I took my Les Paul Smartwood into the shop today to get a small fret buzz problem taken care of, I could have done it myself, but my neck might have been the problem, so why not have a pro do it? Right?

I give him my guitar, fill out the contact ticket and he then lifts it out, CRANKS the truss rod, and hands it back to me "try it now"...... I play it, still fret buzz, but I'm thinking "Man, he sure dug into that truss rod".

I had it back saying "I think it's still buzzing, but you know I think I do need a little higher action?" he then says "Well lets see *Cranks truss rod AGAIN* that will get you through the weekend bring it back next week". I'm just sitting jaw dropped that he cranked the rod again.

I get it home, and the problem of course got worse, and now my truss rod cover is buzzing. How that is possible, I don't know.

He's been the guitar tech there for years. Why on earth would he do something like that? I'm taking it back next week and leaving it, he better take his time this go.

Anyone else have an experience with a horrible tech like this? With all that trouble I might as well have done it myself.
if the guitar is in front of u right now, where is it buzzing?

do u want to measure ur neck angle? where was it buzzing before?

and the screws on the cover werent put back on tightly.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
if he keeps doing that then why take it back to him?
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Ibanez Jump Start
Fender Acoustic
Ibanez Tone Blaster 100 Head
Hartke 412 Cab
Boss Chromatic Tuner Pedal
Boss Noise Suppressor
Ibanez Weaping Demon
i wouldn't take it back there again, he'll probably ruin your guitar permanently
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Fernandes Dragonfly
Peavey Valveking 112

If I could write off your murder, I'd save all of my receipts,
because I'd rather you be dead, than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year - Dethklok
He wasen't taking his time, he wanted it out of his sight for some reason. I filled out the ticket but he cranked the rod and gave it back to me.

It was buzzing above the 12th fret on almost all strings, now it's buzzing everywhere, and the neck is either dead straight, or has a little back bow. If he's been there that long, then I'm sure he can do it right, he just didn't feel like it this time. I mean, this isn't a REALLY cheap guitar, and he just cranks the rod, couldn't believe it. I'm making a list for him on whats wrong since he did that nad dropping it off monday.

EDIT: If he ruins my guitar I'm taking that nice LP Custom off the wall. (whether he likes it or not!)
Last edited by ParryPerson at Jan 20, 2007,
Tell him cranking the damn rod isn't doing diddly-freaking-squat and he needs to try something else.
RETURN THE GUITAR

anything that a guitar tech will mess with that way can't be worth your money. that said, if for some reason you can't return it, take it to a guitar doctor and get him to look at it, then tell the guy at the shop what the guitar guy (the good one) tells you to do to do to your guitar (wow)
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by Ishiga
Tell him cranking the damn rod isn't doing diddly-freaking-squat and he needs to try something else.

Yeah, he probably needs to adjust the bridge. My guitar teacher is also a tech and he told me you cant actually hurt the truss rod unless you turn it so far that you snap it and he said that you would DEF notice bow before that happened. So i wouldnt worry about it too much.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Yeah I can't return it, it was used, and it's been a while.

Just took it in because of the "free setup for a year" deal. My trusted guy just retired, so I might just have to find someone else to bet on. Or make the guitar tech fix his mistakes. I don't understand, he's been there for YEARS and YEARS and is pretty well known in my city.
i was asking u those questions so ud understand what was going on when u returned.
LAf, oh well.

and yes^ u can break ur truss rod without realizing it. ill ud need to do is force a turn or strip the nut.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011