I download single songs which I want, and also use it as a "sampler". If I like the band, I'll buy the album.
"we want you to download this shit for free because we want you to have music even if you don't have money because that shit is bullshit, needing money for music"
-geoff rickly of thursday

guess it's ok with some bands.
Quote by spazzymagee417
"we want you to download this shit for free because we want you to have music even if you don't have money because that shit is bullshit, needing money for music"
-geoff rickly of thursday

guess it's ok with some bands.

Are you sure he was being pro-downloading? Cause I couldn't understand him.

As for me, I can't be bothered to go out and buy CD's.
if u really like the band ur gonna buy it?? wow...must be some rich!

Downloading is very tempting......if u really respect the band, theb buy CD.
if you respect the band then you would go out and buy the album. like i do
Ibanez RG1527
ENGL Blackmore Sig.
Marshall 1960A Cab
Orange 4x12 Cab

Member of UG's Official Gain \/\/hores - Invite Only
Quote by The Casualty
I download single songs which I want, and also use it as a "sampler". If I like the band, I'll buy the album.

same here.

sometimes it's really hard to find albums you want, especially with obscure metal genres, so you sort of have to resort to downloading.

I download a lot, but always with the view of purchasing the album when I have the money, especially if it's an album I really enjoy. So I only really treat them as samplers.

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Quote by White_Devil
if you respect the band then you would go out and buy the album. like i do

I don't "respect" people I've never met, and that are probably assholes.

Meh.
I used to download stuff, then I started to just use it for samples, now I don't download at all, I use stuff like Pure Volume and myspace to hear them and then I'll buy the cd if I like it.
Quote by DeSean
I download. I need the money more than record companies.

QFT

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
i dont see it as anything wrong. bands still make money from tours and merchandise sales. i think its more so the labels and the industries that make it seem a bad thing; i honestly think most bands dont give a shit if you download their music...i know i dont. i make music for the sake of music not money
I think it depends on the band. I mean The Rolling Stones, for example, have made enough money that downloading won't really hurt them. I'd never download music from local bands/ bands that are just starting though, because they need the money. (I also like owning physical cds with the booklets and what not lol)
I download off Metal blogspots, but not with Limewire or Torrents.
Quote by tronsbasscool
This is my 5th account and I still havn't made any friends

My Rig
ESP Viper 1000
Crate RFX120

<//////>~
I download, over 600 albums I have thanks to downloading.
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
Downloading is 100% acceptable.
No country but the US has beef with it. (Maybe some country that likes to kiss ass will conform, but for the most part, the music-crazy countries like Russia/all of south America don't care).
Those who disagree: What are the downsides to downloading, besides 'breaking the law?'

Taking money away from bands/music companies? Teh OH NOES!!! I took 20 dollars from the billion dollar corporation employing the million dollar bands!! I don't care how many people download music, there are still just as many people buying it. Why should metallica care that I take their money? $9000000 doesn't feel the same as $9000020? BS.

Morality issue? Where's the morality in construction workers making minimum wage while some childish band plays a jerk off song and makes millions? They don't deserve my green. (reference to hanson on that one)

If someone legitimately convinces me that I shouldn't do it, I won't. Until then: suck it, RIAA. I love it when people have 3000 songs that they didn't pay for. Makes me all giggly and warm.
Hah i only download the music if i can't buy the cd yet legally and can't get my parents to buy it for me. Don't really see the reason to buy an edited cd sometimes.
To download or not to download, that is the question. But I forget you don't expect an easier answer.
[IMG]http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/7971/ugsig7ej.gif[/IMG]
I won't go and buy an album made by a band who I've only heard one song by. I'll download, to sample. Then I buy. I won't waste $20-$30
I'm in the 'Australia FTW' Club. Join

Hi
Grow up, get a job and buy a CD. If you actually like the band you'll buy the CD. They're offering a service [their music] and you pay for it; not dissimilar to a plumber, exept with a plumber you can't download and get your tap fixed for free.

Every band has a myspace nowdays, thus invalidating the 'sampling' bullshit.

