So, my computer is running slow, and upon looking at my processes, I see that SVCHOST.EXE is taking up 9000+K, as is explorer.exe.

I understand that these processes are necessary for my computer to function properly, I did a virus scan, yet it picked up nothing, but according to this, if it takes more memory than it really needs, it could be a possible virus.

Anyone know what the problem could be? Could a disk defragment solve this slow speed?
My explorer.exe takes up 10 000 kb, and my svchosts (got 6 of them running for some reason) takes up anything from 4 mb to 20 mb. I just formatted and reinstalled windows and got adaware, anti-virus and peerguardian up so I doubt anything's on my harddrive.

maybe it's normal
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
well the problem with anti virus stuff is that if your using more than 1 it slows down your computers performance
You shouldn't worry about this. It is normal, and there is no virus on your computer. I have a program that takes up 71000 K, along with 7 other programs that range form 12000 K - 25000 K which is svchost.exe and my computer works fine. You should run a Disk Defragment once a week, as this cleans up any unused files that take up space, and puts things where they should be so the computer doesn't have a hard time finding it. So don't worry, just run a disk defragment and let the computer try and fix it. If this still doesnt work, you may have a possible virus that can not be deteched and will have to be removed manual. Hope this helps.

Any Questions email me at michael_1391@hotmail.com
I got AVG running right now, that's it, and as the one dude pointed out, I got 5 or more SVCHOST.exe running.

Quote by michael_1391
You shouldn't worry about this. It is normal, and there is no virus on your computer. I have a program that takes up 71000 K, along with 7 other programs that range form 12000 K - 25000 K which is svchost.exe and my computer works fine. You should run a Disk Defragment once a week, as this cleans up any unused files that take up space, and puts things where they should be so the computer doesn't have a hard time finding it. So don't worry, just run a disk defragment and let the computer try and fix it. If this still doesnt work, you may have a possible virus that can not be deteched and will have to be removed manual. Hope this helps.

Any Questions email me at michael_1391@hotmail.com

Really? Well, I'll try it. Thanks.
Quote by The Casualty
So, my computer is running slow, and upon looking at my processes, I see that SVCHOST.EXE is taking up 9000+K, as is explorer.exe.

I understand that these processes are necessary for my computer to function properly, I did a virus scan, yet it picked up nothing, but according to this, if it takes more memory than it really needs, it could be a possible virus.

Anyone know what the problem could be? Could a disk defragment solve this slow speed?

Svchost.EXE is a ligitimate file. Either with windows or some Anti-Virus program. I wouldnt worry about it if i was you. And you IE is using about the same RAM as its supposed to.
There seems to be nothing out of the ordinary.
Quote by iHurricaneGTR

Goats are like mushrooms.
When you shoot a duck,
I'm afraid of toasters.

Quote by Avedas
South Korea should have their Starcraft league members double as military strategists.
Not IE, explorer.exe.

Anyone see anything that shouldn't be there?
Last edited by The Casualty at Jan 20, 2007,
Quote by The Casualty
Not IE, explorer.exe.

Anyone see anything that shouldn't be there?

I'd check things with numbers...or weird names.

Like that .....08.exe, know exactly what it is?
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
thats all good in that picture. but just run the disk defragment if your computer is running slow. should help it a bit.
Quote by La Qotsa
I'd check things with numbers...or weird names.

Like that .....08.exe, know exactly what it is?

that is HP see how it has hp then something else. HP is a brand. he probable has a HP computer, or printer ect. Theres nothing to worry about in the picture. he just needs to clean his computer i bit thats all.
Firefox is horrible for me >_>

and as Michael Said, do a disk defragment.
Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>disk Defragmenter
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
close all other programs and let your computer defragment. it takes a long time to defragment, and alot longer with programs such as the internet, windows media player ect. Believe me. my old computer took 18 hours to defragment with no programs running. its a long process especcially if you hardly ever do it.
Um, explorer.exe is basically Windows. If you end it your system crashes, ending it basically restarts your computer. There's also no real way to reduce the demands it places on your system, it's basically the baseline for performance that you're going to be getting out of your computer.
Quote by Meths
Really, it's quite gutting that we'll all be dead by the time the earth is entirely underwater because I really want to stick your head underwater while standing on Everest and say "if sea levels aren't rising, HOW COME YOU'RE DYING?!"
Quote by jammoe
Um, explorer.exe is basically Windows. If you end it your system crashes, ending it basically restarts your computer. There's also no real way to reduce the demands it places on your system, it's basically the baseline for performance that you're going to be getting out of your computer.

Yeah, I knew that, when I first got this computer, it ended because I thought it was Internet Explorer, learned my lesson.

Well, the defragmentation is complete. My computer is running considerably better now.