Man the low wattage tube amp niche is really expanding. Fender have come out with the Champion 600:
http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM07/Content/Fender/PR/Champion-600.html
Aswell as the 57 deluxe:
http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM07/Content/Fender/PR/57-Deluxe.html
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Cool amps! The Champion looks like it might be directly competing with the Epi VJ. I'll be interested to see the pricing on that thing.

As for the '57...

This highly-collectible, 12-watt, all-tube amplifier with 12" speaker will be hand-built, one by one, at the Fender factory in Corona, Calif.

I'm guessing this one might be out of my price range.

Hope to try it out, though.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
Cool amps! The Champion looks like it might be directly competing with the Epi VJ. I'll be interested to see the pricing on that thing.

As for the '57...

I'm guessing this one might be out of my price range.

Hope to try it out, though.

Dude! How many low-wattage tube amps does one UGer need? A VJ, a Nano, and now maybe a Fender? Aah!
Quote by cokeisbetter
Dude! How many low-wattage tube amps does one UGer need? A VJ, a Nano, and now maybe a Fender? Aah!

Ha! They're so much fun, though! I'm watching a little no name 2 watter on eBay in another window as I type this...

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by metallicaman80
Tiny Terror....Tiny Terror....do it.

I've been waiting to find a deal on one. It's like there's a conspiracy to sell the thing for no less than $549.95. But rest assured, I've got my eyes open.

I might be buying a Crate V16 tomorrow, too. If so, I'll have a Vox AD30VT up for sale on eBay soon.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
haha i knew it. epi was just making way too much money for the others to sit still.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
That '57 looks sweet. I may have to try and get my hands on one. I wonder if those were debuted at NAMM or what, cause I wonder how long it will take to get them in stores.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
That '57 looks sweet. I may have to try and get my hands on one.

That thing is gonna be expensive. I'd guess $600-700 at a minimum, and I may be low-balling it.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Ahh, they've finally jumped on the bandwagon like they did with the MH500.

But this is a good band wagon to jump on.

I still thing MESA and THD are pretty much the only companies doing it right though.

MESA have seletable power stages, on the Lone Star Special it goes 30, 15, or 5, and on the new ones its full wattage or 5 wats.

THD have built in hot plates.

IMO it's much better to have an amp that can do gig volumes and bedroom volumes, that way you always have the same tone. But it is probably more expensive.

EDIT: I wish some of these low wattage combos wouldn't come with such crappy speakers and no features (channels, reverb, EQ). Just because the poweramp is stripped down, doesn't mean the rest of the amp has to be.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Last edited by TGM at Jan 20, 2007,
Fender's old Princeton Recording amps had built in attentuators. They're kind of hard to find and pretty expensive, but Fender used to make them.

But I do agree that there needs to be a better market for selectable wattage tube amps, but I also like the low wattage tube market now. Tubes are getting cheaper and the lower wattage means that people just starting to play guitar can get good tube tones for low prices and not have to worry about pissing off the neighbors.
^ Agreed. Like I said before, this is one trend that I definatly love.

I'd also like to see good modeling preamp with say a 5w tube poweramp. That would make a killer practice amp. Vox are kinda on the right path, but not quite there.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Don't think anyone here will be able to afford that. Looks like it's for diehard collectors only. They'll probably get snatched up real quick.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
Quote by xifr
Don't think anyone here will be able to afford that. Looks like it's for diehard collectors only. They'll probably get snatched up real quick.

The one I posted?

Yeah probably. Looks cool, though . I want to hear it and play it though.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by paintITblack39
The one I posted?

Yeah probably. Looks cool, though . I want to hear it and play it though.

Yeah.

From what I gather it's exactly the same as that low wattage 57 amp, but with a different speaker and fancy box.
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
Well they do look sweet but i think theyre gonna be way to expensive. But the Fender 5E3 (deluxe) and Champ are among the most popular kit amps out there. Theyre very cheap if you buy them as a kit.

Check here for decent priced kits
www.ceriatone.com
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Just on a side note, anyone else noticed how fender periodically release special runs of thier amps with a different finish and better speakers? I like that, it means they are listening to their players when they say that stock speakers suck. (I don't know how much they charge for the special runs though, they might cost more than getting an original and replacing the speaker.)
Quote by LuthierofTexas
Fender's old Princeton Recording amps had built in attentuators. They're kind of hard to find and pretty expensive, but Fender used to make them.

But I do agree that there needs to be a better market for selectable wattage tube amps, but I also like the low wattage tube market now. Tubes are getting cheaper and the lower wattage means that people just starting to play guitar can get good tube tones for low prices and not have to worry about pissing off the neighbors.

They didn't have built in attenuators.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
The '57 5e3 Deluxe is a SWEET amp. I built myself one. Really super amp though, it's darker than the later Fenders. Really warm cleans, great bluesy grit and breakup, and good overdrive.

The price on the Fender version will be quite high though, as it's gonna be hand wired in the US. I'll give it 900 bucks lowest starting price.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
The Champion 600 looks very interesting. I'll have to check it out when it hits the stores. The '57 will be out of my price range for now, but maybe in a few years.