I dont know who I would call the darkest pop band. And by pop I mean popular. Not teen band stuff. And by popular I mean something your parents can tell you the name of the song.

Black Sabbath was pretty popular and of course dark for their time same as Zepplin but I think Nirvana wrote some dark songs such as "Come on Death". But what other bands whould you consider dark pop bands?
Quote by AWA
Lou Reed, methinks.

I dont think of him as pop that much. No disrespect I love VU but if you played on of their songs to a group of 25 people, I bet few could tell you who it is.
The Cure.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Reed is tricky because he writes a lot of songs with pop sensibilities, but he isn't really what most would consider mainstream. However you class, him, though, he's still a god.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
Quote by true_teammate
Good Charlotte and AFI are pretty dark. Heavy too. They kinda scare me.

AFI sure. But Good Charlotte? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

youre scared by Good Charlotte because of their darkness and heaviness.
Ill tell you what the doors are really "dark" if you listen to jims lyrics or read his poems (and not just the popular ones) but that man was crazy.
How come no-one's mentioned Pink Floyd yet..?
Quote by The Leader
Same difference? Meaning its differences are exactly alike, and are parallel in opposite? So they have the exact same thing wrong with them. Two identical twins have scars, but the scars are in the exact same place, so their differences are the same.
Quote by .Sidewinder.
How come no-one's mentioned Pink Floyd yet..?

Really, I think The Wall is the extent of Pink Floyd's darkness. There's some others, but that's as dark as they get.
^ are any of those acts actually pop?

Well apart from The Cure, I guess.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Quote by Joshrocker48
AFI sure. But Good Charlotte? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

youre scared by Good Charlotte because of their darkness and heaviness.

He was probally being sarcastic.

Misfits.
Joy Division.
Holy Bible-era Manic Street Preachers.
La mayyitan ma qadirun yatabaqqa sarmadi
Fa idha yaji' al-shudhdhadh fa-l-maut qad yantahi

Raptoral judgement upon all our sins
This placid island of ignorance
Quote by chylde_of_fire
Joy Division.
Holy Bible-era Manic Street Preachers.

what idiot would call joy division a pop band... omfg
Quote by .smudged.
what idiot would call joy division a pop band... omfg

The same kind of idiot who would call Pink Floyd, Misfits, or Black Sabbath pop bands, to name a few from the thread. Threadstarter stated that 'Pop' in this context referred to popular music rather the bubblegum rubbish thats filling the charts.
La mayyitan ma qadirun yatabaqqa sarmadi
Fa idha yaji' al-shudhdhadh fa-l-maut qad yantahi

Raptoral judgement upon all our sins
This placid island of ignorance
Last edited by chylde_of_fire at Jan 20, 2007,
Quote by chylde_of_fire
The same kind of idiot who would call Pink Floyd, Misfits, or Black Sabbath pop bands, to name a few from the thread. Threadstarter stated that 'Pop' in this context referred to popular music rather the bubblegum rubbish thats filling the charts.

I know he means popular music dude..
Radiohead.

Why has no-one mentioned them yet?
The more you lick them
The more you like them

Not for the first time in my life, I curse my bad luck.
Quote by rx_eb
Pink Floyd? Pop?

are you retarded?

no no no

misfits? pop? poppy riffs? omg! these young ppl!
Quote by Rundle
Radiohead.

Why has no-one mentioned them yet?

Radiohead is more depressing than dark imo
Quote by true_teammate
Good Charlotte and AFI are pretty dark. Heavy too. They kinda scare me.

Please, Please...NEVER incluide AFI and Good Charlotte in the same sentence. EVER.
Not that they sound all too dark, but I was surprised when I read some Blue October lyrics. That could just be me, though. They're not dark, but the tone of the lyrics caught me off guard.
Cause I love feelin' dirty
And I love feelin' cheap
And I love it when you hurt me
So drive those staples deep
Quote by glm
He was probally being sarcastic.

Misfits.

The Misfits aren't really popular though, are they? Not like Joy Division or The Cure anyways.
Quote by chylde_of_fire

if music is filling the charts, its popular. it wouldnt be there if people didnt like it.

i mean, i like Floyd better than Fall Out Boy, say, but if you ask most people today, Fall Out would be more "popular" and in turn would be filling the charts
Quote by neidnarb11890
The Misfits aren't really popular though, are they? Not like Joy Division or The Cure anyways.

I would say more people know about Misfits than those. Joy Division especially.
If morning's a bitch with open arms, night's a girl who's gone too far.

OMGWTFBBQ
Quote by Jearl
if music is filling the charts, its popular. it wouldnt be there if people didnt like it.

i mean, i like Floyd better than Fall Out Boy, say, but if you ask most people today, Fall Out would be more "popular" and in turn would be filling the charts

I am pretty sure Floyd has sold more albums then fallout boy.