Page 1 of 3
I am 14 Y/O and have been playing for 4 months now and i came up with these. i recorded it with a crappy best buy mic and mixed it with audacity. so its kinda a rough recording. there arent any vocals yet because i dont have any lyrics. so tell me what ya think and tell me which one u like the most if u listened to them all. enjoy http://www.purevolume.com/blackorchids
http://blackorchids.dmusic.com/ http://www.purevolume.com/blackorchids
http://www.soundclick.com/blackorchids
My Music
http://www.myspace.com/theocifers
GUITARS:
Gibson ES-335
Gretsch Pro Jet
Guild Acoustic
1958 Harmony Hollowbody Archtop
AMPS & EFFECTS:
Vox Valvetronix AD50VT
Vox V847A Wah Pedal
Electro-Harmonix USA Big Muff
Danelectro Daddy-O
Last edited by TeXaS_db at Feb 19, 2007,
Pretty good. I liked two sides the most. Not bad dude keep it up.
The Mariachi Player of the Church of Zeppelinism. PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Quote by soulfly_freak
men were given a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to use one at a time...

Member #2 of Rory Gallagher Fan Club PM dazzler16 to Join
Sounds good man, keep up the good work. Awesome for only playing for three months.
Fender Strat Roland Ready Edition
Martin D-16GT Acoustic
Fender Cyber Twin Amp
Marshall G50R CD Amp
My Myspace Music
You're doing very very well for only playing for three months, Two sides is a very cool song and I really enjoyed You Knew, the lead part for that song was pretty neat, it's a little out of key though, but you'll learn about that soon enough :-)
Do you think that I could download Two Sides and fiddle around with a lead part for it and then send it back to you to see what you think? I was listening to it and picked up my guitar and it just sorta came outta me so I had to ask :-) A little shameless I know...My email is mkylman@gmail.com, which is where I'd send you the file from;

Keep on rockin' dude! You definitely have a lot of potential at your fingertips!

Michael
sure i dont care my email is db_92_texas@hotmail.com if u want i can give u a version that doesnt have the lead in it if it would help you
My Music
GUITARS:
Gibson ES-335
Gretsch Pro Jet
Guild Acoustic
AMPS & EFFECTS:
Vox Valvetronix AD50VT
Vox V847A Wah Pedal
Danelectro Daddy-O
i listened to two side, and it is pretty good for have been playing 3 months. seems like you have got a hold of the chord changes. keep it up.
Like everyones been saying this shows a lot of potential considering your experience. Most people are quite sloppy at three months and there is a lot of excess noise and random notes and these are absent for the most part. One thing though the part with the slides seems a little rushed/fast for the rest of the song. It would sound better in my mind either a little slower or just faster as it is kind of in between and doesn't really fit in beat-wise with the other measures
Two sides was cool man. For 3 months you have good timing and it had a cool feeling to the song. Definately keep working on it dude
For three months, really not that bad. You have some solid song ideas here. What I'd suggest you do is just record them with a metronome. Often times people who started recently get a little too caught up in playing perfect and mess up a little tiny bit on the timing. I'm sure you can fix that and your songs will be pretty nice!

I liked Two Sides more also. "You Knew" sounds good too but a little bit out of tune. Maybe you're playing the wrong notes though. Don't be afraid to play different things and steer far from the melody.
my music myspace!

Quote by cefasnacht
Quote by Dobzilla
I've never had peanutbutter...
wtf!?!?!?!
Quote by Murph_DeVane
Like everyones been saying this shows a lot of potential considering your experience. Most people are quite sloppy at three months and there is a lot of excess noise and random notes and these are absent for the most part. One thing though the part with the slides seems a little rushed/fast for the rest of the song. It would sound better in my mind either a little slower or just faster as it is kind of in between and doesn't really fit in beat-wise with the other measures

which parts with the slides i slide alot in this song
My Music
GUITARS:
Gibson ES-335
Gretsch Pro Jet
Guild Acoustic
AMPS & EFFECTS:
Vox Valvetronix AD50VT
Vox V847A Wah Pedal
Danelectro Daddy-O
these riff are really good man, i could bearly play crap after 3 months. it took me forever to start writing my own stuff. anyway keep it up and start jamming with some other musicians i know that helped me a lot. peace.
I agree with juzcook. The atmosphere of the recording is pretty good. It sounds dark and sombre, something that you could probably take further with a small bit of delay.

The sound quality isn't too bad for audacity, just play around with the high and low pass filters to remove the hiss.

Nice one
I liked both songs, two very different moods but both expressed very well. Of the two I actually preferred You Knew, nice and chilled out whilst being a little bit quirky at the same time. Yeah it wasn't quite in tune but I got the idea.

Keep it up!
yea, like it was said before, pretty impressive stuff for 3 months. I liked both, though maybe you should try to change the melody abit on 'you knew'. The 'wrong notes' make it interesting, but in my opinion, fewer would be better
(again, well done for your technique)
I liked You Knew, very impressive for three months.

Btw i couldn't get onto your purevolume pages. Link Check?

Anyway, the lead parts sound very like buckethead which at three months in an astonishing feat. Keep up the good work you've got serious potential to be a great guitarist.

