any tips on fingerpicking. i've been playing for about 15 years and just can't get it. i think my right hand fingers may be retarded
put your thumb on on the low E
index on the G
middle on the B
ring on the e

stick out your thumb like your hitchhiking whilst resting on the E

put pads of the fingers slightly below the strings (by pads i mean the parts of the fingers that you would use to fret a note) stand the fingers up a little so the tips are perpendicular to the face of the guitar and the rest of the fingers are curled

do not move the wrist and the hand should not move at all, only the fingers
do not rest any finger on the body of the guitar, it will be a crutch

now hold an E chord

All these are in 4/4 time
start with-------------------Then try-----------------------Then

e-----R----R----R----R----|-----------R----------R---|--------R-----------R-------
B-----M----M----M----M----|--------M----------M------|--------M-----------M-------
G-----I----I----I----I----|-----I------------I-------|----I------I-----I------I-----
D------------T------------|--------------------------|-------------------------------
A-------T---------T-------|---------------T----------|---------------T---------------
E--T----------------------|-T------------------------|--T-----------------------------

The thumb plays the bass notes. Where i put the thumb moving, that is for applicable alternate bass notes of the chord, so you ought to know those already

you might hear the italian names for the fingers

thumb=pulgar
Index=indice
middle-medular
ring=anular
The only you can do is practise... there's nothing else to do, I would really like to give you a magic spell to help but there is none...
Dreaming of freedom is easy to do
You have to fight and win but never lose.
Lol, have you practiced fingerpicking for any of these 15 years? Mainly all you have to do is keep practicing different songs that use fingerpicking.
a drill my teacher taught me which helps speed and is really simple and sounds pretty nice is.
e- 3- two times
b- -3
g2- -

e-2- two times
b- -3
g2-3

e-0- two times
b--3
g2--

go from pattern 1 to 2 to 3. for the g use your thumb, b pointer, and e ring.
also you could learn nothing else matters by metallica. great for working on your fingerpicking and sounds nice on acoustic
#64 in the Alter Bridge rocks club!

LTD MH-400
Line 6 Uber Metal
Line 6 Echo Park
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by yawn
Lol, have you practiced fingerpicking for any of these 15 years? Mainly all you have to do is keep practicing different songs that use fingerpicking.

sad, ain't it? no I can fake it pretty well w/thumb and forefinger, but i'd really like to learn proper tecnique
i took a class last semester in beginning classical guitar so i wrote a little of what we learned the first couple of weeks