I have been playing guitar for about 3-4 months, but don't seem to be getting any better. I think it's my bad practice regimen, so I am asking the experts here to create one for me. I would like it to be at least 30 min, but it can be as long as 60 min. I want to concentrate on chords and scales as those give me the most problems. I will mainly be practicing on an acoustic, but also on a Strat at times.

I am looking for a very specific regimen, so nothing like "just do chords and scales". Something very specific like: Do each major chord 10 times, then each minor chord 10 times, then X scale 10 times, then Y scale 10 times, etc. I need something very specific like that which will help me build speed, finger memory, and a better stretch.

Is anyone able to help me out?
My gear...

Samick Les Paul (AV6VB) Guitar w/ SD Alnico2/JB
Marshall AVT150H halfstack
Schecter Stiletto Elite-4 Bass
Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
5 mins - stretching hands + warming up, playing stuff you already know to get used to playing guitar again.

5-15 minuits - chords, play every chord a few times, major then minor. then try to play every one without tabs or a guide.once you have mastered that, both open chords and 5ths [powers], then prehaps chords when using a capo.

15-30 - scales, pentatonics in every position is a good start, then learn major and minor blues chords, and prehaps some modes.

of course, you could then play for HOURS learning new songs, improving speed, posture, positioning, and just as important, getting your tone right!
.My Rig.

Ibanez GAX75
Laney LV300T
Behringer UD100 ULTRA DISTORTION [lol]
Dano Octave Metal
Dunlop Crybaby
Thanks, but need something more specific than that. Something I can print out and just look at it without having to decide on which chords or scales to do. Need a step by step regimen.
My gear...

Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
You want someone to played the damned instrument for you while you're at it?
Originally Posted by apocalypse13
What, does singing "Moderfukin death, Sat@n is t3h 1337!!" make you feel tough?

Gear:
Schecter C1 Hellraiser (EMG 81/85)
Framus Dragon Head
Orange PPC2x12 cab
Here's an excersise I use to help speed picking. Alternate pick every note, starting with a upstroke. When you get up to speed its a really cool lick, very Dimebag ish

e|----------------------------------------------------------------------12--12--15-12-15-17~-|
B|------------------------------------------------------12-12--15-12--15-15-------------------|
G|---------------------------------12-12--14-12-14--14----------------------------------------|
D|------------12-12--14-12-14--14-------------------------------------------------------------|
A|-14-12-14--4-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
E|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
Quote by Cecil Gonzales
Here's an excersise I use to help speed picking. Alternate pick every note, starting with a upstroke. When you get up to speed its a really cool lick, very Dimebag ish

e|----------------------------------------------------------------------12--12--15-12-15-17~-|
B|------------------------------------------------------12-12--15-12--15-15-------------------|
G|---------------------------------12-12--14-12-14--14----------------------------------------|
D|------------12-12--14-12-14--14-------------------------------------------------------------|
A|-14-12-14--4-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
E|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Is the 4th note on the A string a "4" or a "14"?
My gear...

Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
I'll try and help.

5 mins at start just to stretch your fingers, play random chords and scales just to get your fingers going again. I always do this cos if I go straight into trying to learn a song, I can never do it.

30 mins - Do the major chords. C,D,E,F,G,A,B. Try to learn the different version of these chords as well. You can play an open G, but you can also play the barred G. So do a kind of sequence. From C to D, then from C to D to E etc. Work the barre chords in as well. Im not gonna tell you to play each chord however many times because thats just lame. Keep playing it till you get used to switching between chords. Once youve done this sequence, the next day try another sequence. The basic aim is to get you moving to different chords faster and more accurately.

30 mins - Learn some basic scales. I recommend learning the Blues scales, all 5 modes. Take one mode a week and become fluent with it. Improvise within that one mode. When youve learnt two modes, work them with each other.

When youve done all 5 modes, get the Pentatonic Minor and Major done.

TBH, you need to practice more than one hour. Try to do atleast 2 hours, learn some songs. Thats the best way you'll learn to switch between chords. You dont have to do the whole 2 hours in one chunk, split it up.

Hope I helped.
Start learning some theory now. Learn on scales and harmony work. How to construct cords, etc.

For scales, coils, etc. buy this book and use it as a practice guide - The Guitar Grimoire - The Exercise Book.

For cords - as you learn theory try to construct your own all along the fret board. Use a piece of paper and write them down, or whatever it takes. This will both help you understand harmony better and become more familiar with the fret board. It's hard work but I wish I would have had the same guidence and disipline when I started out.