Page 1 of 2
I tried adjusting my truss rod myself. Now my intonation seems to be screwed up and my strings won't stay in tune.

How do I properly adjust the rod?!?!
dude, why were u touching that thing? never touch your truss rod unless u know what ur doing, thats what i do atleast
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
Quote by Sean-Man
dude, why were u touching that thing? never touch your truss rod unless u know what ur doing, thats what i do atleast

I thought that the neck looked a little bowed. I didn't realize how badly I could mess things up.

Is there anyone here who actually does know what they're doing who can help me?
Last edited by fimbulwinter at Jan 20, 2007,
ok what you do is take a screw driver and turn the truss rod right as far it goes.....

Then soak it in water for a week.
That will return it to normal.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by Woogles
ok what you do is take a screw driver and turn the truss rod right as far it goes.....

Is that true, or is it some kind of cruel prank that will snap my neck?
think along the lines of "to play like slah press alt+f4"^^^
Epi Lp Custom-->Ernie Ball VPJR-->Visual Sound Jekyll And Hyde-->Boss TU-2-->Boss Tr-2-->ISP Decimator-->Dan-Electro Reel Echo-->MXR Micro Amp-->Laney VC-30 2x10

The Cubists
Quote by Woogles

DO WHAT THIS MAN SAYS

P.S. follow this mans advice after does it to his favorite guitar...
Quote by fil69
Hu r emos???

Quote by .Sidewinder.
could someone translate that last post for me please?
i think its time to cut your losses and take it to a professional.....and quickly in case you've done some serious damage
Quote by soadquake981
either get it to a repair shop or turn it the opposite way of what you did...

I didn't keep track of the turns I made, so I'm totally lost.
I can't see a truss rod problem being associated with poor intonation and your guitar not staying in tune.

How much did your turn it at once? Which direction did you turn it? Is the neck straight now? There's too many variables to say that your truss rod is your main problem, although it very well may be the catalyst.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Quote by fimbulwinter
I didn't keep track of the turns I made, so I'm totally lost.

dude wtf were u doin?
Quote by AlGeeEater
I can't see a truss rod problem being associated with poor intonation and your guitar not staying in tune.

How much did your turn it at once? Which direction did you turn it? Is the neck straight now? There's too many variables to say that your truss rod is your main problem, although it very well may be the catalyst.

Chris

1. I doubt that I made a full turn in either direction.
2. Both ways.
3. The neck was only slightly bent in the first place, almost imperceptibly so, and now it looks relatively the same.
Take it to a pro, if they **** up, u can sue
Guitars:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Epiphone SG w/EMG's

Amps:
Peavey Windsor Head w/ JSX Cab
MicroCube (for the sake of practice at college)

Pedals :
Fulltone Full Drive 2 Mosfet
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Crybaby
Your truss rod is fine. Is this a Strat? Take a look at the bridge and see if it's parallel to the body. If it's not, you're going to need to tighten the 2 screws in the tremolo cavity (flip the guitar over to the back, and take out the screws holding on the white plate) until it's parallel. That should help solve any tuning problems, although you'll want to intonate your guitar again.

If that doesnt fix it, have a tech look at it. It's almost impossible to tell over the internet.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Quote by fimbulwinter
Is that true, or is it some kind of cruel prank that will snap my neck?

Um, no, it's not a good idea to let your guitar soak in water.
but if u set the NECK in water, you can correct the damage from the warping
Guitars:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Epiphone SG w/EMG's

Amps:

Pedals :
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by AlGeeEater
Your truss rod is fine. Is this a Strat? Take a look at the bridge and see if it's parallel to the body. If it's not, you're going to need to tighten the 2 screws in the tremolo cavity (flip the guitar over to the back, and take out the screws holding on the white plate) until it's parallel. That should help solve any tuning problems, although you'll want to intonate your guitar again.

If that doesnt fix it, have a tech look at it. It's almost impossible to tell over the internet.

