what is the best way to record an electric guitar with just a mic plugged in the computer recording it on audacity putting the mic right in front of my acoustic works perfect but i put my mic by my amp and it always came out crappy sounding for example listen to one of my songs called You Knew and u will c when it is clean it is ok but when a heavy distortion is on it is hard to hear o and if u do listen to one of my songs could u please crit on then please
My Music
http://www.myspace.com/theocifers
GUITARS:
Gibson ES-335
Gretsch Pro Jet
Guild Acoustic
1958 Harmony Hollowbody Archtop
AMPS & EFFECTS:
Vox Valvetronix AD50VT
Vox V847A Wah Pedal
Electro-Harmonix USA Big Muff
Danelectro Daddy-O
putting the mic right in front of my acoustic works perfect but i put my mic by my amp and it always came out crappy soundin

Microphones don't lie, dude. If you amp sounds like crap with a mic in front of it, your amp sounds like crap.

The problem here is the average guitar rig sounds nothing like the real deal amps used on recordings. I hear the kids using their Line6 or Boss Metal Zone pedals. This fizzed out, toneless sound is NOT what you hear on your favorite recordings. For some reason, a lot of beginners like this fizzed out sound when they start playing.

99% of the guitar tone is in the amp when it comes to recording (assuming we have a decent player, song, etc). So play with your amp until it comes fairly close to the guitar tone on your favorite cds. You'll probably be making some extremely adjustments, but this will get you much closer to a great tone.

By the way, recording direct almost always sounds terrible if you want it to sound like a real guitar. Def Leopard got it right, but they didn't want a real guitar sound, they wanted a girl guitar sound.

Brandon