The sound quality is shit on dowloads anyway
I do both. I dont know if its anywhere else, but in Canada CDs cost at least twice as much as it is in the States because it is still legal for us to download music. However, when I get a good job, I will start buying all the shit that i love out of the ones i have downloaded.
I'm too poor to afford CDs.

This is random but I know a kid who dressed up as a pirate in a box with a sword made of discs. He was an internet pirate. He wore it to school (Seniors are aloud to wear costumes to school for halloween).
I download, mostly because i want albums, and refuse to pay $10 for a piece of plastic that the majority of which will go to some rich lable guys. So i have very little guilt about downloading albums. The only time i will buy albums is at a gig and if the band are operating on a small level...mostly cos i know theres no chance of actually downloading the album.

But i feel a i make up for this by seeing many a live band! which they see far more of the proceeds from

You watch though, when my band releases its LP i will switch sides and start sueing our fans over this shit :P god damn capitalist ideology
Quote by yyeessno

Shows what you know about downloading
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
I just saved a bunch of money on my music collection by switching to BitTorrent, 15 minutes could save you 15 bucks...

and if you don't like it, its not like you wasted money, you can just delete it...
Holy crap, my UG account still exists?
Quote by fronkpies
Shows what you know about downloading

Pwnt

+ alot of the myspaces will only display their hit songs, how do you know that the album has only 3 good songs, and the rest are just fillers?
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
I don't mind downloading from bands that are already well off. But I don't like people who pirate the music of struggling musicians. Like for example, someone going to a local show, buying a CD, then burning it or putting it online for a bunch of people.
Quote by yyeessno
Grow up, get a job and buy a CD.

A) Grow up? How about : "Get a sense of value for money". Most people won't piss away that much money all the time. If I would have paid for all my music, I'd have spent thousands of dollars. The real grown up thing to do is to realize that you shouldn't cut your paycheck for music when it is available for free. Are you going to pay every woman you have sex with because she's providing you a service that other women charge for? No. Terrible reasoning.
B) Where do you download your music from? Shit quality? That has nothing to do with the downloading, bro. just get a higher quality version. Quality isn't at all related to downloading. Hell, it isn't even related to buying. St. Anger could be bought, but quality could never be achieved.
I downlaod a lot of stuff, mostly because I don't have enough money to buy cds. but if I really like an album I'll buy it.
Downloading is not a crime..!Charging 20$ for something that costs 2$ is a crime...Bands get something like 1$ for every CD they sell..They really make money from ads and concerts...
My gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Fender DG-11E Black (Acoustic)
-Marshall AVT50
-Cry Baby "Wylde Wah"
-Roland RE-20 Space Echo
I usually dl albums only if I bought it previously and it got all scratched up or lost. that way I still feel I'm getting what I paid for and they still have my money. I won't ever buy the same cd twice though. They need to come out with an indestructable format then I'll stop downloading altogether. Well music anyways apps are a different ballgame.
Last edited by magicninja_ at Jan 20, 2007,
Download unless you want to support the artists.

Buy Becker even if you don't want to support him. Which if you don't, you are going to hell.
Administrator of the "Guitarists born in 1991 Club" PM me or greendayguitar to join.

Feel free to add me
Quote by yyeessno

Depends on the format. I've got FLAC files(huge and are memory mogers) that are what you call lossless. Ripped at over 1000kbs and there is virtually no loss in quality from the retail version. The files are huge though. I ripped my Vai Anthology as a backup in case of fire and the two discs are over a gig al together.
Quote by X_Op3th_X
Downloading is not a crime..!Charging 20$ for something that costs 2$ is a crime...Bands get something like 1$ for every CD they sell..They really make money from ads and concerts...

Hell yes. I'd rather just download and then send the band $20. FYE is bringing up all their prices lately too. CD's were normally like $13.99, now they're $16.99. That's crap. Especially when it's a CD I could get for $8-$10 directly from label. High prices make me not want to buy CDs. Lower the damn prices and I'll come back and buy.