Chris

Not a strat.
for the asshole telling him to wreck his guitar, shove off.

thread starter. chill out. ur fine.
listen to algee.^

EDIT:

and u need to intonate the guitar. (tuning along the board)

lets, measure ur neck angle,
and if ur getting any fret buzz.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by gtdude114

You can also take a toaster into the bathtub to heat the water more quickly.
Quote by gtdude114

You're the biggest moron i've ever laid eyes upon. I swear, if you stunk more of ignorance... You're not even funny. Hell, if you atleast got a chuckle out of me you'd be more than the worthless piece of scum that you are.

electricity+water=shortage dumass
Guitars:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Epiphone SG w/EMG's

Amps:

Pedals :
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by fimbulwinter
Not a strat.

What is it?

Chris
Quote by gtdude114
electricity+water=shortage dumass

Apparently you've never tried it?
gtdude stop fukin posting so i can answer this guys question.

if any of u cause this guy to break his guitar im going to get really pissed.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by fredthecat
Apparently you've never tried it?

That gives him all the more reason TO try it.
ok what's ur main concern?

is it the intonation? because that can be fixed.
or is it buzzing some where? if so then what string and frets.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
ok what's ur main concern?

is it the intonation? because that can be fixed.
or is it buzzing some where? if so then what string and frets.

I'll explain my problem in more detail.

Power chords with a root note on the third string soung terrible, with TONS of dissonance.

Using a chromatic tuner, I checked to see if a chord on the twelfth fret of the third string would have the same root note as the open chord. The open chord registered as F. When I tried the twelfth fret, the needle on the tuner wobbles back and forth wildly before finally stopping at G. The problem is, if I adjust the intonation any more the screw starts to come loose.

Also, my bottom string doesn't hold its tuning. And, naturally, if I adjust that string's intonation any more, the screw is too tight.

No buzzing though.
ok let's measure ur necks angle...

hopefully u didnt hear any cracking when u turned the rod.
it's been a little while and maybe the neck has settled a little since the adjustment.

fret the Low E at the first fret. at the same time,
fret the Lowe E at the last fret, where the neck meets the body.

with both places held, look at the middle frets.
where is the string?
if its touching the fretwire there, u dont have enough gap.
if its more than a credit cards thickness up from the wire there, it has too much bend.

try it at ur high e too. make sure both sides of the guitar neck are even.

edit:

we need to measure the neck. and make sure the string and tuner are tight at the headstock for that high e.

then i need to ask, did u change ur strings too?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by fimbulwinter
Power chords with a root note on the third string soung terrible, with TONS of dissonance.

How are you playing those power chords?

Like This:

or:
ok dont quote others in ur replies. sometimes that crashes ug.
anyway. im here. just repost when u can.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Okay, I did the test and on both the highest string and the lowest string there's about a credit card's thickness between the middle frets and the strings.

I'm not really sure what you mean about measuring the neck and making sure the strings are tight against the headstock, though.

Also, I have the same strings that I've had for a couple of months.
ok well the neck angle seems fine.

i wanted u to check the "tuner" at the headstock. make sure the string that's falling out of tune, wasnt loose.

and then ill post an intonation guide. but maybe u can go over how u intonate ur guitar. and if uve ever gotten it in tune before.

SETTING INTONATION:
Most electric guitars provide individual string length adjustment for setting intonation. Fine tuning this length insures that your guitar plays in tune all the way up and down the neck.

Using an electronic tuner, tune your guitar to pitch.
One string at a time, play the harmonic at the 12th fret and then play the fretted 12th fret note.
If the fretted note is sharper than the harmonic, increase the string length slightly until both notes register the same on your tuner.
If the fretted note is flat compared to the harmonic shorten the string length slightly until both notes register the same on your tuner.
Repeat the procedure on all strings until the harmonic and the fretted notes are the same.

*after u check the 12th fret harmonic, u always need to go back and retune the open string.

LAstly, ull want to change those strings. sometimes after an event like this. strings that were already on thier last legs, die.
just make sure u swap one string at a time. dont take them all off at once.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Jan 20, 2007,
I'm going to go do that intonation thing now.

I'll probably be back with the results some time later tonight or tomorrow.

In case I don't post again until tomorrow, I just want to say that I really, REALLY appreciate you taking your time to help me out with this!
no problem. i'll check back in if i see u post.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Page 1 of 2