Cheers for the Crit.
I put a new version of you knew called The New You Knew check it out and tell me which you knew ya like the most
My Music
GUITARS:
Gibson ES-335
Gretsch Pro Jet
Guild Acoustic
AMPS & EFFECTS:
Vox Valvetronix AD50VT
Vox V847A Wah Pedal
Danelectro Daddy-O
Wow, I really like this new version of You Knew; That lead guitar you put in is very nice, really solid and your bends are nearly perfect; Definitely an improvement from the "old" You Knew; Very nice job dude! Oh, I uploaded the different versions of Lost Again onto my dmusic: http://mkylman.dmusic.com/ (click on more when you get to that page and it'll show them in order)

Keep it up man, keep playing and don't ever give it up!

Michael ^_^
Last edited by fingersofflame at Jan 23, 2007,
There's great potential in all this stuff, especially if you're only a beginner. Some good ideas in "Two sides" & if you threw away most of "just messin around" there's probably a song in there too (I guess that's why it's called just messin around....)

And "You Knew" and "The New you Knew" are fantastic for someone who's just learning. Nice bends. Lead is satisfyingly sparse.

Keep it up. I'd be interested to hear any of your future recordings. I couldn't play anything after three months. Many say I still can't.
Not bad at all for someone who's been playing for only 3 months.

On "You Knew" I liked the bright notes on top of the bass. Some of the high notes sounded out of tune, and I'm not sure if this is just an intonation problem or maybe you were pressing too hard and bending the notes. Worry about that later, but it's something to consider.

If these are original compositions, then you are well on your way. Most beginners languish because they find and play what they like, then run out of gas. Since you compose your own stuff, the only limit is your imagination.

Keep at it. I can see your potential.

Noman
Thanks for the crit on my song. I really like the song "Two Sides" and the use of the rests, keeps the listener listening and paying attention to the music. Also the recording quality isn't to bad until it gets to 2:45 somethin. Good job keep up the good work!
Holy crap dude! Only 3months?!

I liked 2sides the best and it showed alot of potential!!

I liked both of the You Knews but i liked part two alot better!!
you knew 2 is really good if i was playing that well after three months i would be well happy. The quality isn't that bad either i have heard alot worse.

Any chance of a crit? Of your heart is our beatbox.
link
the was great for only playin 3 months. keep it up and practice as much as possible
thats very good for three months. three months i couldnt do anything, much less come up with riffs like that. my favorite was you knew.
Pretty good for only 3 months of playing. Hell I couldn't compose anything till recently so . Keep it going. Try using another program for recording though, you might have some nice suprises . I'm using Tracktion.
Two sides:

Nice solid sound you got there. Sounds great for three months. I can tell you have been playing for three months, but at least your in tune unlike most other people You have a good sense of timing as well.

Nice job!
Alta Vera - My real life alternative rock band.
Ashen Spire - My personal metal band.

Super Mario, F-Zero & Dragonball Z covers!

PSN: whatev27

Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?

thought two sides was pretty good, like the slidey part but it was maybe a bit too fast. opening riff good and nice chords, i definitley think you should write some words - it would make it less boring. not too sure about just messin around, but i thought the part that starts around 0:19 was good. you knew i think your best song, cool guitar riff and chords, would again be much better with words and a bass and drum part. i reccomend using something like modplug tracker, which you can do drums and bass and loads of other stuff on without using the actual instrument. very mature for only playing 3 months dude you doing well
they were both pretty good, maybe add a bass line?

vocals would be good, especially for two sides.

crit mine? (in sig)
Quote by JoNnHannah
I'm homeschooled because I got tired of the corporate conformist administration.

So I have a pretty crime free school, unless i decide to kill someone.

The Search [GP5] C4C
Hey, there's no such thing as out of tune if you write it yourself! Remember that!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
two sides is pretty good. I like it nice and dark sounding. The only thing i disagree with is the intro went on to long. The notes can definitely be played for that long, but about half way through you need to add chords behind it. And when it goes back to that intro i would think it should have some chords behind it....other that that though i like it alot. Once you have lyrics for it, it should be a really nice song
Out of all those, Two Sides is the best. It creates a good atmosphere. The only thing I noticed is that when you play a little heavier on the lower strings, I'm getting some distortion like you overdrove the microphone. That may have just been my speakers though. You're much better than I was at 3 months, that's for sure!
Rig

Jackson DK2M -> ISP Decimator -> Peavey 6505 Combo
Good job, very clean, and no mistakes which is impressive, try and add another guitar part, or other instruments and ull be set. Thanks for the crit!
just added a new song of mine called it might have been. its kinda a rough recording. toook only one take. had to play it on my crappy guitar which is like the hardest to play . its mostly for slide but i dont have my new guitar yet so i to work with what i had. tell me what ya think
My Music
GUITARS:
Gibson ES-335
Gretsch Pro Jet
Guild Acoustic
AMPS & EFFECTS:
Vox Valvetronix AD50VT
Vox V847A Wah Pedal
Danelectro Daddy-O
You should definately write some lyrics for Two Sides and add a bass line. I think its a very good song tbh. Wish I was as good as u are when I had been playin for 3 months lol
Page 1 of 3