Page 1 of 3
I say false.

www.myspace.com/bluegoose8255

song= ownag3

However, I have found my Solid State amp (roland micro) can do much better lead distortion. I used my tube for rhythm and my cube for lead.

What setups do you use for your strats to get the metal tone?
no offense but that was pretty terrible

and its not that strats cant do metal its that they are better suited for blues and things of that type
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.

Quote by gunther_sucks
Hey you look kind of like me.

Except for the sexy man goatee, and kickass shades. And sweet guitar.

I'm jealous.
Quote by Vandaliztik
no offense but that was pretty terrible

and its not that strats cant do metal its that they are better suited for blues and things of that type

cmon, I made it in like 3 hours today
Quote by fredthecat
Iron Maiden used Strats.

Yeah, but then again they take out all the pickups and reinstall Seymour Duncans I think.
Sepultra only uses fat strats
I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later. -R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
Its pretty nice.
I couldn't do better. Well thats cuz I suck tho.

But I play metal with my strat and it rocks
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Thats an HSS strat... I want to see a SSS strat play metal.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
every player in maiden uses a SSS strat, except dave murray sometimes uses an HSH
Guitars:
Fender MIM Telecaster
Epiphone SG Goth
Ibanez Soundgear Bass
Amps:
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60 DSP
Crate BT-50
when black sabbath was recording their first album, tony iommi used a strat. When they were almost done with album, it got destroyed somehow, and since left-handed guitars were nearly impossible to find back then (especially on short notice), he had to use another he had bought a few years back: his famous SG.
What I'm getting at is a Strat was used on 90% of that album, and it set the blueprint for metal. i think it has a little to do with the guitar, but more with the person playing it.
Yeah the people who play metal on SSS strats have hotrails or another stacked hum.
Quote by MaidenRules666
every player in maiden uses a SSS strat, except dave murray sometimes uses an HSH

But then again, they switch out the bridge pickup for a Twinblade or something like that.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
i played a SSS strat through a tube amp,set the pickups to neck-middle, cranked the distortion and it wailed with no hum. yea strats can do metal as long as you can handle it
Quote by MaidenRules666
adrain smith uses hss, but sss rarely
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
Quote by MaidenRules666

But they're all single coil sized humbuckers.
Ok, ill say one thing. Its not the body that chooses wut kinda music it plays. The humbuckers do, and the player. So, if the strat has fender pickups, then metal is not the right genre. If it has sum SD Hotrails, then yes, metal is the genre of choice.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Epiphone SG w/EMG's

Amps:
Peavey Windsor Head w/ JSX Cab
MicroCube (for the sake of practice at college)

Pedals :
Fulltone Full Drive 2 Mosfet
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by gtdude114
Ok, ill say one thing. Its not the body that chooses wut kinda music it plays. The humbuckers do, and the player. So, if the strat has fender pickups, then metal is not the right genre. If it has sum SD Hotrails, then yes, metal is the genre of choice.

I wouldn't say that. Didn't you read all the other responses? Yes, humbuckers work for metal better than singles, but apparently some pretty damn big name bands used SSS strats.
^ Actually, the ones noted don't used singles, they use Strats, but not singles for the bridge. Most of them either have a bucker in the bridge or have single coil-sized humbuckers.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
Quote by JDawg4098

What setups do you use for your strats to get the metal tone?

man for one, that clip suck ass, A banjo would sound better, muddy lead imo.

I got a fat strat and it can tear it up easily! Im putting emg's in because im obsessed. anyway that clip suck..
Quote by fizzle07
when black sabbath was recording their first album, tony iommi used a strat. When they were almost done with album, it got destroyed somehow, and since left-handed guitars were nearly impossible to find back then (especially on short notice), he had to use another he had bought a few years back: his famous SG.
What I'm getting at is a Strat was used on 90% of that album, and it set the blueprint for metal. i think it has a little to do with the guitar, but more with the person playing it.

Wrong. Tony's Strat broke during the recording of the first song. What happened was that a pickup broke. This was before after market pickups and they only had a few days to record so he used his other guitar the SG. It though was loaded with Soap bars!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
My Strat Deluxe plays amazing warm distortion. I wasn't expecting the sound out of it. Then again it might be the amp...
Quote by fredthecat
But they're all single coil sized humbuckers.

thats only Gers
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
The new S-1 switching will tie together two single coils to mimic a humbucker. I can definitely get SG-type tones with my bridge and middle pickups configured that way. I can easily pull off Wolfmother type stuff with my Strat thru a Fender amp. If I had a metal rig, I'm sure I could get good metal tones out of it.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
-Dave Murray uses strats with H-H-H setup (all SD Hot Rails)single coil sized humbuckers
-Adrian Smith uses a strat with H-S-S setup (Dimarzio Super Distortion im pretty sure in the bridge) regular humbucker size
-Janick Gers uses strats with either H-H-H or H-S-H im pretty sure...(dont know exactly what pickups they are though)single coil size humbuckers
Last edited by moulpatr at Jan 20, 2007,
Quote by moulpatr
Dave Murray uses strats with H-H-H setup (all SD Hot Rails)
Adrian Smith uses a strat with H-S-S setup (Dimarzio Super Distortion im pretty sure in the bridge)
Janick Gers uses strats with either H-H-H or H-S-H im pretty sure...(dont know exactly what pickups they are though)

i thought gers used those double coils that had 2 single coils stacked, atleast thats what it looks like in the new album booklet
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
theres too much bandwagon jumping in this thread. a SSS strat will do metal. it depends on the amp too though.
Quote by Sean-Man
i thought gers used those double coils that had 2 single coils stacked, atleast thats what it looks like in the new album booklet

yea you're right i edited my post so its more clear
The strats that Gers generally uses have Seymour Duncan JB Jr. pickups in bridge and neck, along with a vintage single coil in middle if I am not mistaken.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
A damn telecaster can sound "metal" with a good enough amp and enough distortion. (Maybe.........)
I use my strat to play metal, its SSS.... just put in single coil humbuckers and you're set rather nicely.
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
Replace The Pickguard to a H/S/S or a H/H or H/S/H Get a Dimarzio X2N in The Bridge Perfect For Metal
i think it mostly depends on how ur amp is and stuff...
like a really "metally" amp could go with any guitar imo.
i have a strat but i don't really play metal so yea.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Motorhead uses SSS Stratocasters!!
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
Hell my Squier Fat Strat plays nice chunky sounds, just gotta actually work with the thing a little.
Oppression, quiet and Repressed
Swept under the seams
the bed of the acquiesced
where we sleep, insomniac dreams
with an SSS, its possible, but you will never get a brilliant metal tone. and definately nothing incredibly heavy
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Page 1 of 3