they are writting music just because its popular just to get albums sells and not staying true to their roots

like for example kiss put out a disco album just cause that was popular music at the time looking for high album sells just to make money
no it isnt aways pathetic, because some bands really do sell out. but its way overused.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
it has nothing to do with "roots." is has to do with music fans getting angry when other people besides them like a band. it's called being selfish.
no if a band pisses on thier fans just to make money, the band has sold out and they are the ones being selfish, though like i said, nowadays the term is way overused.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by paintITblack39
When bands make for money.

Exactly. For example, Metallica making a lullaby album for babies... Now that's being a sell out in my opinion.
It's basically when a band comprimises their music in order to sell more records and make more money.
Administrator of the "Guitarists born in 1991 Club" PM me or greendayguitar to join.

Feel free to add me
metallica is making a lullaby for babies.. lol.. that is like a lube company making chocolate
A good hypothetical example would be Muse doing a screamo album. (Which would never happen.)
For the record, they're not really making a lullaby album, are they?
Quote by GuitarManiac09
Exactly. For example, Metallica making a lullaby album for babies... Now that's being a sell out in my opinion.

Why?

I thought that sounded very nice
when a band completely changes their way of music, and their fans get pissed off and call them sell outs
My Gear:
ESP LTD EC-1000 SW
ESP LTD EC 500 STBC
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez 7 string
Randall RH150G3 Head and Cab
Green Day is the best example of who everyone calls a sellout.
All the old fans call Green Day sellouts because their music used to sound a lot more like their true influences (The Clash, etc.) and once they got signed to Arista, their sound changed quite a bit, and most people say it was to sell more records.

If you want an example of a sellout, look at Green Day.
Quote by rockergirl1122
All the old fans call Green Day sellouts because their music used to sound a lot more like their true influences (The Clash, etc.) and once they got signed to Arista, their sound changed quite a bit, and most people say it was to sell more records.

true, but however maybe they felt like they want to go in a different direction in their music as to doing the same old sound they have been doing for years. I mean dont get me wrong, i dont like any of new greenday, i am not standing up for them. Im just saying that just because a band wants to explore new music, and go in a different direction then usal dosnt make them a sell out (not saying thats what greenday is doing, just using them as an example).
Last edited by the_man101 at Jan 20, 2007,
Usually people listen to indie bands because the fact that nobody knows about them hides their true shittiness. When they go big time they say they sell out and hate them because they don't feel superior for listening to obscure music anymore.
I wish I had a sig.

Instrumental preference: Bass and/or vocals (lead or backup)

Quote by Zeppelin256
You're a member of UG.

And you don't want to have buttsecks?

Get the fuck off my internets.
Quote by rockergirl1122

Oh NOES!

The sound of a band changed!

SELLLLLOUTZ LOLZ!!!!

ugh there are really no such things as sellouts. Bands change. No one likes listening to the same shit over and over again and usually artists strive to enhance their abilities in other areas.

+1 to giantraven
Quote by GuitarManiac09

I doubt they'll actually make money with that.
A band that changes its style so that it can fit into the mainstream (People say that one about Green Day and American Idiot..however I dont find it a whole lot different from their previous material), they sometimes will have a reality show (i.e. Ozzy Osbourne).
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
SELLING OUT is when the money is more important than the music and the music is manufactured to make money instead of the other way around. Also, it's when a band tries to and is pressured into making a hit (formula) record and does anything possible to do it.
To "sell out" is to do something that you find distasteful for popularity and/or money.
i think alot of these ''sellouts'' are just artists who CHOOSE to play into a different direction and that the fans who call them sell outs arent being the supportive fans they believe to be but selfish pricks.

im sure there must be SOME sellouts out there, but we cant prove that they didnt choose to do that unless we can read minds, but we cant

so judge not lest ye be judged yourself
Quote by Rising
i think alot of these ''sellouts'' are just artists who CHOOSE to play into a different direction and that the fans who call them sell outs arent being the supportive fans they believe to be but selfish pricks.

im sure there must be SOME sellouts out there, but we cant prove that they didnt choose to do that unless we can read minds, but we cant

so judge not lest ye be judged yourself

I support the bands that I like who change their music, I like the change ,especially Neil Young.
What were talking about here is a real true sell out. For Example Emerson Lake and Palmer's - Love Beach, they went from Dark classical prog on Works Vol.1 in 1977 to top 40 pop in 1978 at the insistance of Atlantic Records Exec. Amhet Ertugen because he needed a hit or he would drop the contract, Love Beach bombed!
Another example is the Byrds, in 1967 they needed a hit desperately and "created" the single My Back Pages so it sounded similar to their first hit Mr. Tamborine Man, I've heard David Crosby mention that they did that on purpose as a Sell Out also for the record company president and they weren't too proud about it. The reality is, when the record company is going to drop you if you don't get a hit and make money for the fat business man you have two choices, you sell out or you say screw you and change labels!